• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone use their GI bill to get a multi-engine rating?

zimm17

Retired
pilot
I'm thinking about getting my multi-engine rating. I'm halfway through my disassociated tour and I'd like to get back into the cockpit. I read that I can use my GI bill to cover 60% of the cost- anyone have any more info on it?

I already have my FAA single engine and rotary commerical ratings.

GaugeNeeded

Carolina MAGTF
I am actually doing this now. It's a lot of work to get it started, but once started the money comes once a month. First, you must attend a VA approved Part 141 flight school. After you find one of those the individual who handles the VA students/paperwork for the school will instruct you to go onto the internet to the VA's gi bill website and look for a fun document called the VEAP. This online document takes a little while, but once you complete it, you must submit it electronically, print out the signature page and mail it into the nearest VA.

Now you wait. The wait can be a week or a couple of months. You will eventually receive a letter from the VA saying that your VEAP has been processed, and approved. You must take the approval letter to the school.

Now while all this is taking place you CAN began flight training. Once you receive your approval the school can go back up to a full calendar year to get you reimbursed. Reimbursement includes everything! Ground school, pre and posts, actual flight time (both dual and solo.)

Once a month your school should present you with a form that lays out all the charges you incurred for the month. At the bottom of the form there will be a payment amount. This should equal 60% of your costs for the month.

That's basically it. Just a couple of side notes though, the multi-engine syllabus must be Part 141 VA approved as well as the school. You must also have a current 1st or 2nd class medical. No 3rd class medicals. And for whatever reason they want you to get a new medical every year. I know, I know they are good for longer, but it's the VA's requirement.

This guidance works for ANY advanced ratings as well. As long you are not trying to get you Recreational Lic, Sport Lic, or PPL you can get reimbursed as I outlined above. Hope this helps.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm thinking about getting my multi-engine rating. I'm halfway through my disassociated tour and I'd like to get back into the cockpit. I read that I can use my GI bill to cover 60% of the cost- anyone have any more info on it?

I already have my FAA single engine and rotary commerical ratings.

Can you use your time in the 60B for the multi-engine rating? Or does the distance between the engines (or lack thereof) make that time not count to the FAA for a multi rating?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Can you use your time in the 60B for the multi-engine rating? Or does the distance between the engines (or lack thereof) make that time not count to the FAA for a multi rating?

To elaborate a little, the things that make non-centerline multi's different, wouldn't apply in a helo. Our aero class has foucused on the effects of a loss of an engine and the assymetric thrust that results. Some times are more critical than others...rotation, etc...and I know that the syllabus is focused on loss of an engine while doing pretty much everything. (Read single engine approaches, patterns, emergencies blah blah blah.

Helos, although they would have problems associated with losing an engine I'm sure...don't suffer the same fate as a multi- fixed winger. I can only imagine this is what the FAA is concerned with as well.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You can to a certain extent. You can get a fixed wing add-on instead of having to fly the full hours in the intial fixed wing syllabus.

So if you have a comm instrument helo, you do a comm multi instument airplane add-on.

Heloanjin

pilot
I used VA to get my multi ticket. It is easy, although you need to be patient.

You might consider skipping the commercial multi and just get multi ATP. That is what I chose to do.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I chatted a little while last summer on my 1/c aviation midshipman cruise with an O-4 (IP at the Lemoore Rhino FRS) who said that he was using his GI Bill money to pay for a B737 type rating. Maybe someone can comment on any difference between getting this type of rating, and something like a multi. Anyways, it surprised me that you could use it for this.

GaugeNeeded

Carolina MAGTF
I chatted a little while last summer on my 1/c aviation midshipman cruise with an O-4 (IP at the Lemoore Rhino FRS) who said that he was using his GI Bill money to pay for a B737 type rating. Maybe someone can comment on any difference between getting this type of rating, and something like a multi. Anyways, it surprised me that you could use it for this.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but it makes sense. The type rating is and would work like an ATP. It is just a question of how the VA would bill it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but it makes sense. The type rating is and would work like an ATP. It is just a question of how the VA would bill it.
The type rating has the same PTS standards as a ATP but it is not an ATP. It is a add on to whatever the grade pilot license you currently hold. If you hold a commercial pilot's license, the type rating is added to your commercial pilot license. You can get a type with a private license if that is your desire.

The solution, request that the type ride also be a ATP ride. Same ride, same PTS but now you have both. Of course, you have to meet all the flight experience requirements for the ATP and have the ATP written test completed.

In the type course I have been to, about half the guys were getting their ATPs with their types.

bluto

I got a type with an ATP MEL. GI bill pays 60 percent. With the 737 you won't get the flight time, but it does make you look better to Southwest and gives you some exposure for the other airlines that make you do some sim work.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Old days ... big deal, I know. Except that I flew the 747 for 25 years ... so if THAT's a 'big deal' .... read on:

I got an MA with the GI Bill ... to prove to myself that I had the "gray matter" ...

I also used the GI Bill for an FE (required to be competitive in the 3-man cockpit days), and an ATP/MEL. No one cares about "type ratings" in which you have virtually NO PIC time in ... believe it. Get it done (ATP), but get it done cheaply .... the Lear's and Falcons and whatever are a waste of $$$$$ and your time. Assuming you have no "real" time in them ... the exception in the "old days" was Southwest ... who wanted a 737 type ... no matter how few hours you might have .... saved them time to train (read: $$$$$) later on.

BTW, my ATP/MEL changed into an ATP/SEL (how many guys have THAT one, I might add ... ) after we crashed and almost "burned" on landing @ Randolph AFB ... :D:eek::D

I had to substitute a S/E for the defunct, nearly crashed & burned M/E ... :D

MEL/SEL .... didn't make didly-squat difference, as long as you had the ATP .... again, assuming no "real" hours in type. :sleep_125