• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone read this article? "The Reality of OCS"

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I'm going to go RPT myself, I listed Taps as 1000 instead of 2200 on my last post.

As always OCS is always changing, more so now as the 'Way Ahead' program is phased in.

nate_j52

I remember they called them "smurfs" in Enlisted boot camp. I tell you what i do remember, that boot camp stink that people have when they are fresh out, you'll see, and the guys who have been already know. I remember having to scrub and take all your stuff to the laundry to try get rid of it.. The sleep in OCS sounds awesome, they use to put us to bed at 2300 and wake us up at 0430, plus sometimes they would get us up and PT us if we had messed up. And during service week we got less sleep than that, they dont have that anymore though.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What's the 'Way Ahead' program?

The "Way Ahead" is the new structure of OCS. 3ish week InDoc, then harder academics, etc. There's more info on here, but what does it matter? You don't have a choice.

On the sleep thing, in reality you will be up at ~0430 everyday to shave/piss/brush teeth/etc, as you don't get hygiene time in the AM. Going to bed, you might be able to get a few extra minutes going to bed at 2130ish later on, but plan 2300 or later early on. OCS is all about time management. I'd rather sleep, not be a zombie, and learn in classes, rather than stay up all night studying and fall asleep in the class. Technique only.

red_ryder

None
I remember they called them "smurfs" in Enlisted boot camp. I tell you what i do remember, that boot camp stink that people have when they are fresh out, you'll see, and the guys who have been already know. I remember having to scrub and take all your stuff to the laundry to try get rid of it.. The sleep in OCS sounds awesome, they use to put us to bed at 2300 and wake us up at 0430, plus sometimes they would get us up and PT us if we had messed up. And during service week we got less sleep than that, they dont have that anymore though.

Ha! If you got to sleep at taps every night, you were doin' it wrong!

GreenLantern330

The "Way Ahead" is the new structure of OCS. 3ish week InDoc, then harder academics, etc. There's more info on here, but what does it matter? You don't have a choice.

On the sleep thing, in reality you will be up at ~0430 everyday to shave/piss/brush teeth/etc, as you don't get hygiene time in the AM. Going to bed, you might be able to get a few extra minutes going to bed at 2130ish later on, but plan 2300 or later early on. OCS is all about time management. I'd rather sleep, not be a zombie, and learn in classes, rather than stay up all night studying and fall asleep in the class. Technique only.

Thanks for that. I do remember reading around on here about the "new OCS" but I just didn't realize it was called the "Way Ahead" program.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ha! If you got to sleep at taps every night, you were doin' it wrong!
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Yea, the week leading up to RLP is busy and you'll be sleep deprived, but after that fateful event you have no excuse for not getting 6 hours of sleep unless you had watch that night. Taps is at 2200...whether or not you go to sleep by that time depends on whether you've accomplished your work for the day, but again you should be able to manage your time properly. I often got to bed by 2145 after RLP.

You will wake up earlier than 0500, always. If for no other reason than your rack has to be perfectly made by the time they call reveille, so that automatically puts you to 0450. Note to newbies: get an extra set of shirt stays on your first uniform issue.

The author of the article obviously didn't "get it," so take it with a grain of salt. The whole purpose of the program is to teach candidates military bearing and to be able to focus on the "mission" when extraneous stressors are applied (like eating spaghetti with a spoon). They're teaching you how to stand up in front of enlisted Sailors and not look like a bumbling retard. To that effect, it works if you can take away the lessons between the lines. But really, OCS is a pump more than a filter...the only way to truly attrite is to quit or be medically DQ'ed. Other than that, you have to be dumb as a brick to attrite.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...tting. If you visit navyocs.com, and on this website, you will find those who feel that OCS is beyond what should be taught.

Best of Luck!
Really? I don't know about navyocs.com, but I have been around the AW block a few times and can't think of anyone that thinks OCS is needlessly difficult, physically or academically. If you didn't "get it" by the time you graduated then you certainly will by the time you get to the fleet. I'm an old AOCS guy and I didn't think THAT program was needlessly difficult, so how the hell can this program be so? Kids!