• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know the record for carrier traps?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Folks at Tailhook said the trap record for NFO was LCDR Arthur Critser with 1,888 traps.

For Pilot it is CDR John R. "Lites" Leenhouts, with 1,645 traps.

Membership has it rewards!!::p :p

I think it was Tailhook that had the article I mentioned that had the info on the RN guy, how did you find out?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I remember reading an article about the guys with the most carrier landings. At the end of the article it said the pilot with the most traps was a Royal Navy guy (CAPT I believe), who had 2600 or 2800-something traps, way above anyone else in the US.

I believe I saw that on the History Channel... the guy was their lead test pilot or such back around WWII.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Folks at Tailhook said the trap record for NFO was LCDR Arthur Critser with 1,888 traps. ...
For the record .... I accept High's and the corporate apology .... :)

*Sigh* They just never listen to ol' LT **** (insert my name here), do they .... ????

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
For the record .... I accept High's and the corporate apology .... :)*Sigh* They just never listen to ol' LT **** (insert my name here), do they .... ????

Some folks hereabouts post replies without reading the whole thread. Negative rep points acknowledged! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Some folks hereabouts post replies without reading the whole thread. Negative rep points acknowledged! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Chief ... you are exempt from this sometimes insipid Officer back and forth. Without Navy Chiefs and Marine Corps Gunnery Sargeants ... I would probably not be alive today .... :)

Go Big Blue, Anchors Away, and Semper Fi ...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
For the record .... I accept High's and the corporate apology .... :)

*Sigh* They just never listen to ol' LT **** (insert my name here), do they .... ????

Heh, You're not getting an apology! I never said you were wrong because I wasn't sure if you were correct or if it was one of those senior moments! :D

Glide

Here's a picture of John "Lites" Leenhouts just before his wedding at Cedar Key, I snapped this photo soon after we arrived...about 60 Harley's were on the trip from JAX.

To say the least he's quite a character!!

DSC00112.jpg

Gainesy

Hi Chaps,
I think the RN pilot who probably fits the picture is Capt Eric "Winkle" Brown. Did a lot of WWII and postwar test flying and has about 500 types in his logbook. Made the first jet deck landing in December 1945. Can't find a reference to his total traps.

Nice site BTW.

Renegade One

None
Folks at Tailhook said the trap record for NFO was LCDR Arthur Critser with 1,888 traps.

For Pilot it is CDR John R. "Lites" Leenhouts, with 1,645 traps.

Membership has it rewards!!::p :p

Wow...talk about resurrecting an "old thread"...but its time has come...due to some frankly "ungentlemanly" comments on another current thread about the good ship ENTERPRISE's "last jet night landing". Here we go:

For pilots, I have no data to dispute "Lites'" record as a Naval Aviator...I know of no U.S. Naval Aviator (e.g., "pilot") with any more.

For NFO's, and the current all-time "U.S. Navy Record" (assuming you're a believer that we're all in this together), the current record holder is Rear Admiral Walter "Ted" [AKA "Slapshot"] Carter, USN, who currently commands CSG-12 onboard USS ENTERPRISE. His current number is "over 2000" (and I expect will continue to grow).

Just thought you'd like to know.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi Chaps,
I think the RN pilot who probably fits the picture is Capt Eric "Winkle" Brown. Did a lot of WWII and postwar test flying and has about 500 types in his logbook. Made the first jet deck landing in December 1945. Can't find a reference to his total traps.

Nice site BTW.

Best info I could find online is 2407 traps for CAPT Brown, Royal Navy. Frankly his record ought to stand.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's a plaque in the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola that lists the most traps in Navy history. Of course I don't remember who was on it.