• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

anyone in the same boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futrMarineBlueAngel

Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem as I am with applying to the USNA. I am going into my Senior year but I don't turn 17 until the Nov. after I graduate. I applied for the Summer Seminar this past year, but wasn't accepted (still can't figure out why...I mean, who wouldn't pick ME??). Can I apply next year since it will be a year before I am eligible to attend?
And this may be far out, but is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to get a waiver for age?

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Dude, at 16 you would be way younger than the rest of your classmates. Since you can only enlist once you are 17 (with parents permission) by law, I doubt there is a way around this requirement. If you want to go to the academy do a year of college first. Go live in the dorm and have fun, but make sure you get good grades. You will still be young when you attend the academy, but the maturity gained while living on your own will help alot.

ghost

Integer1

Banned
Believe it or not, there are actually people paid to know and answer the kind of questions you are asking. Now, we are here to help but our advice is worth the $0.00 we are paid for it. One reason is that we pull alot of stuff out of our butts. However, there are people who can actually look up why you were not accepted to the summer seminar, and how you can proceed with your application. Now, these people not only have access to the information, but they also get paid so that they stay awake and answer phone calls and such.

I think it's the admissions office, or something? (I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.)

Integer1

Banned
Oh, and the number two thing you can do is one of the following:

Pick the reason why you are graduating so early:

1) You are an international student, and high school ends at 17. In this case, you should figure out who can nominate you and let them know about it a.s.a.p.!

2) You studied a lot and didn't play sports. In this case, you should take martial arts or something and figure out who can nominate you and let them know about it a.s.a.p.!

3) You are home schooled. In this case, do #2, since that's what is likely to have happened.

4) Throw away all advice I just gave.

And no, I don't think anybody is in the same boat as you. However, graduating early will be impressive to admissions, so call them and tell them this. Remember that you can start a civilian college and take Chemistry, Calculus and get into USNA after one or two years of college. This is fairly common. Get high SAT scores for your gender, they are always used even if you come from college. Play a sport or something! Also, if you have zero leadership activities, you will be looked at awkward.

The only guaranteed way to get in would probably be to enlist in Nukes at 17 and then reapply for the 5 years you will be eligible. With good dedication and references and scoring in the top in Nuke School, and considering you finished hs early, that would probably do it for you. But I wouldn't go that extreme, if you don't want to enlist. What are your stats? Most Academy midn did not enlist.

futrMarineBlueAngel

I am graduating early because I skipped 8th grade when my step-dad got transferred to Millington, Tn. I was going into geometry in 8th grade and they didn't offer it in middle school here, so they told me i could try high school for 6 weeks. By the end of the first 6 weeks I was on the Freshman basketball team and in a school play and in NJROTC, so, of course, I stayed. Integer 1, here are my stats...I think. I do have a few things you could call leadership roles....ummmm...I am an athlete. I'm an all district goalie and the starting short stop on our schools softball team. I am 1 of about 4 candidates in my NJROTC unit up for CO or XO next year. I went to Girls State. Being the oldest of 8 kids has to count for something too I hope. O, I'm a Girl Scout <- the only thing I've ever done because the awards look good on applications. I've got a 3.8... GPA weighted, and somewhere around a 3.6 unweighted. 29 ACT, but I have to take it again, and I have yet to take my SAT. I was ranked 8 of 290 in my class last semester and I haven't seen where I am from this past semester. I'm taking AP Calc next year to give me a boost for college.

I am looking at William & Mary right now to attend for a year, but I would rather not enlist. I have thought about. I want to go into the US Marine Corps after the USNA and then go to flight school. Hopefully I can get the chance to fly F/A-18's.
There are my "stats" I guess.

Thanks for those who have responded so far. Anything else anyone?
(I can't spell, forgive the young grasshopper :icon_rage argggggggg......)

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I suppose you could apply to USNA anyway and talk to admissions. You may not get a direct appointment to the Academy since you'll be too young, but maybe they'll find a spot for you at either NAPS or another prep school.

When I applied I remember seeing a parent consent or something for candidates who were under 18, but I could be wrong.

Just go to USNA's web site and look up the eligibility requirements or get ahold of your local Blue and Gold Officer. They'll probably give you the best advice and since you're definitely competitive, they should work with you.

Good Luck

Integer1

Banned
Being good at one or ten sports doesn't imply leadership, but the Academies like them because they have sports teams to fill, and they hope one learned how to take wins and losses gracefully, how to work with others towards a common goal, and because sports participation and achievements show signs that the participants have been able to focus themselves on improvement over a period of time. NJROTC + Girl Scouts + 3.8 GPA + being good at sports should make you competitive against other women/men. (1 in 2 competitive, qualified candidates are appointed.)

The only problem I can see (and if I'm being very critical, I apologize) is that your definition of leadership is "I play a lot of sports and am tops in the school." From what I have heard, one common problem with "student leaders" is that they have no idea what leadership is. It is my opinion that the Academies would like to see a firmer grasp of leadership in their candidates. At least in my college, one of the other "student leaders" was asked, "What makes you a student leader?" The answer given was: "Because I do very well on math tests."

Instead of telling the Academies that you are a "leader" because you are "one of the best in your activities", you should seek out and show true involvements in leadership, such as leading others towards a common positive goal. Highlight whatever you have now, and add to it over the coming year.

Your qualifications are very important for the school aspect of the USNA, but for the military-managerial aspect, you need to show Officer potential by actually leading and inspiring groups and creating new and wonderful things in your community. The thing with high school is, one person can get a lot of "leadership positions" by having a good GPA and being liked by others. That does not make him or her a leader in the sense of the word that the military looks for.

If I was an Admissions Officer right now, I would try to hint that you have shown absolutely zero leadership ability, and would deduce that the reason for this is because you have zero interest in leading/managing people on a boat, and that all you will want is to fly, nothing else, thus showing little Officer ability.

Now, I have ruined the outcome by telling you how Admissions will think of you :) Hopefully, you will not use this information only to highlight leadership roles to increase your chances above other candides like you who have no idea what leadership is but who just want to fly; no, hopefully, you will actually learn to love leadership and take on leadership roles that will actually make you a true leader!

Lead some Clubs, etc. Take initiative. Find miscommunication and try to solve it. Etc. DON'T STRESS YOURSELF OR HURT YOUR GRADES. But, keep in mind what I said :) It doesn't matter if you are selected XO/CO or not, one can be a leader in any situation. Nor does being selected XO/CO make you more of a leader, if you were to be promoted because of good grades and nothing else.

You don't want to be selected XO/CO simply because you are the best candidate for the job of the group which you're in. (The hardest working, the smartest, tallest, fastest, etc.) At least I would not be. Instead, I would want to be selected XO/CO because of being recognized of being an awesome leader, interested in the well-being of my team. Therefore, the Academy will find your actions more important to your titles. To get that XO/CO and have opportunity to use leadership skills...just start using leadership skills now and you will be noticed! And figure your flying will be 2nd to being an Officer, where you will be responsible for thousands of people!

If this still sounds exciting, definitely join the Navy!

~ Helping People See Better, One Hour-Long Post at a Time. (TM)

futrMarineBlueAngel

Wow, that was deep. And no, it wasn't too critical. I understand that playing a sport or getting good grades does not make me a leader, I have learned enough from NJROTC and life to figure that out. I've been to mini boot camp and leadership academy with rotc. Neither of these qualify me as a leader, however, being chosen to attend those show that my NSI's see "leadership potential." I recieved a medal from the MOAA for "showing exemplanary military leadership". I've held offices at school, and within my unit as well as worked on community service projects. The sports and other things are just stuff that has been asked on every application I've filled out for schools and scholarships.
My grades have nothing to do with my chance at being chosen for CO/XO within my unit, at least not to my knowledge. Most people have heard my name at school, but I'm not one of those popular students who gets high positions in stuff because everyone knows me. Every position I've ever held at school is one that I've had to work for, and once I've gotten, I've worked to do the best that I could for everyone, not myself.

cdb21

integer, stop acting like moses on the mountain, you are not even at an academy but you seem to be on the admissions board by the way you talk. Chill out dude, it is okay to have a life- mabye the academy would even like it if you did.

Integer1

Banned
Okay, yeah, you definitely sound like a competitive candidate, like I said. At some point, advice becomes extraneous and what really means something is whether the letter one gets is the appointment letter or a rejection letter. So, good luck to you on seeing what happens!

And I doubt she's presuming anything... Since she is talking about the future, no measely human is capable of knowing if she is misrepresenting herself or not.

Just like I consider myself a pre-appointee. I got the idea to call myself that from Academy literature where they talk about "pre-candidates," and I am past being a pre-candidate.

cdb21

integer i think john edwards will be pissed- you have stolen the award for biggest douche in the universe. but good luck with everything, you seem to at least have the desire

usunkmybship

I wanted to be a Blue Angel since I was 15, heh. I liked them before but I never thought I would actually go for it. I'm not going to be a pilot, maybe I can be some sort of adminstrative officer someday. Well PM me if you want to talk more of planes/ BA :)

futrMarineBlueAngel

AprilFool said:
Don't be a dork . . . . futrMarineBlueAngel? A little presumptuous at 16? You bet

Not too presumptuous at 16...considering I'm only 15. Maybe next year it will be....I could dumb down and then not be worthy enough to have a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.