• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone heard about the NROTC scholarship 2009-2010?

steamdoggy72

Still Waiting and HBCU scholarship

My daughter is still waiting had all the stuff in and interview completed by second week in December. She also recieved the HBCU email.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Still no word today however, I did receive an email from a Candidate Guidance Officer(CGO) with the Selection and Placement Division of the NROTC Scholarship Program in Pensacola, Florida. His email entailed another scholarship opportunity call the HBCU (historically black college and university) scholarship. It is exactly like the 4 yr. NROTC scholarship but you have to attend one of the Historically Black Universities. Has anyone else received an email concerning this or is currently on the HBCU scholarship?

I got a phone call from one of these universities when I applied a few years back. Even though I only wanted to go to UT, I had to put down two other schools which were Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M (HSBC school). Prairie View NROTC called me one day and asked if I would be interested in applying for a HBCU scholarship. Of course I told them I didn't even apply to the university so there's no point in asking me.

However, I do think it's a good opportunity if the scholarship is available to one of your desired schools.

steamdoggy72

Heard today

Just heard.... posted about 3:30pm central time. My daughter was turned down for NROTC scholarship. The web said she will recieve information in a letter explaining other options.....any idea what those might be?

torpedo0126

I wouldn't worry about it. Do college program and you'll pick one up if your grades and pt are okay.

According to one of the LTs back at my old NROTC unit, unless your a Nurse applicant, they are scaling back the number of scholarships even more this year (I don't have the actual quota numbers, but if someone is terribly interested I could see about getting that_.

Also, your intended major has A LOT to do with it now. One of friends was stashed at NETC until just recently before classing up for API. The new "tier" system cuts a lot of people out simply by what you marked on the application (if you are unsure what I am talking about, reference the NROTC homepage).

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
According to one of the LTs back at my old NROTC unit, unless your a Nurse applicant, they are scaling back the number of scholarships even more this year (I don't have the actual quota numbers, but if someone is terribly interested I could see about getting that_.

Also, your intended major has A LOT to do with it now. One of friends was stashed at NETC until just recently before classing up for API. The new "tier" system cuts a lot of people out simply by what you marked on the application (if you are unsure what I am talking about, reference the NROTC homepage).

That really sucks to hear... Billions to bail out old farts and failure banks but let's cut the futures of those that want to serve our country. Nature of the beast FTL.

Congrats to those that did get selected. For those that didn't, try to get picked up for the college program or other options (BDCP, etc). Me and another buddy are still waiting the results of the 2yr scholarship/CP and from what I've heard it is already tough to get picked up on..so this news just kind of adds insult to injury =/ Hopefully we should hear tommorrow or Thurs on the results of ours. Will let ya know.

As I stated earlier though, keep hard on your focus if you did not get picked up. Get cracking in college and do the best you can do in your classes.. strengthen that package up and apply for the 2yr or BDCP. In fact I have already started studying for the ASTB and plan on going to take it next week in the case I do not get NROTC.

Just remember all roads lead to gold ;)

torpedo0126

I wouldn't worry about it. Do college program and you'll pick one up if your grades and pt are okay.

CWJones is "more" correct though. 2 year program should be your last option. If you get good grades, PT hard, and are viewed as a good leader, you stand a good chance of getting picked up for an OD-controlled scholarship (officer development--they control that stuff in Pensacola).

ALSO, an even better option, is that you do all of the above AND are number one in your class, the PNS (Professor of Naval Science) has a scholarship he can give to ANYONE no questions asked. Thats HUGE. You don't even have to apply for it. You go in motivated and impress, he can just give you a college education and a chance at being a Naval Officer.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
yeah totally, just didn't want to speak on something I do not know about since I was still active duty during my freshman/beginning of soph year =)

I don't know if this will be more appreciated here than it was on the site I wrote it for, but here it is. It is essentially a short breakdown of the various paths available to people in various stages of life and education.

All of the paths here point towards an unrestricted line commission (Pilot, Naval Flight Officer, Surface Warfare, Submarines, and Special Warfare). If anyone shows interest, I will post more information about getting commissions into the other officer communities.

Paths to a Navy commission:
Starting point: High School
Choices: US Naval Academy or Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps

Starting point: College Sophomore
Choices: Bachelor Degree Completion Program, two year NROTC scholarship

Starting Point: College Senior or graduate
Choices: Officer Candidate School

Starting Point: Enlisted Sailor
Choices: USNA (<23 years old), NROTC scholarship (you will be discharged from active duty to participate), Seaman to Admiral 21

USNA: A four year military academy where active duty Midshipmen earn a bachelors degree while participating in an intense regimental training program. For civilians, a nomination from a Congressman is required to apply, and entry is extremely competitive. For currently enlisted sailors, applications are solicited for nomination from the SECNAV each year. There are 100 seats reserved each year at the Naval Academy for active duty Sailors and Marines.
Upon graduation, Midshipmen are commissioned as either Ensigns in the Navy or Second Lieutenants in the USMC.

NROTC: A program by which Midshipmen are trained part time while they attend civilian colleges and universities. Each semester, Midshipmen take at least one Naval Science course, participate in a leadership lab at least once a week, and PT at least once a week. Different NROTC units have different schedules. There are several ways to participate in the NROTC, but they can be summed into two categories: Scholarship and College Program. Scholarships come in 4, 3, and 2 year versions. 4 year scholarships are awarded to high school seniors prior to beginning. 3 year scholarships can be won by college program freshmen. 2 year scholarships are rare, and are usually granted to exceptional candidates who are already in their sophomore year and have not yet started NROTC. Even if no scholarship is granted, college program midshipmen can compete for a stipend through advanced standing after their sophomore year.
Upon completion of NROTC, Midshipmen are commissioned as either Ensigns in the Navy or Second Lieutenants in the USMC.

Officer Candidate School: A 12 week intensive training program where college graduates are trained to be Naval officers. Officer Candidates are trained by USMC Drill Instructors, Navy Recruit Division Commanders, and Naval Officers. OC's are expected to learn in 12 weeks what Midshipmen learn in four years. Upon graduation, Officer Candidates are commissioned as Ensigns in the Navy.

Bachelor Degree Completion Program: A program where college students can earn pay as active duty E3's (E6 for nuclear power candidates) for up to two years while completing their bachelors degree. Upon graduation, BDCP participants go to OCS.

STA 21: Out of all of the programs listed, STA 21 is the only one that is only available to Active Duty Sailors. It is an extremely competitive program. The program allows active duty Sailors to maintain pay, allowances and benefits while attending a civilian college and participating in NROTC. In addition, a scholarship good for up to $10,000 a year (to be paid directly to the school) is given. A selection board is held annually. Many of the selected sailors are sent to BOOST (Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training) prior to NSI, where they spend either three or six months in college prep learning math, science and English. All Sailors selected for STA 21 attend the Naval Science Institute at Officer Training Command, Newport, where they are designated Officer Candidates and spend the next two months learning navigation, basic naval engineering, weapons, naval history, as well as physical training. After NSI, Officer Candidates report to their assigned NROTC unit at a civilian college where they spend up to 36 months completing a bachelors degree. Once the degree is completed, the OCs are commissioned as Ensigns in the Navy.

One thing I do not recommend is enlisting with the intention of going to STA 21 or OCS. If you are a college grad, you should certainly apply straight to OCS. If you are not a college graduate, look into all of the available commissioning programs before you decide to enlist. Enlisted program recruiters are not very interested in your goals, and going to one with the intention of becoming an officer nearly always results in an enlistment. If you want to join as an officer, you should talk to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO). OSOs are not found in storefront recruiting offices, and enlisted recruiters will rarely refer you. In the links below you can find information regarding OSOs.

Officer Career Planner
US Naval Academy
NROTC website
Officer Training Command Pensacola (Officer Candidate School)
Seaman to Admiral 21 website

Don't foreget, you can still join the NROTC program at your desired schools as long as they have an NROTC unit. You have to pay for college, but if you work hard and prove yourself you can apply for a 3 year scholarship or less. Actually, after each semester you are reviewed for a potential scholarship. Don't give up. I was denied too, but I'm taking this route. You can still reach your goals.

torpedo0126

Don't foreget, you can still join the NROTC program at your desired schools as long as they have an NROTC unit. You have to pay for college, but if you work hard and prove yourself you can apply for a 3 year scholarship or less. Actually, after each semester you are reviewed for a potential scholarship. Don't give up. I was denied too, but I'm taking this route. You can still reach your goals.

this quote also leaves out advanced standing/two year college program.

basically, you will finance your way through college but received "advanced standing" and receive a commission. You also will get the monthly stipend scholarship students enjoy.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
That really sucks to hear... Billions to bail out old farts and failure banks but let's cut the futures of those that want to serve our country. Nature of the beast FTL.

Congrats to those that did get selected. For those that didn't, try to get picked up for the college program or other options (BDCP, etc). Me and another buddy are still waiting the results of the 2yr scholarship/CP and from what I've heard it is already tough to get picked up on..so this news just kind of adds insult to injury =/ Hopefully we should hear tommorrow or Thurs on the results of ours. Will let ya know.

As I stated earlier though, keep hard on your focus if you did not get picked up. Get cracking in college and do the best you can do in your classes.. strengthen that package up and apply for the 2yr or BDCP. In fact I have already started studying for the ASTB and plan on going to take it next week in the case I do not get NROTC.

Just remember all roads lead to gold ;)

Personally, I'm very disappointed that Barack Obama is giving billions of dollars to bailout banks and automakers, but not giving a single cent to the Fleet of Midshipmen out there.

torpedo0126

Personally, I'm very disappointed that Barack Obama is giving billions of dollars to bailout banks and automakers, but not giving a single cent to the Fleet of Midshipmen out there.

I don't think a single cent is entirely accurate, the RIF was started way before the newest Commander in Chief took over.