• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone have any links to some decent Marine Helo footage?

powder

Did a search. Couldn't really find much. Thanks. Also, don't know if this has been discussed before, but a forum solely for the posting of aviation footage would be cool. Have it organized jets, helos, props, civilian, or whatever. Thanks.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I've seen that vid before. It is hysterical every time I see it. Just frigin hilarious. It is a good thing his nozzle took the damage and not his blade. Are they meant to break off in an incident like this?

i dont find it as "funny" as you do since its a serious thing but to answer the question the probe isnt designed to break off, its like any thing that if you hit hard enough will break.

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
On Big-boys.com there is the 46 crash from 1999, and a couple of Cobras, I work on and fly on 46's and that video is sad to watch, you might not want to watch it. I only watched it once and never again.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
...It is hysterical every time I see it. Just frigin hilarious.

You really need to think before you post a comment like that on this site.

I've watched my wingman's plane detonate in flight, killing both pilot and RIO and it wasn't very funny. Sadly, mishaps are part of what we do.

What you watched almost cost about 5 lives.

I would call it amazing video, but never "frigin hilarious."

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
Don't stress it. Everybody is here to learn. The titanium spars inside the blade tend to be tougher than the plain metal probe. I would imagine that aircraft likely needed a track and balance after that incident. Blades can get damaged hitting the drogue as well. The tip caps at the end of the blades are designed to separate when they hit something hard enough. I don't recommend testing the theory though.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Just tried it via your link and works for me...

That is so weird!! You are right I just tried the link and it worked for me!! I tried typing in everything before into the address bar and nothing would work!! I would not have tried that if you had not pointed that out!! That is so weird!! :eek:

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
ghost119 said:
It doesn't have any roters involved, but I saw a pic of an -14 on the deck with the refueling drogue broken off and still on the probe. How would that happen?

Fighter Fling 2004 has a clip in it where the hose snaps (9:07 on timer...i got bored)

rare21

pilot
Contributor
the refueling aircraft can break off the drogue during a breakaway i dont know if this is what happened with the 14 but its possible

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
There's nothing funny about manuevering a 50,000+lb helo just a few feet away from a KC-130.