• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

anyone have a 1.75 astigmatism and get prk?

guim13

Has anyone done it lately? My recruiter called down to NAMI and they said a preop astgmatism of higher than 1.0 can not be waived. Has anyone else heard that?

MettGT

pilot
Has anyone done it lately? My recruiter called down to NAMI and they said a preop astgmatism of higher than 1.0 can not be waived. Has anyone else heard that?

There's what the NAMI waiver guide says:

"Applicants:
1. May obtain PRK at their expense from civilian sources of care.
2. Pre-operative refractive error measured under cycloplegia must not exceed - 8.00 to + 3.00 (SE) and 3.00 diopters of cylinder.
3. Anisometropia should not exceed 3.50 diopters (using SE for each eye).
4. SNA applicants must meet refractive, cycloplegic, and vision standards postoperatively." http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Ophthalmology.pdf

From the guide, it says 3.00 cylinders in the pre-op limit, but that might have changed. It wouldn't hurt to press your OSO on the issue.

RighteousMile

Cry Freedom
astigmatism

I just talked to my eye doctor and he told me i have -2.25 astigmatism, will this still allow me to get PRK and fly in the navy?