• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone got an LOA yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
I know it's early but the Admisssions Board met for the first time on 26 August.

I haven't heard anything yet, definately hoping for one though.

flyboy85

Loa

Jonez: I am also hoping for an LOA. I wonder how many are typically sent during September and October? What are your stats? GPA, class rank, test scores, etc.?

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
flyboy85 said:
Jonez: I am also hoping for an LOA. I wonder how many are typically sent during September and October? What are your stats? GPA, class rank, test scores, etc.?

4.54/4.0 (All A's)
5/183
1400 (720V, 680M)
Varsity Football (starting TE)
NHS
Lots of community service, clubs, and other activities...

I got an invitation for the Candidate Weekend Visit sometime this October/November today. You can bet I was thinking LOA when I saw that big envelope from the Department of the Navy ;). Oh well, maybe that one will come tomorrow :).

flyboy85

I hope you get one soon Jonez. When did you have your application completed to the Academy? Unfortunately, mine wasn't completed until the 3rd week in August, soi I don't think I will get a CVW invitation on this first round. I heard they were all mailed the last week of August/ beginning of September.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
flyboy85 said:
I hope you get one soon Jonez. When did you have your application completed to the Academy? Unfortunately, mine wasn't completed until the 3rd week in August, soi I don't think I will get a CVW invitation on this first round. I heard they were all mailed the last week of August/ beginning of September.

Thanks man. I had everything in by the end of July, and did my interview the second week in August. My CVW invite is postmarked 2 September. I need to call tomorrow morning before I go to school to let them know I'll go to the last one. It's already 2200 in the east by the time I get home each day. My friend who's team capt is also going to that last one which is cool.

usnafury

Hey, Jonez, I'll be going to the last CVW as well! I had my entire app in the first week of July. Here are my stats:

White female
GPA: 4.06/4.0
SAT: 1420 (800 verbal, 620 math)

Team Captain of Soccer
4 Varsity Letters
Team Captain, Church Volleyball
President of National Honor Society
President of the Latin Club
Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society
Senior Class Officers Historian
Student Government Representative
Head Coach of 2 soccer teams
Soccer All-State Academic
Birmingham News Scholar-Athlete of the Week
Member of the Alabama Olympic Development Program for Soccer
Storm Spotter for the National Weather Service
Silver Medalist on the National Latin Exam...

The list goes on, but those are my biggest things. I went to NASS I. Jonez, did you go to NASS? I really hope I get an LOA. My app should have been seen by the first admissions board. Anyways, only a 1000 of the CVW invitations get sent out in the fall, and another 1000 in the Spring. So basically, you're looking pretty good if you have one right now. HOWEVER (there's always a "but" or "however"), I know people that went to CVW and NASS, but didn't get in. I guess it all just depends...

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
usnafury said:
Hey, Jonez, I'll be going to the last CVW as well! I had my entire app in the first week of July. Here are my stats:

White female
GPA: 4.06/4.0
SAT: 1420 (800 verbal, 620 math)

Team Captain of Soccer
4 Varsity Letters
Team Captain, Church Volleyball
President of National Honor Society
President of the Latin Club
Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society
Senior Class Officers Historian
Student Government Representative
Head Coach of 2 soccer teams
Soccer All-State Academic
Birmingham News Scholar-Athlete of the Week
Member of the Alabama Olympic Development Program for Soccer
Storm Spotter for the National Weather Service
Silver Medalist on the National Latin Exam...

The list goes on, but those are my biggest things. I went to NASS I. Jonez, did you go to NASS? I really hope I get an LOA. My app should have been seen by the first admissions board. Anyways, only a 1000 of the CVW invitations get sent out in the fall, and another 1000 in the Spring. So basically, you're looking pretty good if you have one right now. HOWEVER (there's always a "but" or "however"), I know people that went to CVW and NASS, but didn't get in. I guess it all just depends...

Wow, your record is outstanding. I definately hope you get in.

I didn't go to NASS. I wanted to but I didn't get in. I would have enjoyed the experience but really it just let me know that I had to work a lot harder if I wanted to get in. So I have been. What was weird was a week into July a Navy chief called me up saying he got my name from a list of NASS attendees and wanted me to fill out a NROTC application as well. I told him I wasn't there and I that I'm applying for Marine option NROTC and he hasn't called back since.

I did get to go see the Yard last April though. I know a CDR in the Navy (class of 84) who works at the Academy and he showed me around for a couple hours. He even brought me into the Officer's Club and the Midstore after we were done.

I'm really looking forward to going back there in November. It's also good to know that we're in the top tier so far.

BTW, my dad was talking to that CDR the other day and he said that LOAs aren't typically sent out until later in September at the earliest. And they only give out 400 of them for all 1,500 or so offers of appointment.

GrandMastaJ84

Ya, I got an invitation to CWV but didnt get in to NASS. My BGO said that only about 20% of all the appointments are LOAs. So even if you dont get an LOA, im sure with your academic and ECA record, you will get in. Hopefully I will see you there next yr. GO NAVY CLASS OF '09 :icon_wink

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
GrandMastaJ84 said:
Ya, I got an invitation to CWV but didnt get in to NASS. My BGO said that only about 20% of all the appointments are LOAs. So even if you dont get an LOA, im sure with your academic and ECA record, you will get in. Hopefully I will see you there next yr. GO NAVY CLASS OF '09 :icon_wink

Yeah they only give out 400 LOAs I think, and they offer around 1500 appointments.

See you in Nov., if you go the same weekend I do.

usnafury

One of my friends just got an LOA! I've been getting my mail six days behind her, so I'll be watching my mailbox every day the next week or so! Man, I hope I get one!

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Just a heads up, don't go in with the attitude that since you have a high GPA and all kinds of fluff on your record that your golden. Not saying any of you have this attitude, just a warning. I am a '04 grad and a prior. The most important thing to learn at the academy and to practice at the academy is taking care of your people. When you get out of the academy no one is going to really care what your ranking at the academy was. It does help you in your service selection so I am not saying to ignore your ranking. Just don't lose sight of the fact that as officers we are here to serve by taking care of our people. There are plenty of grads who are great leaders that didn't look so hot on paper as mids. If you have any questions about academy life feel free to ask. Oh yeah, and if you don't play a varsity sport when you get there look into the Rugby teams. They are a great experience for guys and gals.

Status
Not open for further replies.