• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone ever heard of a wardroom flag or a "green jacket"?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
So I got a request from our skipper to procure a wardroom flag and a green jacket. Skipper is a former P-3 NFO and I figured someone here may know about these two items. Can anyone shed some light on these traditions? Thanks!

Wardroom Flag = Drinking flag. Ours is a standard (5 feet ish?) flag size with the squadron logo on it. It gets hung up at bars or beach parties when we have Wardroom events. It's fun to steal other squadrons and usually not so fun if they steal yours.

Green Jacket = just a heinous looking sportcoat (ours is currently purple polyester, Night at the Roxbury-style ). At every AoM, people nominate the person who they think most deserves to wear it. The person with the most votes has to wear it to all AoM's and wardroom events until someone else is awarded it at an AoM. The penalty for not wearing it to an event is having to buy the wardroom a round; same penalty if someone steals it from you without you knowing. It's customary for everyone who owns it for a time to adorn the thing with some memento of the reason why they got it.

Apparently these are more P-3 centric than I originally thought.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Thanks helolumpy. About the green jacket...that's what I had thought he ment was the green nomex jacket, but he had specifically mentioned it in the context of something like a dunce cap. He said to hand it out at the next AOM to "the biggest goof-off".

We have a drinking flag that one of the more creative members of our wardroom painted up with the squadron's skull on it. We've got the MOJO patches and blue jacket that go to a JO and DH who go above and beyond the level of buffoonery one normally expects.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
In the early 90s HSL-40 had a "Velvet Elvis" picture we awarded in a similar manner as the green jacket. You were REQUIRED to hang it up or otherwise display it in your office/cubicle.

GroundPounder

YN3 Palmer USCG has access to a Green Jacket, he might be willing to help you out.

He's actually been given rides by USN and USAF, he might just owe you a favor.

9k=

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Wardroom Flag = Drinking flag. Ours is a standard (5 feet ish?) flag size with the squadron logo on it. It gets hung up at bars or beach parties when we have Wardroom events. It's fun to steal other squadrons and usually not so fun if they steal yours.

Green Jacket = just a heinous looking sportcoat (ours is currently purple polyester, Night at the Roxbury-style ). At every AoM, people nominate the person who they think most deserves to wear it. The person with the most votes has to wear it to all AoM's and wardroom events until someone else is awarded it at an AoM. The penalty for not wearing it to an event is having to buy the wardroom a round; same penalty if someone steals it from you without you knowing. It's customary for everyone who owns it for a time to adorn the thing with some memento of the reason why they got it.

Apparently these are more P-3 centric than I originally thought.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks PropAddict.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What if someone steals it, but you know they stole it?

You counterstrike and barter (ie take their flag or mascot or skipper's car).

Warning of potential for escalation: If squadron elects to counterstrike instead of bartering a keg or similar item for return of drinking flag or mascot (typical targets although see story for other "options")....The infamous Oceana battle of the squadrons began when a certain squadron followed the junior Jolly Roger ensign assigned to protect and deliver "the Bones" to next squadron party. They caught him at clinic leaving car unattended and made off with the Bones, but after car chases, other squadrons stealing giant F-14 model out of SWATSLANT Bldg and then someone liberating the entire Carrier Bar out of said Bldg and stealing Tomcat model out of another squadron's member's garage while it was being repainted; multiple squadrons were all trying to get into action and ultimately Commodore weighed in to stop the car chases and fist fights that ensued as multiple roving bands of JOs tried to either redeem their items and pride or get in on action hoping to get keg/party out of the deal. Base police were not impressed or security at SCIF Bldg that had JOs trying to abscond with items inside.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You counterstrike and barter (ie take their flag or mascot or skipper's car).

Warning of potential for escalation: If squadron elects to counterstrike instead of bartering a keg or similar item for return of drinking flag or mascot (typical targets although see story for other "options")....The infamous Oceana battle of the squadrons began when a certain squadron followed the junior Jolly Roger ensign assigned to protect and deliver "the Bones" to next squadron party. They caught him at clinic leaving car unattended and made off with the Bones, but after car chases, other squadrons stealing giant F-14 model out of SWATSLANT Bldg and then someone liberating the entire Carrier Bar out of said Bldg and stealing Tomcat model out of another squadron's member's garage while it was being repainted; multiple squadrons were all trying to get into action and ultimately Commodore weighed in to stop the car chases and fist fights that ensued as multiple roving bands of JOs tried to either redeem their items and pride or get in on action hoping to get keg/party out of the deal. Base police were not impressed or security at SCIF Bldg that had JOs trying to abscond with items inside.

Sounds like too much fun for my Navy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're a stud in the TRACOM right now, you don't really get the JOPA experience there.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
What if someone steals it, but you know they stole it?

You take it back, get into a brawl, and try to avoid getting stabbed with a knife in the process. At least, that's how it goes if the flag gets stolen out in Fallon.