• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone ever hear of there being no ground slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Hey, my OSO contacted me today, he said there are no ground slots available at this time, just ones for aviation (pilot and navigator). That just sounds so strange to me, anyone else have similar news?

KBayDog

I was MECEP, so I had no OSO dealings, but I don't think it is that uncommon - I have known several PLC/OCC-types that waited many months for ground slots.

Broadsword2004

Hmmm.......why are there more pilot/naviator slots than ground slots most of the time? Isn't the ground portion of the Marine Corps the larger force? Also, aviators have 6-8 year contracts, so wouldn't they have to stay in longer as well, thus resulting in fewer air slots?

chuck82

ground vs. air officers

Broadsword,
My OSO sent me a powerpoint presentation about aviation side of the Marine Corps, and it said that there are 2.5 air officers (NA's or NFO's) for every ground officer in the Corps. That may be why there seems to be more air slots.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
chuck82 said:
Broadsword,
My OSO sent me a powerpoint presentation about aviation side of the Marine Corps, and it said that there are 2.5 air officers (NA's or NFO's) for every ground officer in the Corps. That may be why there seems to be more air slots.

Really?! I was told the ratio was about 1/3 of the Corps was aviators. My original OSA back in 03 told me the reason they were looking for so many air is because all the ground officers were staying on because the war reminded them why they joined in the first place. Who knows though, that was the word of one GySGT.

Broadsword2004

So you mean amongst the officers there tend to be more aviators, but overall, troop-wise, there are more ground people (counting both enlisted and ground officers)?

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Broadsword,
I don't get off on busting new guys or anything, but you've got over 100 posts in about 2 weeks including some fairly asinine questions. I appreciate your enthusiasm but READ MORE, POST LESS. Either you're in 5th grade, or you're an IP sent by the devil to screw with us.

For example:
I also ask this because a lot of people say, "If I don't become a pilot, I will go for SEAL."
the engines on the F-14 Tomcat were placed far apart from each other so that if one got blown to smitherines somehow, the other engine would most likely remain undamaged.
I mean, say, during the times of when "all is well" (as in no major conflicts, etc...) and pilots more fly for pure practice and such, on average, how much time in the air would a fighter pilot or attack helicopter pilot (as I assume a cargo helicopter pilot or cargo plane would get more flight time since they are always needed regardless) get in the air per month?
I don't really even know right now what yaw is lol.
And my personal favorite about a scene from "Behind Enemy Lines":
My question is, why wouldn't the plane turn if only a small part of the back of the plane that controls the up and down motion was missing partially, while the rudders were still fully intact?? Did the electronics controlling the flaps get messed up from that or something (since the F-18's controls aren't mechanically connected to the parts of the plane) or was that just Hollywood stuff; or did that small part getting knocked off still dramatically affect turning ability?

Also, I'm pretty sure "marine" (in your tagline) is usually capitalized "Marine". Might wanna check that with a Gunny...
"Once, while casually discussing military history, one marine said to another marine, 'What is the favorite quote of the French military?' The other marine thought for a second, shrugged his shoulders, then said, 'I give up!' "

I'll be totally honest because I think it will help you in the future. If you showed up at a training squadron (or an OCS class), I think most people would agree that you're the one with a big "ATTRITE" stamp on your forehead. Reminds me of an old saying:
"Keep you're mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, rather than opening it and proving them right."

And since I just opened my trap, I'll shut it now.

Edited to add my new favorite Broadsword quote:
If there ever was such an intense dogfight and I was in Iceman's position, the only thing that would have kept me from clocking Maverick across the face was, well, the consequences for such actions.

chuck82

correction on the stats

Av8r and Mako,
Sorry for the confusion, total screw up on my post. You guys are absolutely right. The presentation said that there are 2.5 air officers for every infantry officer, not ground. My bad guys. Thanks for the correction.

Broadsword2004

airgreg said:
Broadsword,
I don't get off on busting new guys or anything, but you've got over 100 posts in about 2 weeks including some fairly asinine questions. I appreciate your enthusiasm but READ MORE, POST LESS. Either you're in 5th grade, or you're an IP sent by the devil to screw with us.

For example:

And my personal favorite about a scene from "Behind Enemy Lines":

Also, I'm pretty sure "marine" (in your tagline) is usually capitalized "Marine". Might wanna check that with a Gunny...

I'll be totally honest because I think it will help you in the future. If you showed up at a training squadron (or an OCS class), I think most people would agree that you're the one with a big "ATTRITE" stamp on your forehead. Reminds me of an old saying:
"Keep you're mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, rather than opening it and proving them right."

And since I just opened my trap, I'll shut it now.

Edited to add my new favorite Broadsword quote:

Well man, I was kind of just joking with the Top Gun quote (i.e. clocking Maverick), as for the other stuff, I don't get your point of view. And believe me, I DO do a lot of reading up on my various questions. I just have a lot of questions is all.

Also, I don't see your gripe with the "Behind Enemy Lines" quote. By that I just meant I do not know much about aeronautics. I read in an article recently about a guy in the Air Force who won a bet for a ride in an F-16 (he wasn't a pilot, just an enlisted guy in the Air Force). Anyhow, the pilot was showing him the air brakes. He mentioned he was shocked at how such a small movement of those flaps could so dramatically decrease the plane's airspeed. So when I asked about the F-18 in the movie, I wasn't sure if a small portion of the rear being knocked off (as in the movie) could dramatically decrease the turning ability.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
this should be fun to watch
popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.