• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone At Moody Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
This question is for anyone who is currently at Moody AFB. First of all, is it true that it's closing down soon for the navy guys atleast? Also, is there any truth to the Air Force training being harder then the Navy's?
I am just starting API and mostly likely I'm going to end up at Moody. Just trying to get different opinions.

Thanks for the help.

Yessir

Hooker
pilot
Yeah dude im at moody now and word is the last navy guys are coming here in september. Since i havent done navy primary i cant say if primary is harder here, but AF training is definitely different than corpus or milton. Here you have 12 hour work days whether you fly or not, everything here is spoon fed to you. You cant sim on your own because they dont want you to get ahead of your classmates. Everything here is done as a class, which is kind of nice. If you have a problem with making yourself study this place is probably good for you since they force you to learn the material. The T6 is awesome, dont necessarily know if its worth coming here though. So i guess to answer your question, yes and no its harder than Navy primary. They are always on your case but they make sure you learn how to fly the jet. Take that for what its worth. If you have any more questions let me know

petescheu

You also get more hours going to Moody... I compared my logbook with a friend on mine's who went to Corpus, I had lots more hours in Form and Instruments. Not that it's a huge deal, but the more the better for the most part.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
Thanks both of you for the reply and help. Biggest thing I'm worried out is just starting off behind the curve. I've heard that all of the AF guys have atleast 50 hours through IFT and have PPL. I, on the other hand, just have 24 IFS hours.

Yessir, good luck with your training. Hope I see you getting your first pick at track select.
Shoo, how is life as a Hornet Driver?

petescheu

Oh dude don't worry about the A/F PPL thing. IFS is more than enough. You'll all be on an even playing ground fast enough... believe me.
BTW, the T-6 is awesome, if you do go, you'll love flying it. A/F is def a different (and pretty intense) way of training. All depends on what you want out of Primary.
Hornet is sweet, although I suppose that's to be expected. Lots of neat gadgets to play with now, like radar and such. Gotta love it...

petescheu

Yeah how's that whole "let's get rid of the excess right for the get-go" going anyways; that new required NSS getting a lotta people?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
A lot of good people might be going home because of it. I don't think its getting as many people as they want though (DORs were outnumbering attrites by a lot until word about going to afghanistan got out- Word is that they filled those billets quick, and i know at least one recent DOR who got their orders to leave the navy so hopefully people who don't want to be here will start leaving again and make room for those who do). Supposedly the last of the FY04 grads start academics on Monday so there is about another 5 weeks worth of cutting to try to reach that 80. A good amount of the people cut are going to be competing for a limited number of NFO spots- other then that, its been said that the only communities open for redesignation are Supply and Oceanography.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
We were told that they have about 67 out of the 80 they need. My class is the last of FY04 guys but there are 4 classes ahead of us still in academics and we are hoping that they will be able to hit the 80 with those classes before they get to us. Anyway, there are just a few more 04 pilots left in A-pool. I would hope that the same standards will be applied to them as they did to us even though some of those will not class up until August. I guess Moody shouldn't be too bad. Better then going to TRW 6.

petescheu

Venom-
Lots of past posts about A/F training, before you make you final decision. Do a search for "Anyone Been To Vance or Moody." There was a lot discussed on that thread. A/F is def good training, although I know that some people hated it. Like I said before, all what your preference is.

Irrumpo

I fought the law and the law won
Just don't do it by choice. I was there and trust me, don't choose to do it. The T-6 is fun, but keep in mind Moody is not a joint command like Vance. The studying is going to be anywhere, but at Moody it’s the other variables that are really going to make your time there suck. UPT is kind of like a pledge process for the Air Force, with O-2’s pretty much running the show. That might suck at other places too, but unlike Vance, Moody has no defined Navy chain of command to work with. For me it was a big deal, and was for everyone I knew while I was there. And the mandatory studying argument is a load of crap. Can you study for 12 hours while sitting in a room with instructors constantly giving you busy work to do? Not me. I could do better at my house or on the beach somewhere. If you got to go, suck it up and enjoy the T-6. If you choose to go, I'd call you stupid. I'm just trying to give the truth like I wish others would have done for me. Good luck.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
Irrumpo;
I have just heard so much different gouge about Moody and don't know what to believe. Thanks for the help though and I hope for the best. The reason I wanted to go there was because I'm one of those guys who will not do stuff on his own. I don't think I can sit on my own and study...now if someone makes me do it, that's a different story. Besides, the T-6 seems like an awesome aircraft and Valdosta is my hometown afterall so it all sounded good.
Right now, I'm just in Week 1 of API and hope I can maintain that NSS to stay pilot. Alot of my friends were forced to go NFO, some DOR'd because of that. I guess I should put it all off until I'm done with the 4th week atleast.

Thanks for the help.

petescheu

I disagree with the no chain-of-command comment and the run by 1st LTs comment. I saw neither of this when I was there, although it has been some time. Even with three FAIPs in my flight, it was still plenty run by O-3s, O-4s. I believe a lot of it depends on what flight you get into, as each flight has its own personality. And that personality changes over time as instructors & flight commanders are cycled in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.