• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anybody else want to be a SWO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goliath112

Does anybody else want to be a SWO? I know they have stand watch all the time, but I really want to drive a ship and be a Naval Surface Warfare Officer. It sucks that it is a tight to closed field.

I find your lack of faith.....disturbing haaaaath haaaath

Lord Vader

AG7412

I also find it disturbing the fact that only Academy Grads and NROTC have a shoot at it...

unfUSN

Originally posted by AG7412
I also find it disturbing the fact that only Academy Grads and NROTC have a shoot at it...

You guys are nutz! Most SWO's on my boat don't want to be SWO's. They are all getting out or redesignating!

ENS Payne

One cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war
- Albert Einstein

solenita72

SWO Wife
My hubby is a SWO, but he wanted to go Crypto or Intel, just what he got first....the recruiter told him to accept that and that he could change designators....well, I think they pulled a good one on him!

kabttu

my first choice is crypto, but i could live with sub or swo. just looking for more information. if your husband could provide any info, that would be great! thanks!

kevin

solenita72

SWO Wife
Right now, the whole program is different. They use to go to SWOS (school) in Rhode Island after OCS and before reporting to a ship. They have recently changed the program, so now, my husband finished OCS and reported directly to a ship. Later he will go to SWOS for a three week school instead of the origional 6 to 9 months. So, you are thrown right into the fleet. There was another guy that went to a boat in the middle of a deployment. I would just advise you to think hard of what you want to do in the navy!

Goliath112

Originally posted by unfUSN
Originally posted by AG7412

You guys are nutz! Most SWO's on my boat don't want to be SWO's. They are all getting out or redesignating!

ENS Payne

One cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war
- Albert Einstein

Everybody tells me that i'm crazy and stuff. I was in the Navy and saw these guys (SWo's) and I really liked the job. I know they "eat their young" and stand watch all day, but I really want to be a ship driver. anyhow I would venture to say that many, while certainly not all SWO's who hate their job didn't want SWO in the first place. But, really this talk is all smoke because its not likely I will get a chance at going SWO anyway..
cry_125.gif
which sucks....

I find your lack of faith.....disturbing haaaaath haaaath

Lord Vader

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Hey you are not alone, I also want to become an SWO but alas that is not to be so I am will be enlisting in the reserves and trying to get the Enlisted Surface Warfare pin hopefully that will help in getting in and later on doing a lateral transfer. If everyone is leaving like I just read on here then hopefully there will be a slot. Keep the dream alive!!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goliath,
If you are prior enlisted and know what you are getting into then go for it. Lots of smack talk between aviators and SWOs, that is ok. Flight school might wash out alot more guys than SWOS making the brown shoes feel pretty special, but SWOs work their tails off and do eat their young. The real test for SWOs isn't in school like for aviators, but in the fleet. Generally SWOs get far more responsiblity in their early careers than aviators. We need guys that can hack it on the bridge and in the cockpit. It isn't for me but I'm not about to tell you not to go for it. For those of you that may have gone SWO as a second choice and told you can redesignate didn't necessarily get a raw deal. Bust your butt, get your pin and then go Restricted Line; Intel, Crypto, whatever. A qualified SWO that is an Intel Off., PAO or other Restricted LIne Officer will be in a VERY competitive position versus their RL peers. You will stand out!

Status
Not open for further replies.