• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anybody do Funeral Honors?

I signed up/trained for Funeral Honors Duty (FHD) this August. I've done one funeral since then, mostly as an observer (there were three of us, so I didn't have to fold the flag).

-I still haven't seen credit or pay for the training or the funeral. Does anybody know how long it usually takes? I'm in the IRR, and the FHD coordinator just tells me, "I turned in the paperwork sirrrrrrr...."
-What is the pay for the FHD? I've heard $50, and I've heard one drill period--that's a pretty big difference!
-Does anybody know if I can get a practice flag from either the NOSC or the Post Office? I went to Post Office and they looked at me like I was from Mars, but maybe it was just that office. I really think it's a great service, and I don't want to flub in front of the loved ones family.

Thanks in advance!

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
I do them from time to time at MATSG 21. I don't know anything about the pay/IRR admin side of it, but if you want to know about the ceremony I can write out some step by step gouge if you're interested.

You can probably sign out a flag from your reserve unit. That's what I did while on TAD and it was no problem.

Thanks Deror. Do you happen to know if IRR Marines are able to do funeral honors? My brother got out years ago, and is looking for an excuse to put the uniform back on, but I don't think he wants to start drilling.

Just in case anybody reads this... regarding practice flags: NO. So, what I did is when I got a funeral sheet, it was marked "will funeral home provide flag: NO", and I went to the Post Office. After waiting in "line" (gaggle) for 45 minutes, I showed them my sheet and said I needed a flag for a funeral the next day. I got the Office Space "yeah, umm...I'm gonna need you to fill out a form, but (he did look) I don't have it, so...." I reply that the funeral is tomorrow, so can't we do *something*? "Yeah, see, we really need that form..."

Anyway, it turns out it's formhttp://www.uscg.mil/hswlBoston/docs/flag request.pdf

For the next one, I filled it out and ended up getting a practice flag that way. It helps, because the other day, the guy folding the flag with me folded it wrong! I tried to do the tug, stare, tug again method of communication, but he had a brain fart and we presented a wrongly folded flag. After the services, we grabbed it back and folded it the right way, but it was very, VERY embarrassing and not something I ever want to happen again.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just in case anybody reads this... regarding practice flags: NO. So, what I did is when I got a funeral sheet, it was marked "will funeral home provide flag: NO", and I went to the Post Office. After waiting in "line" (gaggle) for 45 minutes, I showed them my sheet and said I needed a flag for a funeral the next day. I got the Office Space "yeah, umm...I'm gonna need you to fill out a form, but (he did look) I don't have it, so...." I reply that the funeral is tomorrow, so can't we do *something*? "Yeah, see, we really need that form..."

Anyway, it turns out it's formhttp://www.uscg.mil/hswlBoston/docs/flag request.pdf

For the next one, I filled it out and ended up getting a practice flag that way. It helps, because the other day, the guy folding the flag with me folded it wrong! I tried to do the tug, stare, tug again method of communication, but he had a brain fart and we presented a wrongly folded flag. After the services, we grabbed it back and folded it the right way, but it was very, VERY embarrassing and not something I ever want to happen again.

At MATSG-21 we had more than one type of practice flag. We would practice folding each one a couple of times before the the funeral. Also- I have been a pallbearer at more than 30 funerals and we never had an issue where a flag wasn't provided. Though it should be noted that we only did MArine funerals in the Pcola and surrounding area (withing about a 1.5 hour radius).

I haven't done a million of these, but there's always been a flag provided, even when the sheet says they won't provide one. What has happened is that it's been 10 minutes before the services start and we're told "Aunt Gertrude should be here with the flag in any minute..." Carrying a flag in my go bag just makes me feel better, and I was surprised that it took a little more than showing up in uniform and a scheduled funeral to get one!

I don't want to start an inter-service flame war, but I suspect Marines take the funerals more seriously. Now, everybody I've worked with on the Navy side is interested in making sure it's a dignified experience, but I actually read the Marine instruction, which had a 24-hour checklist of things to do to prepare, which included contacting the recipient and the other members of the detail. I wish we did that. Oh, you guys can probably march too, huh?

Renegade One

None
Always best to do "Funeral Honors" at least twice...someday it's going to be on the one day folks know you won't be expected to say anything...or have a drink.

Seriously...this effort some of you are going to in order to "do right" by a fallen shipmate is nothing short of awesome. I salute you for this very important effort on behalf of all who have gone before. It means more to the families than they will ever be able to express to you.

Practice flags? What's wrong with a large "practice bath towel" or whatever else replicates the size? Don't over-think some of it...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Practice flags? What's wrong with a large "practice bath towel" or whatever else replicates the size? Don't over-think some of it...

Because you quickly go from a professional to a fucking-clown-shoes operation in 1.1 seconds flat when you have to break the cadence and continually refold the flag because some of the stripes are visible, or because you don't have enough excess to tuck, or too much excess to tuck or the seams are not as straight as you would like them to be. It's pretty damn embarrassing for all parties involved. But maybe that's just the Marine in me.

Thanks for the tip, but I think you're under thinking it. You really, REALLY have to nail it the first time. I bought a flag from target, but it's cheaper and only marginally better than nothing. You really need a "eal", VA cotton flag.

Swanee, you are 100% right about that 1.1 seconds!

Renegade One

None
Thanks for the tip, but I think you're under thinking it. You really, REALLY have to nail it the first time. I bought a flag from target, but it's cheaper and only marginally better than nothing. You really need a "eal", VA cotton flag.
Yeah, I know you're right...thickness, actual size, canvas edge (probably with grommets?)...all impact on doing it right. "Assuming" all flags used for funeral honors are nearly identical, seems the first thing to figure out is
how big to make the first "straight fold" from the fly-end (always looks like about 5-6 inches when I observe...) before you begin the tri-fold routine. Practice would make perfect...which was your point to begin with.
Thanks for taking a personal interest in "doing it right".

OHNavy

Truckin'
Try another US Post Office branch for an actual burial flag to practice with. I suggest you call in advance to ensure they have one in stock.

I showed up in uniform after a funeral and filled out a form indicating it was going to be used for training purposes. They were very helpful.

(yes, my post includes the phrases “US Post Office” and “helpful”) ;)

BTW, I just learned that with funeral duty, you can go above the 130pts per yer. So, this year I started getting points for Blue & Gold Officer (BGO) duties, did a JPME course (for 48pts!), and had about 20 funerals, so I punched in at like 150 points this year.

For anybody who's thinking about leaving the reserves because of the BS (I did), I think each of these are great options. I get the most out of the funerals. They really, really mean a lot to the widows, and it's nice putting on the uniform (and getting paid!). It's sort of feast or famine though, so you might not get your 35 points (I'm a 50-pt a year guy for the last 3 years...trying to impress the CDR board with how efficient I am).

atmahan

... facility for offence.
vxc961 wrote:

" (I'm a 50-pt a year guy for the last 3 years...trying to impress the CDR board with how efficient I am)."

HA!

Here was my thought process in maxing out Inactive Points (130) per Anniversary Year (including getting the JPME diploma) for the last few years:

"It will impress the CDR board that I took that I am maximizing my resources while in the IRR and at a bargain for the Navy."

Based on the results of the FY13 Reserve O-5 Line Selection Board, apparently they didn't see it that way. : (

Yeah, if you're IRR, they'll move right past your record. I feel like with funerals, Blue & Gold, and JPME I'm contributing and learning more than I ever did as a drilling reservist, but I've accepted my fate.

For anybody out there in the IRR who might have a chance at O-5, you should think about going VTU, even if it's just for a few months before and after the board.