• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any naval flight surgeons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
I used to be a FS when on AD. I can try to answer general questions, but waiver specifics are out of my purview.
V/R

I used to be a FS when on AD. I can try to answer general questions, but waiver specifics are out of my purview.
V/R
I got 70 arc seconds but I need 40 arc seconds on the depth perception test. I didn’t wear prescription glssses as I have a slight astigmatism of .50. I will be wearing glasses when I take the test again and if doc thinks it’ll help I’ll get LASIK but if I don’t get my depth perception down am I gonna be NAMI Whammies.

I planned on doing USMC Plc-air and was hopeful after joining reserves I was gonna get a Freshman contract but it’s not looking that way right now. Is my chances of flying 0%?

TimeBomb

As mentioned, specific waiver questions are out of my purview. If the standards say you need 40 arc-seconds for SNA, then you need to get to that point. If you get there with corrective lenses and you meet the other refractive standards, you should be good. However, you may have amblyopia, which is not correctable with refraction or surgery as it is a CNS visual processing problem. Make sure you can get to the requirements with lenses before try to get surgery. Surgery or corrective lenses generally don't fix amblyopia. You might be hard pressed to find someone willing to do LASIK for 0.5 diopter of astigmatism, especially if you have amblyopia.

What possessed you to come up with that user name? Out of the million or so words in the English language, you couldn't come up with something less cringe-worthy?

V/R

As mentioned, specific waiver questions are out of my purview. If the standards say you need 40 arc-seconds for SNA, then you need to get to that point. If you get there with corrective lenses and you meet the other refractive standards, you should be good. However, you may have amblyopia, which is not correctable with refraction or surgery as it is a CNS visual processing problem. Make sure you can get to the requirements with lenses before try to get surgery. Surgery or corrective lenses generally don't fix amblyopia. You might be hard pressed to find someone willing to do LASIK for 0.5 diopter of astigmatism, especially if you have amblyopia.

What possessed you to come up with that user name? Out of the million or so words in the English language, you couldn't come up with something less cringe-worthy?

V/R
How would I know if I had amblyopia, feel like that’s something I would be able to see in the mirror. Do you think 30 arc seconds is fixable through glasses? Also the name is just what a few of my usernames have been, lol.

TimeBomb

I'll play a little longer. Whether you can get to where you need to be depends on the cause.

Amblyopia is the brain's inability to process visual signals from the eye. It can have several causes, one of which is refractive. If you have different degrees of refractive error between your eyes, the brain doesn't develop the ability to fully attain stereoscopic vision. There is a relatively brief window in brain development where this ability gets hard-wired in. Once that time has passed, restoration of normal stereoscopic vision isn't likely, even if the refractive error is corrected. You may have had a small degree of refractive imbalance your whole life, which was not enough to impair your daily functioning, but did result in an inability to develop full stereoscopic vision, which you now exhibit on detailed testing.

Alternatively, you may not have amblyopia, and simply don't have the uncorrected visual acuity to meet standards. If you make the grade with your lenses, happy day. If you can't get to the required level with corrective lenses, the problem is likely downstream from your eye, and not easily remedied, if at all.

TimeBomb

The effects of impaired visual acuity on stereoscopic vision can be seen in early childhood if they are specifically tested. That's why testing for refractive error in young children is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.