• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any atheists on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdnew

Hey some of the christians out there need to take it easy on the people that don't believe the same way you do. Don't try to argue or make someone else believe what you believe. I myself am a EXTREMELY devout christian and what gets on my nerves the most is when people try to force feed christianity on others. From my experiance this is the NUMBER ONE thing that drives people away from our religon. There is a fine line between witnessing and pushing people farther and farther away. When I was attending a large mostly liberal university a lot of the the people I knew were agnostic. Most of them hated anything to do with christianity. When I first started there I couldn't understand why. Then after I few months I saw why. "Christians" were standing out on the corners of streets on party nights with signs that said "The party ends in hell." Later that same semester so called "evangelists" were standing around campus yelling at random peope and ranting how the entire university was evil. This is not what MY religon is about! "He sent not His Son into the world to condem the world but the world through him might be saved." I'm basicly trying to say that sometimes we should back off. Like in this topic. I'm sure it was not started so that we could have a debate on religon. The guy/girl was trying to talk to people that had the same beliefs he did. When we cloud his topic with all our argumentitive posts what kind of message do you think that sends to him? He/she didn't hyjack any of our threads.

Jester

pilot
Well I'm agnostic. I was a philosophy major in college and wrote several papers on the existence of a god. In order to preserve a logical and civil debate I have included a paper I wrote that refuted our ability to concieve of a god. It is rather long for this post but if your interested here it is.

Semper,
Jester

God: Is He Really in the Understanding?

For centuries there have been philosophers and theologians attempting to prove the existence of a God. Some of their arguments have been based a posteriori on the presupposition that there is a reason or cause for the universe we live in. Consequently these arguments have been termed teleological and cosmological arguments for the existence of God. However, the other argument for god’s existence that has been around for nearly nine hundred years relies totally a priori on the conception of God to prove Its existence. This argument has been the center of inquiry and criticism by many philosophers since it was first put forth by St. Anselm during the eleventh century AD. There have been many philosophers, such as Descartes, that have agreed with the premises of the argument but refuted its logic and in turn revised it in an attempt to provide a sound version of the argument. At the same time there are many other philosophers that refute the logical validity and the premises of Anselm’s argument along with Descartes revised version of it. I suggest that it is impossible to attain a clear and universal idea or conception of a being than which no greater can be conceived. However, I cannot get into the criticisms of the argument until I first explain it as it was put forth originally by St. Anselm, and latter by Descartes revision of it.
In the Proslogium, St. Anselm is on a quest to attain a better understanding of God as well as provide a logical argument for Its existence. It is the later that he attempts do first, doing so completely a priori, by means of a proof by contradiction. First, in chapter two, Anselm defines god as “a being than which nothing greater can be conceived.” Then he goes on to say that by this definition it is absurd to deny god’s existence. He states, “…this very fool, when he hears of this being of which I speak-a being than which nothing greater can be conceived-understands what he hears, and what he understands is in his understanding; although he does not understand it to exist.” Anselm argues, God, being that which nothing greater can be conceived, is in the understanding, but it can also be understood to exist in reality. But to have god-a being in which a greater is inconceivable-exist in the understanding alone and at the same time understand this same god to exist in reality, argues Anselm, is to understand a being that is greater than the being than which no greater can be conceived. According to Anselm this absurd, for a being in which no greater can be conceived could only be the greatest of all beings if it existed. So, for god to exist in the understanding alone would make it inferior to a greater being, a being that exists. Therefore, god exists both in the understanding and in reality.
The first criticism of this argument to surface was based on the claim that Anselm’s argument could be applied to any object, in which no greater could be conceived. It was included in Anselm’s Proslogium in which Anselm gave a rebuttal to the criticism. The criticism written by Gaunilo, a monk of Marmoutier, was entitled On Behalf of the Fool. In it Gaunilo argued against the logic of Anselm - that real existence could be shown merely by the understanding of the being than which no greater can be conceived. Gaunilo wanted to suggest that such a being should first be proved to exist and then, from the fact that no greater can be conceived, that it exists necessarily. He says “For it should be proved first that this being itself really exists somewhere; and then, from the fact that it is greater than all, we shall not hesitate to infer that it also subsists in itself.” With this he gives an example of a lost island that is greater than all lands. In other words it is an island in which no greater can be conceived but cannot be found. Now he argues that if someone were to tell him of such a place he would have no trouble understanding what is meant of such an island. But by the logic of Anselm this island would have to exist in reality because to exist in reality is better than just existing in the understanding alone. Well, Gaunilo says that he would be the greater fool to believe that such was true, for first he would need it to be proved that the “hypothetical excellence” of such an island actually existed. Basically Gaunilo argues that he is capable of having conceptions in his understanding that do not posit their existence.
In response to Gaunilo’s criticism Anselm argues that his argument only applies to the one being in which no greater can be conceived. It only works for such a being because to deny that a being in which no greater can be conceived exists in reality would require that it does not exist in the understanding as well. But Anselm argues that a being in which no greater can be conceived does exist in the understanding, for one understands what is meant by such a being. And to understand such a being means that one understands such a being to exist. Thus, a being that exists necessarily cannot be conceived not to exist, to do so would result in a contradiction. In general there can only be one being than which no greater can be conceived, so the argument only works for this one being.
On behalf of Anselm I think the argument is valid in that the subject of the argument, that is, a being than which no greater can be conceived, only applies to that particular being. For such a being to be understood it has to be such that it can’t compare to anything else. I think the idea Anselm has of god is such that its greatness is infinite. The concept of such a being would have to include existence on the basis that existence of a being is greater than its nonexistence. This of course depends on the object, for it could be argued that some things are better not to exist, such as nuclear weapons for example. But when one is talking of a being in which no greater can be conceived this being must include all the goodness required of such a being. For a morally right being is greater than a morally wrong being. In such a case it would be better for a morally right being to exist than not exist. But one must be careful to attribute such qualities and suppositions to such a being from the definition that Anselm has provided. By his definition his intentions were not to have the concept of god rely on only what we can conceive. Rather his definition of god is meant to keep god incomprehensible. But nonetheless, according to Anselm the concept of god is meant to be easily found in the understanding.
A latter objection to the argument is based on the rationale that the concept of god together with the thought of it existing does not posit its existence. This observation was put forth by Descartes in the “Fifth Meditation” of his Meditations on First Philosophy. To explicate this further, Descartes’ objection to the argument is that the existence of god does not rest on the premise: god cannot be conceived to exist in the understanding without it also existing in reality. Rather the necessity of god’s existence lies within itself. In other words the fact that one cannot think of god without thinking of god existing does not necessitate its existence. God’s existence necessarily follows from the essence of god. In Meditation V Descartes writes, “…I cannot conceive God without existence, it follows that He really exists; not that my thought can bring this to pass, or impose any necessity on things, but, on the contrary, because the necessity which lies in the thing itself.” Descartes gives an example using the concept of a mountain and valley. He says that he cannot conceive of a mountain without thinking of a valley, but just because this is so does not mean that a mountain and valley actually exist.
From this objection of Anselm’s argument Descartes puts forth a revised version of the argument that relies completely on the concept or essence of God. His argument is as follows:
1.) I have in my mind the idea of God-an infinitely all perfect being.
2.) Existence is a perfection.
3.) Therefore, God exists.
By no means did Descartes’ revision rid of any problems or criticisms of the argument. Some have argued that the definition or concept of God must be shown to be a true definition before God’s existence can be proved. Others have argued that existence is not a predicate for any definition of a subject. It was Leibniz that argued the former and Kant the later.
In his essay entitled Meditations on Knowledge, Truth, and Ideas Leibniz agrees that existence can be predicated from the concept of an infinitely all-perfect being. But he goes on to say that only if God is possible can it be shown that he exists. He writes, “Therefore existence can be predicated of God. But one must realize that from this argument we can conclude only that, if God is possible, then it follows that he exists.” Leibniz argues that it must first be shown that the definition given of God is a “real definition”. Furthermore, Leibniz says, “And so, in the same way, the fact that we think about a most perfect being is not sufficient for us to assert that we have an idea of it.” To me it seems that Leibniz is denying that we can have an idea of God. For the ontological argument rests on the supposition that we can have an idea of God, to deny that we have an idea of God would refute the conclusion of the argument. But he goes on to define a true idea or real definition as a thing which is possible, not to include a contradiction. With that he says that God-a most perfect being-is possible, so God exists necessarily.
In Critique of Pure Reason Kant argues, what I think are, his two main objections against the ontological argument. First, that it is not a contradiction to deny the existence of God. Second, that existence is not a predicate of any definition or concept of a thing. The first objection Kant raises argues that to deny Gods existence is the same as denying the concept of God. Kant writes, “Annihilate its existence in thought, and you annihilate the thing itself with all its predicates.” To deny the existence of God does not affirm its attributes, rather it denies them.
Kant continues by arguing that the predicate of existence adds nothing to the concept of God, rather it just affirms the possibility of the concept, God, existing with all of its predicates. This makes up his second objection to the ontological argument; that existence is not a predicate of the concept of God. For Kant the concept of a particular thing existing is not contained within the concept of the thing itself. The existence of a particular thing adds no more to the concept of a thing than does its nonexistence. Kant writes, “Thus the real contains no more than the possible.” So, the existence of God does not in any way increase the perfection of God, it only posits Gods existence with all of its predicates.
All of the criticisms so far explained have either attacked the predicts within the concept of God or the logic leading from the concept of God to the conclusion that God exists. However, is the argument valid, and furthermore is it sound? I find that both Anselm’s argument and Descartes version of the argument are valid. If all the premises taken together were to be true then the conclusion would have to be true. The problem with the argument that makes it unsound however, is the presupposition that one can have an idea of a perfect being. The entire argument, both versions, in order to make it a true proof for God’s existence, requires that the idea of a perfect being be in the understanding. But how can anyone have in their understanding an idea of God. If God is defined as a perfect being or a being than which no greater can be conceived, one must have a true idea of perfection regardless of which definition is used. But perfection in itself is often found to be subjective. What one individual finds to be a better, or greater, attribute another individual finds to be negative attribute. For such a concept of God to hold, perfection would have to be something all in its own separate from everything else. But I think that perfection is sometimes dependent upon the observer. Of course one could argue that some things can be conceived to be perfect due to the concept or definition of the thing. For example, one can conceive of a perfect circle by understanding that of all of its radii must be equidistant from its center. However, no one could ever recognize a perfect circle because one would have to measure all of its radii, in which there are an infinite number. When one speaks of God-an all perfect being-they attribute all possible perfection’s to It. Now some perfections are subjective, as I stated previously. So which perfection is more perfect? Now this is an absurd question, because something cannot be more prefect than perfect. To be perfect is to be perfect. But if one has in their understanding an idea of God they assign all possible perfection’ to it. So one individual’s understanding of God is different from another individual’s understanding of God. So who has the correct understanding of God? Well, to use Anselm’s definition of God-a being than which no greater can be conceived-the concept of God does not depend on what an individual can conceive. But Anselm still affirms that this concept of God is in the understanding. But as I have already argued this isn’t possible because there are so many different understandings of the same concept. Whereas the concept of a perfect circle is understood only by the mathematical axioms that determine it to be a perfect circle. Therefore, since the idea of God cannot be in the understanding it is not a contradiction to deny that God exists.
There are many critics of the ontological argument as well as many in favor of the argument. It has been the subject of criticism and revision for nearly nine hundred years. Yet, it has never had the persuasive power to make a nonbeliever a believer and vice versa. Nonetheless, the argument is very intriguing in that it attempts to prove its conclusion completely a priori from the mere concept of the object of the conclusion. However, I don’t think that just concepts alone, of such a being, could ever completely convince one that it actually existed, in the same way that the concept alone of any thing else, actually existing, could convince one that it did in fact exist. It’s a nice effort though.

grouch

Originally posted by andrew@itmpl.com.au
As an athiest I believe that there is no god and science is the cause of everything that happens.

Quite simply I feel that if you cannot see it, it is not there. (Don't say what I think you will)

Oh man....where do I start? Science is not the cause of everything, it is the attempt to explain. I love it when science proves itself wrong and all the little guys in white lab coats rush to figure out why. The big bang comes to mind. Five years ago scientist would have you believe the big bang was a cyclical occurance. The mass of the universe would pull on itself until it would collide then "bang" it would explode and rush apart from itself only to have gravity pull it all back together for another big bang. Now scientist know that the universe it accelerating faster the father it travels away from said explosion. This is completely contrary to everything know to man. So now we wait for science to explain how it was the cause of this quirk. Things happen outside mans ability to understand them. To try and quantify every situation is a vain attempt from humanity to reason its existance. By merely assigning a theory or proof does not in any way detract from the miracle of the occurance. Some things are because they are. There is a God.

When you consider the simple physics theorem of conservation of energy and mass, you begin to wonder what happened BEFORE the Big Bang. Then you start to realize that nobody knows, and you begin to wonder what could create something from nothing...when that is physically impossible.

That's what basically convinced me there is a higher power.

And personally, no offense to you guys, but I find it incredibly arrogant when some people claim "science has convinced them there is no God" when some of the most brilliant minds in science, absolute geniuses, really, have repeatedly stated that they have been convinced of the existence of a God. And for lowslowanddumb, if you're so into astronomy, you may be interested to know that the majority of professional astronomers are actually religious or agnostic.

Jester, that's a well reasoned out paper, but you have to admit, it seems a lot like wordplay and using logic(I'm talking math logic-if then, if and only if kinda stuff). Similarly, you might say that the only way to DISPROVE the existence of a God would be to prove that he does not exist...which is obviously impossible, therefore he must exist...
Personally, I don't think religion is something you can really reason out. You might think you're being intelligent by using human knowledge, but you're actually using such a limited knowledge base with very limited cognitive abilities that it seems pointless to me. You can translate that to:
Most people, no matter how well educated, know nearly nothing about everything. Furthermore, humans cannot actually accurately reason out every single scenario and situation, so you're wasting your time if you attempt to use reason to understand the existence of a divine being.

JKD

For the big bangers out there I have 2 words - Angular Momentum.

If the big bang started with a single, ultra dense, spinning mass that exploded, then the physics of angular momentum would say every fragment should spin in the same direction as the first mass.

Just in our solar system we have a couple planets and several moons that spin the opposite of the others.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by stevew
Originally posted by Fly Navy
lowslow_n_dumb: This has nothing to do with religion what I'm about to say, and I will not state my own beliefs, it is not important. But the universe is not in perfect order...it just appears that way...it's quite chaotic :) The most reasonable idea of how life came about, counter to Creationism, that I've ever heard is that we are a statistical probability. In the BILLIONS of stars that are out there, there will be planets...millions if not billions...at some point the required ingredients for life would come together. Makes a bit of sense, eh?

That is like saying if you take canvas and some paint and just spill the paint onto the canvas enough times then you are bound to come out with a picture of a guy walking his dog in the park with the leaves falling all around them... Come on who are we kidding, some superior being must have created everything you see and it didn't just happen by chance.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular but it is very easy to look the other way and not think about how everything around us got here. Especially if the consequences of believing are that we are indebted(sp?) to that superior being for what we have.

Do me a favor, understand probability and such before saying something like that. For the sake of argument, say the probability of said picture forming is 1 in 3 trillion. You do this process 3 trillion times. By the rules of probability, you will end up with this picture. Yes, that's very simplified. Life can be contrued as a probability of specific elements required to come together. How old is the universe (not by Creationism standards)? How much STUFF is out there? Understand?

I appreciate your response, but don't you dare come on here and pass an argument without any reasoning behind it. Just because something seems impossible, using the excuse "this isn't possible, so therefore a superior being MUST have done it." You have shown no thought. So please, tell me why it can't be possible?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by dsweeney
For the big bangers out there I have 2 words - Angular Momentum.

If the big bang started with a single, ultra dense, spinning mass that exploded, then the physics of angular momentum would say every fragment should spin in the same direction as the first mass.

Just in our solar system we have a couple planets and several moons that spin the opposite of the others.
You should also understand that we can't understand gravitational systems beyond a few dimensions.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
dsweeney,
Kinda off topic, but I like the "Multipule Universe" Theory to explain the way that our Universe is. Vegita, those are my thought exactly.

Ben

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Science is an attempt to understand the world and universe around us and how it works. It does nothing to prove or disprove a higher power.

I'm agnostic because my parents did not bring religion into our house. I had a pretty weak grasp of what it really was when I was younger, and when I eventually did I was past the point where I could take any particular religion seriously. I respect other peoples beliefs, but its really hard for someone to just pick a religion and decide it sounds better than the rest. Especially when I have no faith or belief that there are gods. Its kind of like the tooth fairy and the easter bunny to me.

As far as disproving the Big Bang. Its a little silly to apply simple newtonian mechanics to astrophysics. Not to mention, who's to say if there is a single universe or perhaps several. Remember the Big Bang is a theory, one of many, and only a fool would take it as an absolute truth.

erabe07

The majority of this thread has been civil, but while I was reading the last few posts it seems things are progressing slowly towards senseless arguing. I'm sure most people are aware there is no "correct" way to view this topic, lets just not spoil an interesting discussion with petty bickering.

JKD

FlyNavy,

I'd like to see the probability argument demonstrated on some (any) micro scale. If there is a probability of molecules coming together to form life (or any organized structure) we should be able to conduct enough experiments to reproduce something.

I know the flipside to this is that we can not produce the number of variables and possibilities out there. I would just like to see something random produce something organized. In nature it seems to be the opposite. Randomness produces disorganization. I haven't done extensive research on this, but I just don't see it...

riley

Fly Navy - before you chastise others, please look at your own "logic."

"Do me a favor, understand probability and such before saying something like that. For the sake of argument, say the probability of said picture forming is 1 in 3 trillion. You do this process 3 trillion times. By the rules of probability, you will end up with this picture."

Let me make it more basic - I never really attended my statistics class in college - only on exam days and that did not help me any. Unless I am wrong, you have a 1 in 2 chance (50-50) of a quarter landing on heads - so by your "rule of probability" the quarter would land heads at least once within two tosses. From here it is "scientific" - you can test this one by experimentation.... I think you would agree that the hypothesis of a quarter landing on heads at least once within two tosses - and testing it over and over and over is wrong. (Some times it will not land once within two tosses - so then your only conclusion is that it is not applicable to all situations). Like I said, I was never in my statistics class - but if that is the rule of probability, I'm glad I wasn't there to learn that crap.

In one of my previous posts I asked that no one use the ad hominem argument (attacking the person rather than their argument). Please don't fall into that trap...

I appreciate your response, but please don't pass an argument without any reasoning behind it. You have shown no thought by saying "everything is chaotic" or "we are all a statistical probability" so therefore a superior being could not exist. You don't have supporting rational. So please, tell us why it can't be possible?

(I used most of your words in that last paragraph, but turned it for you to answer.)

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Perhaps it was a bit off. If there is a one in 3 trillion chance that something will happen, it doesn't mean it will happen if you do it 3 trillion times. It may happen on all 3 trillion trys, or it may happen on none. The point is, there is a chance, and it can happen however infinitesimal it may seem.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Riley,
Your logic is wrong for the quarter anology. There is a .5 chance of the coin landing heads each flip. The each flip is what you left out. You could toss it 100 times and get heads everytime (if you do, you should check your coin to see if it's fixed) it still has a .5 chance for it to land tails or heads the next flip. I went to my stat class, it was fun and I did real well, it was those damn accounting classes that I couldn't handle.

Ben

kevin

interesting stuff from everybody. as for the chance of life argument, there are people (smart ones) on both sides of the fence, but more often than not i've only heard of the argument that the likelihood of the event was very, very small. but you can also argue that the likelihood of any event happening in exactly the way it does in the physical dimensions is unlikely. in fact, it's impossible to repeat, perpetually increasing entropy. the real kicker is why when entropy dictates the fundamental "flow" of space and time, organization happens on such a macroscopic level (particularly life). as to the big bang, it is quite possible by the definitions of science (and here is where definitions can be a great evil) that the entire matter and energy of the universe came from nothing. problem is, that nothing is potential energy (no time, no space, no matter, no energy) which is technically nothing. but the question remains where this "nothingness" came from (ooh, that sounded like a buddhist). and as to angular momentum and whatnot, the laws of the universe did not necessarily dictate the big bang....for instance, by theory the mass of the universe expanded for several seconds faster than the speed of light (but we "know" now that the light is the limiting speed).

Status
Not open for further replies.