• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any advice for a late bloomer?

EastonHuneycutt

I am 28 years old. Got my life together a little late. Worked in the construction field for about 10 years out of high school. Recently went back to community college and got my AA. Just finished my BA in History with a 3.74.
Accepted a funded position at the same school for a MA in History program. I will be starting this fall and would be finished Spring 2024. I had planned to apply for PhD programs. However, recently I have been strongly considering a tour in the Navy.
I have my PPL with almost 200 hours logged, have passed two Class 1 flight physicals. I would really like to become a SNA after OCS training. I have read quite a few forums, but I wanted to hear if I would have any chance really? If so is it too early to start talking to a recruiter?
I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Meyerkord

pilot
Keep in mind, you need to commission before you hit age 32 for SNA. You still have time, but if you’re pursuing a masters and possibly a PhD, you’ll need a make a decision at some point. It’s not too late or too early to apply. The process can be lengthy. Biggest factors are usually your GPA (which is good), and your ASTB score, which is a test you’ll take during the application process. Lots of gouge and practice tests floating around this site you can use to prep.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As someone that has a Ph.D in History my advice is to wait on that degree. There are very few jobs available, tenure is dying (and will be gone entirely soon enough) and it always, always takes longer to finish than anyone plans. Besides, there is no age limit on higher education and if you go into the service there is a good chance you can get a good portion of your future education paid for by “the man.”

If you have any desire to fly for the military I’d recommend applying for each of the service programs and seeing what you get. Grad school will always be there.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The timing may not work with your getting a PhD before applying to Naval Aviation (Aviaiton age cut off is 32 years of age).

Talk to a local officer recruiter, but I'm sure there's not many people out there who regretted flying for the Navy (or really any other service).

EastonHuneycutt

As someone that has a Ph.D in History my advice is to wait on that degree. There are very few jobs available, tenure is dying (and will be gone entirely soon enough) and it always, always takes longer to finish than anyone plans. Besides, there is no age limit on higher education and if you go into the service there is a good chance you can get a good portion of your future education paid for by “the man.”

If you have any desire to fly for the military I’d recommend applying for each of the service programs and seeing what you get. Grad school will always be there.
This was my thinking too… number one I didn’t want to age out of the pilot training attempting to get my PhD, and number two, I am terrified that I won’t find a good tenure position.
So I figured doing a tour would like you said help pay for that PhD down the rod, and I would like to think veteran status would help with finding a job down the road.
If you don’t mind me asking, did you get your PhD out of the service?
Thank you very much!

EastonHuneycutt

Keep in mind, you need to commission before you hit age 32 for SNA. You still have time, but if you’re pursuing a masters and possibly a PhD, you’ll need a make a decision at some point. It’s not too late or too early to apply. The process can be lengthy. Biggest factors are usually your GPA (which is good), and your ASTB score, which is a test you’ll take during the application process. Lots of gouge and practice tests floating around this site you can use to prep.
Thank you for the information!
The plan is to head to OCS after my MA program if that is the route I am going to take. That would put me in OCS right before I turn 31, so I should be fine there. I am going to get to work trying to find an officer recruiter near me and see if I can’t get the ball rolling.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If you don’t mind me asking, did you get your PhD out of the service?
Thank you very much!
Half-and-half. I was in the Army National Guard at the time so they paid for the tuition and fees (as long as it was a state school) and GI Bill helped with the rest. When I look at my contemporaries struggling with student loan debt still…it was a great deal.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Thank you for the information!
The plan is to head to OCS after my MA program if that is the route I am going to take. That would put me in OCS right before I turn 31, so I should be fine there. I am going to get to work trying to find an officer recruiter near me and see if I can’t get the ball rolling.
My $.02....don’t wait on OCS if you can get in. You’re cutting it close by planning to commission at 31 if the cutoff is now 32.

OCS is a “spigot” that gets turned on and off depending on manning needs of the Navy. Apply early and often. I was applying as a senior in college when they turned off the spigot and didn’t take any new applicants for almost a year. I ended up with a a gap year. If that happens to you with your current plan you could be screwed.

I get that you want to finish the MA. It’s an understandable goal...but if you’re signing up for basically a minimum 10 year Navy career, what’s the point in the end?

EastonHuneycutt

I get that you want to finish the MA. It’s an understandable goal...but if you’re signing up for basically a minimum 10 year Navy career, what’s the point in the end?
Everything you said makes sense. I didn’t realize OCS gets cut on and off.
The only problem with leaving my MA program is that it is funded… 22k stipend a year plus tuition remission. Also if I leave that program, the professors who I have gained relationships with would likely not be too happy writing me letters after quitting.
Academia is my passion, but as you and others mention that passion has no age limit where the Navy does. I could possibly do my 10 years, get my PhD and be teaching before I turn 45. Still not a terrible outlook for me.

Sonog

pilot
Go see Top Gun 2 and then decide with a clear head. /s

Fear of failure and rejection is probably one of the top limiting factors when people are considering applying. Humans don't like to take those rejection risks, especially when there's inherent risks of life disruption such as moving, quitting jobs, etc. I would say if you're going to be passionate about it, do it.

SE_53

Everything you said makes sense. I didn’t realize OCS gets cut on and off.
The only problem with leaving my MA program is that it is funded… 22k stipend a year plus tuition remission. Also if I leave that program, the professors who I have gained relationships with would likely not be too happy writing me letters after quitting.
Academia is my passion, but as you and others mention that passion has no age limit where the Navy does. I could possibly do my 10 years, get my PhD and be teaching before I turn 45. Still not a terrible outlook for me.
Like previously said, its a lengthy undertaking to go to OCS. The wait time right now after getting selected at the board is 1 year. If you make the nov board then that would mean going to OCS next dec. I would definitely recommend applying ASAP so you can get as many chances as possible before aging out. You should hopefully not loose your current professors respect because you choose to join the military.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Consider Air Guard or Army Guard. You have the service obligation and you can keep your academic funding (and fly “locally” while getting that doctorate).

EastonHuneycutt

Go see Top Gun 2 and then decide with a clear head. /s

Fear of failure and rejection is probably one of the top limiting factors when people are considering applying. Humans don't like to take those rejection risks, especially when there's inherent risks of life disruption such as moving, quitting jobs, etc. I would say if you're going to be passionate about it, do it.
I haven’t seen the second one yet. However…. my mom did name me Maverick after the first one. I also want to be very clear this has 0 bearing on this decision haha.

Started the process of getting in touch with a recruiter today. I am not afraid of the rejection, but I can’t lie and say the life disruption hasn’t crossed my mind. Though I think the benefits would outweigh those negatives.

Thank you everyone for all the advice, I think this has eased my mind that this my plan while cutting it close age wise, isn’t a terrible idea in the grand scheme of things.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Also if I leave that program, the professors who I have gained relationships with would likely not be too happy writing me letters after quitting.

Why would you want to be around folks who would be vindictive because of a choice you made about your life and your career? Why would their recommendations be anything other than "We hate to see him go, you're getting a quality person."

If Academia is your passion, why are you pursuing being a military pilot?

As Griz said, you should really look into the Air or Army National Guard