• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropomorphic issue for fitting in a naval strike fighter jet

Mobius007

Greetings,
I have a question here relating to anthropomorphic problems.
I'm currently stand 64 inches tall (and I'm still struggling to gain few more inches) and only weigh 106 lbs (also struggling to add more weight).
What is the minimum standing height to fit in a naval strike fighter jet like F/A-18 ?
Also I believe there's a minimum weight since it's using ejection seat. What is the minimum weight for that?
Are there any other issue regarding to anthropomorpic like minimum sitting height, arm length for reaching cockpit panels, etc. ?
If so, can you explain them ?
Thanks in advance.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Seeing that you're 19, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll gain a few pounds in college...standing height isn't a factor, however there are minimums and maximums regarding sitting eye height, buttock knee length, and the length of your arms.

The numbers are posted somewhere else on this site, but most of the people I've seen anthro'd out of jets have been too big, not too small. Women usually run on the small side and they have no trouble making it in the pipeline.

Bottom line though is you can't change how big/small you are...if you fit, you fit. It's certainly not something you should worry about.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Greetings,
I'm currently stand 64 inches tall (and I'm still struggling to gain few more inches) and only weigh 106 lbs (also struggling to add more weight).
What wlawr005 said. You are probably a 'late bloomer' re: height/weight. You should continue to grow & gain, plus you have years before this becomes problematic. In order to better help us to help you... recommend you make a better effort to fill in your profile with a little of your background info (a bit more than age/DOB)?;)
BzB

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First, sorry to be nitpicky, but the term is anthopometrics. An anthropomorphic jet would have a face and talk to you. I sincerely hope you're anthropomorphic. :)

Second, I too was below the weight for the seat when I commissioned, and they had me sign a waiver before beginning training acknowledging the risks. If you're too light, you have an increased risk of spinal fractures from the rocket motor going off, and an increased risk of seat aerodynamic instability in the airstream (it's designed to be so heavy). This beats the problem the fat boys have, which is that they might not clear the tail or get enough oomph in a low-level ejection for proper seat deployment.

You're probably the same type I was back then; eat, lift, eat, lift, nothing happens. Then you'll hit 30, have your metabolism crash, and have to cut back on the beer and wings.

Most of the small types I went through primary with were anthro'ed out of jets. There was one that could only fly TC-2s because her arms were so short.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Minimum weight is also an issue for JHMCS. I believe the cutoff is 130 lbs. As others have said you should have no problem putting on a few pounds in the next couple of years. As someone who is 6'2" and pushing 240, I sometimes wish I was on the other side of the size spectrum, even in the relatively roomy cockpit of the Rhino.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As someone who is 6'2" and pushing 240, I sometimes wish I was on the other side of the size spectrum, even in the relatively roomy cockpit of the Rhino.
Yeah, but then you wouldn't have that moonlight gig as a strip joint bouncer!:eek:
Strip_Club_Bouncer_.jpg
BzB

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Minimum weight is also an issue for JHMCS. I believe the cutoff is 130 lbs. As others have said you should have no problem putting on a few pounds in the next couple of years. As someone who is 6'2" and pushing 240, I sometimes wish I was on the other side of the size spectrum, even in the relatively roomy cockpit of the Rhino.
Out of curiosity, what does weight have to do with JHMCS? I thought it was essentially just a fancy visor.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Out of curiosity, what does weight have to do with JHMCS? I thought it was essentially just a fancy visor.

There's also a heavy ass helmet/umbilical that moves the CG of your head around pretty substantially.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to be 6' 6" and 240 pounds.

But after too many years pulling max Gs, I'm now only 5' 8", ........ and thus, "short for my weight." :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There's also a heavy ass helmet/umbilical that moves the CG of your head around pretty substantially.

Yeah, (at wlar) as hard as it is to move your head around (comparatively) during BFM with one on, I'm gonna guess that it could seriously F you up in an ejection. Also, if you don't attach the cord right, the quick release won't work and you will get your neck snapped. It is quite a bit more than a fancy visor.....in fact the visuals are not even projected onto the visor, but rather into your right eye.

For the OP, the latest NACES seat has a minimum weight certification of like 137 lbs or so. The old seat on early lot Hornets was I think a difference of 10 lbs (can't remember which way), but there aren't a lot of those around aside from in the RAG. And Nittany is spot on.....my weight never fluctuated more than 5 lbs during my late teens and 20's, but literally the day I turned 30 this year, I started to gain a little bit of weight. FML.......time to not love beer as much I guess, or to love running more :)

exNavyOffRec

I used to be 6' 6" and 240 pounds.

But after too many years pulling max Gs, I'm now only 5' 8", ........ and thus, "short for my weight." :D

I wonder if I can blame my current height on exposure to radiation :) do you think girls would think that is as cool as your explanation?

jtmedli

pilot
Greetings,
What is the minimum standing height to fit in a naval strike fighter jet like F/A-18 ?
Also I believe there's a minimum weight since it's using ejection seat. What is the minimum weight for that?
Are there any other issue regarding to anthropomorpic like minimum sitting height, arm length for reaching cockpit panels, etc. ?
If so, can you explain them ?
Thanks in advance.

As others have said, you're young and your metabolism will slow. I went from 130 to 165 in college and gained about 2-3 inches of height. My advice: Lift heavy and eat like a horse (but dont get fat....i.e. eat lots of healthy meats and veggies).

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if I can blame my current height on exposure to radiation :) do you think girls would think that is as cool as your explanation?
Unfortunately girls are a lot more astute these days than they were in my generation.

So the answer is probably no. But that is still no reason to not "try" that scenario.