• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
Anthro Remeasure

So I get pro-req'd by the september boards for SNA. I go to MEPS and pass, and do some security clarification stuff when BAM! my recruiter calls me and says i need to get a flight surgeon to do my anthro measurements because the ones he took are no good. He also says that this disqualifies me and that I am now a non-select. He asks me if I know any flight surgeons, but then schedules one at the Norfolk Base with the flight people. So I get measured by a petty officer and resubmit to my processor, but they don't like it because it wasn't done by a flight surgeon. So now I have to call the people who wrote me LOR's because my recruiter doesn't know/can't find a flight surgeon. Any one had this happen to them? Any suggestions on what to do? I know this is a hurry up and wait game, but i've been "waiting" since may (when I turned in ALL of my paperwork) and its starting to get REALLY frustrating...

radar

What do you mean the ones he took are "no good"? I was pro rec'd by the september boards to for sna and just submitted my MEPS and and PRT results back for final select. I hope the same does not happen to me.

lacasera

in his words "they didn't like them" and i can only assume because one of them was too close to one of the limits. There are many sources of error though. For one, I think he wrote down my height incorrectly because on the form I took to Norfolk my height was listed as 71", and i'm only 68" which could throw the ranges off. Also, he measured me in a cushioned chair, which would give slightly lower measurements. I know I qualify because I measured myself correctly and was within the limits, and my measurements from Norfolk were almost exactly the same as mine. It just sucks that it has to be a flight surgeon. And I don't know why this is ONLY happening to me. According to my recruiter (and everything I've seen on this board) this hasn't happened before. I'm not even technically allowed to see a flight surgeon because i'm a civilian...

radar

I'm 76" and close to maxing out on the length from my hip to feet. The limit for me was 50" and I was 50" but I was measured with my shoes on. With my shoes off I am 49". Good luck b/c like you said it sounds like a screwed up situation...hopefully the same won't happen to me.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I'm 76" and close to maxing out on the length from my hip to feet. The limit for me was 50" and I was 50" but I was measured with my shoes on. With my shoes off I am 49".

So.....are you gonna fly with your shoes off??? I hear a lot of you (wanna be?) herc guys do that. i kid i kid.

btw...is that a herc, or a P-3 in your avatar?

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I don't have any answers, but I did go through a similar situation. We took my measurements three times and then CNRC said it had to be done by a flight surgeon. Luckily I have a near by AF Base. The flight surgeon didn't do it himself, he just signed off on it from having someone else do it.

I haven't heard a complaint since. Then again, I did not Final Select due to the PRT.

winger

FNG
Get over to Oceana and get a RAG doc or one of the ones for the fleet squadrons to do it. You're in Virginia Beach, right?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Get over to Oceana and get a RAG doc or one of the ones for the fleet squadrons to do it. You're in Virginia Beach, right?

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how a recruiter in Va Beach doesn't know where to find a flight doc. This may be one of those initiative tests you've read about here. You need to call military sick call for Aviation medicine, either at Oceana or Norfolk and tell the person on the phone (and not the main appointments number) that you need to see a flight doc for 5 minutes to get measured. I would guess that if you just dropped in in the morning, one of the docs would just fit you in.

Rubiks06

pilot
I had a similar thing happen to me they told me I was NPQ'd when I first started because i didnt meet height weight requirements. After a little bit of homework and looking into it further. They had me written down as being 5'3" and 210 pounds. Im 6'3" twelve inches kind of makes a big difference. It was a huge pain in the ass to get re-measured and I had access to a military medical facility.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I had a similar thing happen to me they told me I was NPQ'd when I first started because i didnt meet height weight requirements. After a little bit of homework and looking into it further. They had me written down as being 5'3" and 210 pounds. Im 6'3" twelve inches kind of makes a big difference. It was a huge pain in the ass to get re-measured and I had access to a military medical facility.
5'3", 210 #........DID THEY THINK YOU WERE A MANATEE?......MANATEES ARE AUTOMATICALLY NPQ'D.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how a recruiter in Va Beach doesn't know where to find a flight doc. This may be one of those initiative tests you've read about here. You need to call military sick call for Aviation medicine, either at Oceana or Norfolk and tell the person on the phone (and not the main appointments number) that you need to see a flight doc for 5 minutes to get measured. I would guess that if you just dropped in in the morning, one of the docs would just fit you in.

To the OP: Good advce here.

lacasera

i don't know what the recruiter measured me as, but the other day the HM1 measured my sitting height at 35", my buttock-knee length @ 24" and my functional reach at 31". and i'm 5'8".

Goob83

None
Here are the guidlines I use and have never had a problem you look fine to me but you need to see what actually went down on the form the recruiter sent in. These are guidlines not a guarantee.

FOR MALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

FOR FEMALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 33.5 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

FOR SNFO (MALE OR FEMALE):
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 27.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: 20.5 inches or greater
3. Sitting Height: 32 inches or greater

The following guidelines give directions as far as height concerns. Generally an applicant between 66" and 74" will be compatible for all pipelines.

FOR SNA:

1. IF 64 INCHES OR GREATER, BUT LESS THAN 76 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH AT LEAST TWO PIPELINES (SOMETIMES THREE)

2. IF GREATER THAN 76 INCHES, BUT LESS THAN 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ONLY ONE PIPELINE (NORMALLY PROPS), BUT POSSIBLY TWO PIPELINES (DEPENDS ON SITTING HT).

3. IF LESS THAN 64 INCHES:

· SAFE ANTHROPOMETRICS COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY PIPELINE IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

· INDIVIDUAL IN QUESTION SHOULD BE SENT TO NOMI FOR OFFICIAL ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION BY NASC FLIGHT PHYSIOLOGIST

FOR SNFO:
1. IF BETWEEN 64 INCHES AND 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SITTING HEIGHTS GREATER THAN 37.4 INCHES.

2. IF BETWEEN 60 INCHES AND 64 INCHES:

MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE T-2, F/A-18, AND EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH FUNCTIONAL REACHES LESS THAN 27.5 INCHES (T-REX ARMS).
Finally weight limits prohibit any training for applicants over 235 lbs. This is due to the safety concerns of ejection seats. No candidate will be allowed to enter training who is over 235 lbs.