• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anterior compartment syndrome

Boomer91

I am currently a BDCP Officer Candidate and have come across a minor glitch when I run. I have tightness/numbness on both sides of my legs which was recently diagnosed as anterior compartment syndrome by an orthopedic doctor. Sometimes the symptoms are so bad I can't point my toes towards my knees. I am having a fasciotomy to correct the problem and was wondering if anyone has had this procedure done and could chime in as far as how the recovery went and the improvement in your running afterwards. I understand that this isn't a very common condition but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I had anterior/posterior compartment syndrome and had two surgeries after some failed physical therapy attempts. The surgeries themselves weren't bad, I got a "prophylactic" (That's what the anesthesiologist called it...) before they put me under so I didn't wake up with any side effects from the general anesthesia. The first time I didn't and felt kinda crappy for five/six hours afterwards, but different strokes for different folks on that component of it.

The surgery itself was minor enough, I had both legs sliced and was in/out in three hours including admin processing and everything. I found it to be relatively quick to recover from and was off crutches after a couple days... just don't plan on really doing any running for 2-5 weeks depending on what your doctor says. My last surgery was last May, and while I still can't run a marathon, I'm good for 3-4 miles.

Of course, I had a full recovery and remain symptom free and why are you accusing me anyway.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Getting information is all fine and dandy, but don't put much worth into it. Jackass may have a similar condition but he's no physical therapist, doctor or flight doc. I think it is smart to explore all possible avenues before surgery, but take medical advice off the internet is silly (especially someone with a bad reputation). Talk to your doctor.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I am currently a BDCP Officer Candidate and have come across a minor glitch when I run. I have tightness/numbness on both sides of my legs which was recently diagnosed as anterior compartment syndrome by an orthopedic doctor. Sometimes the symptoms are so bad I can't point my toes towards my knees. I am having a fasciotomy to correct the problem and was wondering if anyone has had this procedure done and could chime in as far as how the recovery went and the improvement in your running afterwards. I understand that this isn't a very common condition but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Been training a lot?

Did your doc use the words 'post exercise compartment pressure'?

Did he tell you the ACS was chronic?

Did he tell you there was a defect in the muscle fascia?

I gots to know, I gots to know..........

Boomer91

All great responses. Thanks for the input from both the surgery and physical therapy sides of the treatment.

feddoc:

Yes, I have been training a lot, but I have also been training differently compared to the past. I was very athletic growing up and through high school, playing hockey almost every day of the year. However since my training was on the ice and the symptoms never showed up there, running has been more and more of a pain the older I have gotten. This has been an issue that I noticed a while back and has progressively worsened.

The diagnosis was bilateral exertional compartment syndrome. He said that on both sides, the muscle fascia doesn't expand with my muscle which eventually leads to the nerve (I forget the name of the nerve) in my lower leg going numb which results in the inability to control my feet after running. Also I have noticed the symptoms if I walk for a very long distance.

Boomer91

Side note, I have talked to both my university's chief M.D., physical therapist, as well as the ortho. surgeon, all of which have agreed that physical therapy as well as orthopedics are not successful with this condition. You could talk to 5 doctors and get up to 5 different opinions. My intention for this wasn't to get surgical advice, but more so to get a personal experience on recovery and symptom relief. Again I thank you all for the responses.