• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another vision question..

XeroJaeger

Hey all,

Sorry to bother with yet another vision question, but I'm wondering a few things.

I'm designated SNA, set to report Mar 2, which means march 4 I should have my flight physical for OCS (right?). At MEPS I passed all the eye tests and had 20/20. Now thats great and all, but most of the time my distant vision is a little blurry after I focus on something up close for an extended period, so naturally I'll be laying off the comp a few days before I leave.

Question - How many letters are you allowed to "Get wrong" in your eye test? I know at MEPS it was 3 or something, and I think I missed 2 on the 20/20 line. I've been through a real bear of a process with this and I'd hate to get up there and get washed.

Question - Anyone have CRS (sinus condition) or anything like that? I'm taking Nasonex nose spray right now and don't want to take it with me if it NPQ's me - but its a topical spray, so I think its kosher. Any help with this?

Question - When I got pro-rec'ed I got selected for all 3 choices I had (SNA, NFO, SWO). If for any reason I wash from aviation (like CRS, even though I have a waiver) I'd really like to do something like...SWCC. Is it possible to have paperwork on this before I go, or will I have time to list a preference, or is it needs of the Navy?

Thanks for any help.

-X.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hydration is one of the keys to passing the eye exam. Make sure you drink lots of water before you go for the physical.

To answer your last question: If you attrite from flight school, then it boils down to the needs of the Navy. You will end up applying for what you would like, but the Navy has the final say.

-ea6bflyr ;)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Work on making your eyes tear up on command. I have found this to be most helpful during eye exams and flying the ball. It helps with Valentines Day with the significant other too.

blur

A-pool
dangit...I thought the next flight physical would be at NAMI after OCS? So now I have to pass 2 more...great!

I'm kind of in the same boat...I'm not too worried about my actual vision (20/20, etc) or the color vision, but I didn't like the depth perception test with the circles. I thought that thing was pretty rough...gah...

UMichfly

pilot
None
I'm kind of in the same boat...I'm not too worried about my actual vision (20/20, etc) or the color vision, but I didn't like the depth perception test with the circles. I thought that thing was pretty rough...gah...

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Pretty much everyone has troubles with that worthless ass circle test. It doesn't directly measure your depth perception so it gives a lot of people troubles, including me. I got lucky enough to pass it first try at NAMI but a buddy of mine couldn't pass it for the life of him. They didn't automatically fail him and instead gave him another depth perception test that actually directly tests your depth perception using 3 little movable posts. He passed that just fine and is wading into Primary in Corpus as we speak. Just make sure you're hydrated and don't back down if you choke on a NAMI test like that.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The military charts are "Goodlite", not SNELLEN (ie, 10 letters for EACH line, not increasing as lines get smaller).

In order for a line to "count" you may get NO mistakes. I.E.: If you read 20/40-2 (2 mistakes) you are NOT 20/40 and are NPQ. If you read 20/20-2 and 20/30-1 and 20/40-0 you are 20/40 and good to go. 20/20-1 and 20/30-0 you are 20/30 and good to go. Make sense?