• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another reason to avoid the Norfolk

Kycntryboy

pilot
VA got together and decided that is what was best for them. You sound like a liberal, you think you know what is best for everyone else. Maybe you have been hanging with the Hollywood lefties for a little too long.

misread... good now... however pushing ideas onto the public in form of laws is not a one party phenomenon and I would venture to say its more republican than democrat

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
misread... good now... however pushing ideas onto the public in form of laws is not a one party phenomenon and I would venture to say its more republican than democrat

Aha! Good catch, I chose the word liberal for a reason.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
VA got together and decided that is what was best for them.

That's not exactly what happened here. According to the article, the "driver responsibility tax" was slipped into a larger bill by this legislator. It's not like the people of Virginia chose this for themselves in a referendum. Anyway, my guess is that public outrage will put pressure on state legislators and lead to a repeal of this fairly quickly, which will actually be democracy at work and not just a few politicians trying to increase revenue. I agree that the bigger issue to voters should be the conflict of interest with the legislator in question.

haubby

None
Contributor
While the article doesnt talk about and it and I find this law to be ridiculous in nature, this law must have been the middle ground instead of putting tolls back on the highways. Not too long ago there were poeple in VA that wanted to toll 264 again and other major highways. Another way to fund road projects without raising taxes. The govenor even said that on tv. His quote "obey the law and you have nothing to worry about"

hscs

pilot
the screwed up thing is that if you are an out of state driver -- you pay a normal fee -- not the thousands of dollars

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Why is that ridiculous? If that's a way that VA thinks it can raise money, good for them...

VA got together and decided that is what was best for them. You sound like a liberal, you think you know what is best for everyone else. Maybe you have been hanging with the Hollywood lefties for a little too long.

Obviously, the real issue is that the normal process was subverted by a self-serving politician.
If VA decided that everyone who drove 1 MPH over the speed limit received 5 grand in fines then you would not think this is a bit over the top? After all, 1 MPH is breaking the law. To me 15 seems a bit unrealistic; perhaps 20 MPH as I believe this is the threshold for reckless driving.

So you think being critical of a law means you know what is best for everyone and therefore a liberal?:confused:

You are either naive in thinking that state legislatures don't often make laws that are odd or excessive (and should be made fun of), or you think if it has been decided in the state house it should not be changed or debated in the public forum because that means you think you know what is best for everyone. Careful...if the state of your residence starts taxing you at an excessive rate make sure you aren't critical of it...good for them if they think they can raise money that way, right?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So you think being critical of a law means you know what is best for everyone and therefore a liberal?:confused:

No, being from another state (in this case Sly1978 is from CA) and having no idea of how/why VA chooses to do what they do.

You are either naive in thinking that state legislatures don't often make laws that are odd or excessive (and should be made fun of), or you think if it has been decided in the state house it should not be changed or debated in the public forum because that means you think you know what is best for everyone.

The last line of my post clearly states the real issue is that the normal legislative process was subverted by a self serving politician.

Careful...if the state of your residence starts taxing you at an excessive rate make sure you aren't critical of it...good for them if they think they can raise money that way, right?

Thanks, I will remember that.

Oh wait, no I won't. If that happens in my state, and I don't like the law I will take part in the legislative process and work to get it changed, just like many people in VA are doing.

Who decides what is excessive and what is not? If the RI state legislature passes a law that charges taxes at a rate that some guy in CA thinks is excessive, but the people of RI decide to do nothing about it, then they accept the law as not excessive.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That's not exactly what happened here. According to the article, the "driver responsibility tax" was slipped into a larger bill by this legislator. It's not like the people of Virginia chose this for themselves in a referendum. Anyway, my guess is that public outrage will put pressure on state legislators and lead to a repeal of this fairly quickly, which will actually be democracy at work and not just a few politicians trying to increase revenue. I agree that the bigger issue to voters should be the conflict of interest with the legislator in question.

That is true. I didn't catch the article's date. This is old news out here, but I thought the article was referring to a recent law that happened to be similar to the "old news" one. So, I have been working on the premise that VA already had similar laws and this new one just happened to throw business to a unethical self-serving legislator.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax"[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard!![/FONT]
No taxation without representation.....I am sure that is what 51% of the population there wants...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
No, being from another state (in this case Sly1978 is from CA) and having no idea of how/why VA chooses to do what they do [is liberal].
Ah, so being uniformed about the debate is liberal.

hh-60H; 359326 said:
That is true. I didn't catch the article's date. This is old news out here, but I thought the article was referring to a recent law that happened to be similar to the "old news" one. So, I have been working on the premise that VA already had similar laws and this new one just happened to throw business to a unethical self-serving legislator.
Liberal.;)
Oh wait, no I won't. If that happens in my state, and I don't like the law I will take part in the legislative process and work to get it changed, just like many people in VA are doing.

Who decides what is excessive and what is not? If the RI state legislature passes a law that charges taxes at a rate that some guy in CA thinks is excessive, but the people of RI decide to do nothing about it, then they accept the law as not excessive.
Looks like you answered your question; you think only voters from the state making the "excessive" law can make judgements on what is excessive. I disagree and think anyone who is affected by the law can make that judgement and work to get it changed (through pressure groups, lobbying, etc.). This law is one of those laws, as driving through VA affects more than just the residents/voters of the lovely Commonwealth of VA. So discussing how draconian this law is does not fall under liberal or conservative, IMO.

Anyway, I don't disagree that it appears that this legislator slid this in to a larger bill and it seems self-serving, but it isn't the only thing worth discussing.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

But why does that stop the CA resident from having an opinion on the matter, most likely one that they would project to the context of their own state? Thinking that a group of people have passed a stupid law and should not live that way does not automatically extend to: "I'm going to tell you how to live" liberalism, as you put it.

It is a stupid piece of legislation and I would fight against it if it were in my state. That's my opinion, which, like my asshole, I am entitled to. However, I also believe the people of Virgina have every RIGHT to live that way, even if I think it is stupid.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
No taxation without representation.....I am sure that is what 51% of the population there wants...
It's not taxation without representation; it's their elected representative who proposed the tax in the first place. And while 51 percent of them might have wanted to see him in office, that doesn't meant that 51 percent also think that a $3,500 speeding ticket is a wise and reasonable approach to public safety.