• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

another prowler thread

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On my cruise this summer (on CV-63), I was totally impressed by the Prowler and the guys that fly it. So far, it seems like the greatest challenge and maybe the most interesting mission in the airwing. So, I was wondering if you guys (who know something about the fleet and its future) think that I might have a chance to fly it? I.E What is the latest word on the EA-6B's retirement.....would I still be able to get into its pipeline? I will be comissioning in 2007 FYI. Is it worth it?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
That is some very impressive sucking up....just kidding...cool that you found a platform you like. Did you get a chance to fly in an EA-6B?

There is a link regarding Prowlers active right now...check out: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12242

Cheers,
G
Since this hasn't really been covered in the linked thread, the EA-18G won't see the fleet until 2008-09 at the earliest, then the transition and phase out of Prowlers will be gradual, lasting until around 2015 (last I heard). Obviously, all these dates are fluid, but that gives you a general timeline. Check the linked thread for some more info on what the flying is like. Bottom line, it's not a fighter, but the mission is exciting, technical, of critical importance to just about every kind of mission that the airwing does, and gets alot of visibility/attention from the higher ups. Get to do alot of under the radar "spooky" stuff. Obviously, I'm biased, but there isn't another platform/mission that I'd rather be a part of.

Brett

Kolja

Git-r-done
If you get winged around 2007, and you want to go into electronic attack, odds are QUITE good you'll be going EA-6Bs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kolja said:
If you get winged around 2007, and you want to go into electronic attack, odds are QUITE good you'll be going EA-6Bs.
Hell, if you get winged in 2010, odds will still be quite good for getting Prowlers.

Brett

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Then you too will get the chance to soar the skies in a BUNO 158xxx tactical jammer. I'm surprised there's not an ashtray in it.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Dawgfan said:
Then you too will get the chance to soar the skies in a BUNO 158xxx tactical jammer. I'm surprised there's not an ashtray in it.

as long as there's a cup holder I'll be happy

here hold my drink, I want to try something :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
SteveG75 said:
WTF?? I am 6'2" and have 1200+ Prolwer hours. :confused:

yeah, I would think it would actually help being taller, just to be more able to get in and out of the jet. I had a hell of a time trying to crawl into it....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
yeah, I would think it would actually help being taller, just to be more able to get in and out of the jet. I had a hell of a time trying to crawl into it....
It's got nothing to do with getting in or out. All the various anthropometric requirements have to do with fitting in the seat and functional reach.

Brett

B

Blutonski816

MIDNJAC said:
so thats why that 5'1" female at my unit can't get a pilot slot ;)

Like Brett mentioned, it all depends on your ability to physically operate the necessary controls on the aircraft.
I've heard of a 5'4" female NFO who flew Tomcats, despite the height regs because she could reach all the controls she needed...