• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

Pugs

Back from the range
None
On a serious note, what's the solution to the acquisition mess?

There really isn't a single solution. We develop, acquire and manage such a wide variety of projects from paying a contractor for a single application to managing huge weapon systems over multiple years for multiple customers and integrated government and contractor team and we have essentially one acquisition system to do so.

To successfully pull it off (and it can be done despite what you read in the headlines) it requires a team of people that understand how to select the proper governance model and the authorities to stick to it and make sure the process is followed. However IME, the government at my customer anyway does not often empower managers to make hard decisions and control their processes. They then become frustrated and leave and the new manager then is left to pick up a program maybe half way through a development project. It's rare that they follow through and deliver a complete solution that really meets the requirements originally bought into.

The current mantra of agile development is not really making it better although not really developing requirements make it easier to declare success. :D

So, I'm not so sure the system is broken as much as we don't make sure that leadership teams of acquisition, engineering and management are built and that they are empowered and rewarded for successful programs. In my experience you get one or maybe two of those critical skills and try and muddle through and it inevitably goes poorly.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
So, I'm not so sure the system is broken as much as we don't make sure that leadership teams of acquisition, engineering and management are built and that they are empowered and rewarded for successful programs. In my experience you get one or maybe two of those critical skills and try and muddle through and it inevitably goes poorly.

That sounds broke to me.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It still amazes me how quickly some other counties seem to pump out variants and/or new aircraft, etc...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It still amazes me how quickly some other counties seem to pump out variants and/or new aircraft, etc...

I can't think of a modern fighter that has not been a drawn out process. Think Rafeal or Tornado or Gripen. All took years, not F-22 years but years.

murryton

pilot
Other countries don't have to worry about safety the way we do. America values human life so much that even an armed robber getting killed brings on a murder trial...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supersonic Raptor

web_090622-N-7780S-014.jpg

090622-N-7780S-014 GULF OF ALASKA (June 22, 2009) An Air Force F-22 Raptor executes a supersonic flyby over the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74). John C. Stennis is participating in Northern Edge 2009, a joint exercise focusing on detecting and tracking units at sea, in the air and on land. (U.S. Navy photo by Sonar Technician (Surface) 1st Class Ronald Dejarnett/Released)

Note: I'll stuff this into the Picture Gallery later, but it's worthy of its own thread for now

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I think that aircraft is almost supersonic. The shock isn't in the right place yet, and there's only one. Anyone w/ "actual" supersonic/sonic experience care to weigh in?

Regardless of what the caption said, that photo is awesome.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that aircraft is almost supersonic. The shock isn't in the right place yet, and there's only one. Anyone w/ "actual" supersonic/sonic experience care to weigh in?

Regardless of what the caption said, that photo is awesome.

It doesn't have to pass completely beyond the shock cone to be supersonic. I've seen lots of supersonic passes and they all pretty much look like that.

Brett

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport

I "suggest" you Google this term: prandtl-glauert singularity

[ditch the quote routine...please]

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeah, and don't forget the mathematical theory behind it:
ae75a02072ebccaf7288b6c258516aa2.png

aka the Prandtl?Glauert transformation or Prandtl?Glauert rule or Prandtl?Glauert?Ackeret rule.

Yawn.....:sleep_125:sleep_125

2sr2worry, I see Electronic Warfare in your future.

-ea6bflyr ;)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

I'm confused:

"The Prandtl–Glauert singularity (sometimes referred to as a "vapor cone") is the point at which a sudden drop in air pressure occurs, and is generally accepted as the cause of the visible condensation cloud that often surrounds an aircraft traveling at transonic speeds, though there remains some debate"

So then Beans is right and don't be an "ASS"

KBayDog

Yeah, and don't forget the mathematical theory behind it:
ae75a02072ebccaf7288b6c258516aa2.png

aka the Prandtl?Glauert transformation or Prandtl?Glauert rule or Prandtl?Glauert?Ackeret rule.

Yawn.....:sleep_125:sleep_125

2sr2worry, I see Electronic Warfare in your future.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Yeaaaaaah, soooooo...coming out for Comic-Con this year?