• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

blackbart22

pilot
When I was a NAVCAD going through advanced training at ATU-301 (AD-6s) in Corpus, middies would occasionally show up on base for orientation flights with the VP guys. They decided that since the gold chin strap on their combination caps was wider than ours ( 3/8 in vs 1/4 in) that we should salute them. Coming back from chow we met a group of middies, and since we didn't salute, they stopped us to correct us. One of my roommates replyed " Oh, Sir, I'd love to salute you, but I had two divebombing hops today and my right arm is fatigued from all of those 5 G pullouts." The middie said " They let you guys fly ADs?" My roommate responded with "Let us? It's our job, man." and laughed. Didn't have any more trouble with middies.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My eyesight kinda sucks and I've saluted chiefs at a distance before. The device can look like a silver/gold oak leaf at a distance. It happens.

I typically looked at the cover. It is usually easier to pick it out on the cover than on the collar.

I usually look for a fat pinch in their lower lip and a black-stained white coffee mug in hand. Otherwise I'll double check their cover and if their right side is blank.... chief.

I never met a MC who disliked being called Chief. Maybe it was an inter-service penis envy contest.

Is that a generational thing? I don't know where I picked it up, but since my beginning in the Navy, I've always thought it was VERY important to address chiefs, senior chiefs (senior), and Master chiefs as such. Was that not so in your day?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
..... that not so in your day?

Actually, my first few years in the Navy there were no Senior nor Master Chief, just Chief.....

However, to continue this thread jack; Sea Story: Old friend high school was promoted to O-4 about the same time I was promoted to E-9 While congratulating each other he said that while off duty we should continue on a first name basis. I quickly agreed, replying: "Aye Aye Sir, You can call me Master and I will call you Lieutenant". It is (was) in that spirit ....

Back to the thread: I am very surprised that NAVADMIN 25/11 did not require zippers to be high and tight on Flight Suits. Perhaps just a crumb?

H60Gunner

Contributor
Is that a generational thing? I don't know where I picked it up, but since my beginning in the Navy, I've always thought it was VERY important to address chiefs, senior chiefs (senior), and Master chiefs as such. Was that not so in your day?

My day was not THAT long ago. The point I failed to make was made by The Chief and Jim123 above, it isn't proper to call a MC "Chief" but they shouldn't take personally.

S.O.B.

pilot
How about when Officers call juniors and enlisted "Mister?" I always thought it was reserved for officers or when a junior officer is addressing a senior. It seems like it's use has shifted over the years.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Nah, zipper height is already specified.

I have to have it level with nametag. Or else. :icon_tong

Really? I don't remember seeing that written in uniform regs. That was a point of contention while on deployment since us JOs kept the zipper lower than the Chiefs wanted and all the regs said was "zippers will be closed." To which a friend of my said that "will" "indicates futurity and never indicates any degree of requirement
for application of a procedure." The Chief didn't find it funny.

Lawman

None
How about when Officers call juniors and enlisted "Mister?" I always thought it was reserved for officers or when a junior officer is addressing a senior. It seems like it's use has shifted over the years.

In the Army Mister/Miss is the correct term for addressing all Warrant Officers.

However there is currently a schism out there between Warrants that absolutely jump up peoples ass about using Mr/Miss vs the standard which is to refer to them as Chief. Its pretty much an understood amongst ground Warrants that even junior enlisted will refer to you as Chief and its not a problem. Aviation I hear it all the time from both civilians that work on post as well as enlisted and officers alike. Between Warrant Officers its usually just first names though.

Flugelman

Contributor
From the Goat Locker: I worked for Admiral Sam Gravely, only one that I remember calling me MC, but then only when I was being called on the carpet, which was often!!! Otherwise it was simply "Chief" or by first name in off-duty situations. Any MC who has a problem with being called "Chief" "has a problem".

Totally agree. I never even noticed it if I was called Chief vice Senior Chief or even Senior,
which I don't remember being used that much in my time. Just don't call me "Petty Officer"...:icon_rage:icon_tong

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

According to our ettiquette and protocol officer, aka our YNC who is actually pretty well dialed in on that stuff, "Mister" is for addressing O-3 and below Naval Officers. When I've worked w/ the Army, I've also heard the Warrants refer to the non-warrant officers as "Mister."

bobbybrock

None
As a very young CW2 I made the mistake of calling a Navy CWO chief. I was flying from Tazar Hungary down to Sarajevo and he was waiting to get on the aircraft. He was kind of giving me the stink eye since I was such a young CW2. I thought I'd try and strike up a conversation. I then made the mistake of calling him "Chief". A term of respect in the Army for non flying Warrants. He didn't like it so much and gave me an OPD on what a Navy cheif was. My WO1 co-pilot then showed up in the middle of all this and addressed him the same way. The Warrant didn't find it as funny as I did. For all I knew he was the same ranlk as me. I wasn't familar with the blue dot gold/silver bar way the navy did things. I recall him having a gold bar with dots.
By the way does anyone know if the Navy is using the two-piece Dri-fire flight suit in any community?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

By the way does anyone know if the Navy is using the two-piece Dri-fire flight suit in any community?

Can't speak for the Fleet, but it is being used in the test world. Not really a fan myself, but some guys were liking it.

Lawman

None
As a very young CW2 I made the mistake of calling a Navy CWO chief. I was flying from Tazar Hungary down to Sarajevo and he was waiting to get on the aircraft. He was kind of giving me the stink eye since I was such a young CW2. I thought I'd try and strike up a conversation. I then made the mistake of calling him "Chief". A term of respect in the Army for non flying Warrants. He didn't like it so much and gave me an OPD on what a Navy cheif was. My WO1 co-pilot then showed up in the middle of all this and addressed him the same way. The Warrant didn't find it as funny as I did. For all I knew he was the same ranlk as me. I wasn't familar with the blue dot gold/silver bar way the navy did things. I recall him having a gold bar with dots.

My Girlfriends father (Active duty Air Force Chief Master Sergent) has said even after he retires, there is no way in hell he is calling me chief in or out of uniform.

Of course they dont even know what to call a Warrant Officer 99% of the time. Going to a hospital on an Air Force base is probably about as interesting for me as for any Enlisted Sailor when the poor A1C is looking at the Rank abbreviation and trying to figure out what the hell to call it.

Lawman

None
Can't speak for the Fleet, but it is being used in the test world. Not really a fan myself, but some guys were liking it.

It may not look as Hollywood, but its far easier to take a crap in a two piece.