• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anisocoria and you!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Hey guys,

Quick background: I had PRK in May '08; Pro-Rec in Nov '08 for SNA; Presently have 20/15 (almost 20/10). Here comes the question...my recruiter here in Arizona and another officer recruiter on the east coast (friend of a friend) both told me not to worry about the condition that I have in my eyes called Anisocoria (difference in pupil size). Both recruiters checked into it before my PRK and said they couldn't find anything that would disqualify me. I've searched on here and found nothing about it. All of the eye doctors I've ever been to (including the PRK docs) have said it's no big deal. MEPS didn't even notice (though that isn't saying much).

That said, I don't want any surprises. Does anybody else have this in their eyes (apparently it occurs is 20% of the population)? Better yet, has anybody been through a Navy flight physical and been told it's irrelevant?

Thanks for the info!

Logan

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
151346660_4caece65ce.jpg

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Wow, okay. That's disturbing. Mine is very minor and nobody notices unless I mention something (except the eye docs). Anyhow...it'd be great to get some feedback on my questions.

MasterBates

I don't know about how a minor case affects flying, but my ex wife's wicked migranes was traced to Anisocoria. I think the explanation was the different light levels coming in from each side caused it. Her case was pretty bad like the pic above and was from an eye surgery that had complications. (yay Navy medicine)

Whether NOMI gives a shit, I don't know.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
If you call the physical standards people, listed on the waiver guide, they can give you better gouge. I can't see why it would be a problem.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, that's a good suggestion feddoc, thanks I'll give them a call.

Sorry to hear that your wife had such a problem with it MasterBates...or...uh...do we not care because she's the ex-wife now? Hmm

MasterBates

I don't really care. I was just stating a problem I saw cause by it. But her's was pretty bad. And made it REALLY hard to look her in the eyes until they fixed the problem a bit.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, I've checked into this and got in touch with an HM3(FMF) who is a Physical Qualifications Tech. at NAMI. Just in case anybody comes on AW in the future and is looking for an answer to this, here is the answer I received after asking:

Sir,
As far as I know you should be fine. As long as your vision is not in
anyway affected by this condition you should be able to receive fligh
status. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me
anytime. Have a great day and good luck with everything.

[Signature Withheld]

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
That's good to hear. I was hit just above my orbital bone by a baseball when I was 13 or 14 and have had slightly different-sized pupils ever since. I wonder if this is categorized as anisocoria? My eye doctor prescribed some eyedrops, but I'm not sure I followed the regiment correctly, hence the small difference in pupil size.

And HAL Pilot, that is f*cked up... dear Lord I hope I never have to look into those eyes. Seeing mine in the mirror is enough!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I don't know. I would assume that any difference in pupil size would be called anisocoria...but I'm just a dumb engineer. What did the Navy think about the baseball story?