• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Android Phone Application

chefmike

Hey guys/gals I am trying to come up with a "must have" application that i could write for the military. I am looking for ideas that you may have said to yourself.
"damn I wish i had that app" or "I wish my phone had that" I am initially going to write this for the Android based phones for the main reason that there is more than A*T as a provider and it has currently a faster growth curve than the *phone in new users and app sales. I want ideas that will benefit the folks in uniform and 10% of the profits will go to the USO. My favorite military service organization.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For not too serious apps, maybe

JO Bitch Session (Why does the front office like so-in-so, he's an idiot!/Why did our flight hours get cut short?/Why is our squadron the only one whose SDO wears khakis?/I used to work for so-in-so when he was my department head, what an idiot!/Mandatory FOD walkdown participation?!?)

JO Excuse Generator (You just missed him, I think he's down the hall./I think he flew late last night./I heard he's on leave./He's at the gym./I think he's over at the simulator building./I think he went to PSD./I'm waiting for the wing/ship/other squadron to get back to me on that one./I couldn't find the instruction.)

:)

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
As I think about this, its going to be somewhat challenging to come up with stuff that is handy for US use but not so handy that guys can't give it up when they deploy. Rules for contingency ops are no personal cell phones. Granted I carried my cell phone with me on my deployment last summer (Iraq/Syrian border) anyhow, but I had the battery out of it after we were feet wet heading east (logistics of deploying as a reservist from a location not your home base made it necessary to hang onto it - separate issue). I also was issued an Iridium phone with discretion to use whenever I wanted, to include personal calls home (it was considered a backup method of communication when we went out on patrol).

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Any weather APPs that are specifically Aviation weather related are good. Blackberry and Garmin Pilot weather are great.

McBuff

Sees the light
I'm still waiting for a sky-vector type flight planning app especially since skyvector doesn't work well with the android browser. An E6B-esque calculator function would also be nice especially if the user can enter and save basic performance data for their aircraft. If you could pre-load data for some of the mil aircraft flown around CONUS (ahem...CNATRA), even better. It doesn't have to be precise but it would be nice to take 5 minutes on the phone to see if I can get there and how long it will take.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I'll second the skyvector type app. Or an app with quick references to places with contract fuel?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
maybe an app for BAH rates, perdiem rates and the like. Maybe basic pay charts for that year.