• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anchors Aweigh

STLEngineer

pilot
Anyone know where I can find Anchors Aweigh with vocals?

I googled everything I could and only came up with the orchestral version.

I feel like I should at least know the words before OCS, and it's easier for me to learn knowing how it matches with the tune.

Thanks!

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Anchors Aweigh has been modified over the years about many times as the old Soviet national anthem.

Here's two of the original versus, written in 1906:

Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky.
We'll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll up the score, Navy, Anchors Aweigh.
Sail Navy down the field and sink the Army, sink the Army Grey.

Get underway, Navy, Decks cleared for the fray,
We'll hoist true Navy Blue So Army down your Grey-y-y-y.
Full speed ahead, Navy; Army heave to,
Furl Black and Grey and Gold and hoist the Navy, hoist the Navy Blue

According to Wikipedia, it was written by a Navy bandmaster and Midshipman for the class of 1907. And slowly transmorgafied into the Navy's unofficial hymn? (I thought it was official, however the Wikipedia entry says as of 2004 it is still unofficail.)

The third verse was added in 1926 by MIDN Royal Lovell:

Blue of the Seven Seas; Gold of God's great sun
Let these our colors be Till all of time be done-n-n-ne,
By Severn shore we learn Navy's stern call:
Faith, courage, service true With honor over, honor over all.

It was slightly rewritten to be more respective of the Navy, instead of being Boat Skool centric. So, the whole thing as it stands, now according to Wiki, unofficial and all is:

Verse 1

Stand Navy out to sea
Fight our battle cry:
We'll never change our course
So vicious foes steer shy-y-y-y
Roll out the T. N. T.
Anchors Aweigh
Sail on to victory
And sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray!

Bridge

Yo ho there shipmate
Take the fighting to the far off seas
Yo ho there messmate
Hear the wailing of the wild banshees
All hands, fire brands
Let's Blast them as we go. So

Verse 2

Anchors Aweigh my boys
Anchors Aweigh
Farewell to college joys (or "Farewell to foreign shores")
We sail at break of day day day day
Through our last night ashore
Drink to the foam
Until we meet once more
Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Bridge

Heave a ho there sailor
Everybody drink up while you may
Heave a ho there sailor
For your gonna sail at break of day
Drink away, Drink away,
For you sail at break of day, Hey!

Verse 3

Blue of the Mighty Deep
Gold of God’s Sun
Let these our colors be
Till all time be done
On seven seas we learn
Navy’s stern call
Faith, Courage, Service True
With Honor, Over Honor, Over All.

Hope that helps. I have a couple of versions of it shoot me a PM or email me and I will see what I can do to get it to you.

STLEngineer

pilot
No mp3s with the whole lyrics? I've really only heard the "Anchors aweigh my boys..." part actually sung. Is the rest actually sung?

VGULIN

you can buy a copy on itunes but the people singing it are super corny (mormon tabernacle choir, pat boone, and the like)

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
According to Wikipedia, it was written by a Navy bandmaster and Midshipman for the class of 1907. And slowly transmorgafied into the Navy's unofficial hymn? (I thought it was official, however the Wikipedia entry says as of 2004 it is still unofficail.)

I'm pretty sure the "Official Navy Hymn" is "Eternal Father"...

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/eternal.html

I have it in mp3 somewhere... and it is quite beautiful, but very... choir-like. And very "Christian"... guess that hails back to the foundation of our (or the British) Naval Customs.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
"Oh hear us when we we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea."

It is very beautiful, Mormon Tabernacle does a great version of it with orchestra and all. Ironicly that was sung during the Titanic's church services the Sunday she hit an iceberg.

The best version of Anchors Aweigh that I have heard, was in "Down Periscope". I have tried to find a copy of it but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
The best version of Anchors Aweigh that I have heard, was in "Down Periscope". I have tried to find a copy of it but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

That was my first thought.

P.S. I hear that movie is largely based upon facts and accurately depicts life on a sub.

(can you smell the sarcasm yet?)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
"Oh hear us when we we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea."

It is very beautiful, Mormon Tabernacle does a great version of it with orchestra and all. Ironicly that was sung during the Titanic's church services the Sunday she hit an iceberg.

I'm sure you know this Jolly Roger, but for everyone else... Just to clarify the lyrics that you posted come from Eternal Father not Anchors Away.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
I'm sure you know this Jolly Roger, but for everyone else... Just to clarify the lyrics that you posted come from Eternal Father not Anchors Away.

I do. I should have been a little more clear in my post. Thanks for the assist.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
That was my first thought.

P.S. I hear that movie is largely based upon facts and accurately depicts life on a sub.

(can you smell the sarcasm yet?)

You know, strangely I have heard the same thing.

Back to Anchors Aweigh, in the credits it says that version was performed by the USC band and male choir. Maybe get of the USC music department, I am sure they have a copy floating around somewhere.