• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anatomy of a Tragedy: Air France 447

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
exhelodrvr said:
We didn't need no stinking 80 knot check!!

Because you're at Vne by then?

Does your air speed indicator read 0? OK, mine, too!

Hehehe...

lots of shaking + barely hear each other yell = Vne - 5kts
lots of shaking + lots of noise = Vne - 10kts
everything else = meh (especially if you're flying through a P-3 traffic pattern)

... simple! :)

You just gotta make sure neither one of you puts his earplugs in too deep or the noise part won't be calibrated... but that's on preflight.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have advanced the throttles, while initially forgetting to retract the non-automatically-retracting 'boards', both in the sim and aircraft.

Funny you bring this up...

In the E-6, on the rare occasion you refuse a landing and make it a touch-n-go vice a full stop, we were required to advance the throttles first so the engines wouldn't revert to ground idle (4 sec weight on wheels). The spool up time from ground idle would cause you to roll off the end of the runway short of rotate speed. Stowing the boards got you instant lift so they were second in this situation only. Conversely, if a pilot took to long easing the nose down on a touch-n-go, and the engines had time to spool down to ground idle, you were forced to abort.

...and for the Monday morning quaterbacks/ people scratching their heads...

This was taught to IPs to help you battle the 3p/2p screwups if a touch-n-go was desired but they tried to initiate a full stop out of habit.

yodaears

pilot
Interesting. A pitot static failure seemed to me like one of those emergencies that always happened to the other guy, until it didn't. Kingsville to El Paso, I'm -2 with an IP in the back. Lead has a stud up front, IP in the back as well. Leave krock in the late evening, uneventful climb to FL280 in combat spread. I notice that my altimeter is showing us 1500 ft low about an hour into the trip; we are closer to ELP by this time. Point it out to the IP and he asks lead "what gives?" Lead tells us that he shows us at FL280, imn about .8 or so. We ask ATC for a radar hit and sure enough it's us with a bad system. Execute proper NATOPS, can't get it back. Long story short, had to shoot a section approach through the weather at night into ELP. Altimeter showed us 6000 ft low on deck and the airspeed had failed to 0. The scary part about it was the way it failed. Very gradual. Had we been a single we probably wouldn't have noticed until center said something or we noticed our power setting be abnormally high. Great experience in hindsight. Can't imagine having that problem over the Atlantic.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Did any one else pick up on the "loophole" the pilot used to depart - by entering Bordeaux instead of Paris in the flight computer as the final destination so as to be able to take off without the legally mandated planned reserve? Not a good sign for the professionalism of the pilot.
Without getting into the specifics of the flight -- it might have been a 'short release' ... happens all the time when flyin' the 'big water' ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fair enough, but "loophole" was exactly how the article described it and didn't portray it to be common or proper practice.
The article was written by a correspondent -- one Gerald Traufetter. He doesn't have a fucking clue how to dispatch an international flight over the 'pond' from point 'A' to 'B' ... and not an international experienced pilot, I am sure ...

BIG DIFFERENCE.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The human factors and automation part of this story....My prof wasn't too happy with me that my position on the spoilers was that while sure, it was a dicked up design feature, the pilots really should have known that was how their airplane worked...
Your 'prof' is a theoretician ... not an operator. As such, he's clueless ...

If it can 'work' ... it can fail ...

If you can 'do it right' ... you can do it wrong ...

Anyone can be a Blue Angel or a plumber ... just depends on what day of the week it is ...

ALWAYS keep your head on a swivel & cover your '6' ...

Some things don't change ...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Wow, just watched the Nova program on AF 447 (streaming on NetFlix). Well done show -- as well as a news outlet could do hiring it's own investigators to double-check and reinterpret the data that the French accident investigation has provided (and adding in some of their own evidence).

Highly recommend watching it if you have a NetFlix account.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know if this is a NOVA repeat, or gives new information on the flight 447 tragedy.

But it's on tomorrow, Feb 16.

LINK