• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An Introduction

MPGruntWnnaB

I wasn't sure where to post this, was a toss up between here and the NROTC forum but this is more or less a little introduction of myself and what the hell I am doing here...

First off this isn't my first time here, I tried resurrecting JoshuaJWallace handle but found it more or less dead in the water as I believe the email address I registered it under is none existent or something along those lines.

At that point (several years ago) I was a HS senior, was looking into and had begun a NROTC scholarship Marine Option and was looking to go to Norwich University in Vermont. I ended up not finishing the scholarship run, second guessed it and found myself getting talked out of the Marine Corps and joined the Army Reserve, go figure....

At this point I have been in 3 1/2 + years joined when I was 17, DEP as a 31B Military Police. I have been mobilized for active service for OIF and have found myself mulling over plans for my future service to this great country. I've gotten in contact with the colleges I am looking to get into, namely the University of Pennsylvania and hopefully will be able to fill out the paperwork for the NROTC / Marine Option Scholarship. I've always wanted to be a Marine and being a pilot would never hurt either. I failed myself by second guessing what I wanted, not that I regret my time with the Army, its been a hell of a ride and the next year will be very interesting. I figured I had always popped back on and off this site checking up on the latest and I figured I would pool some information and possibly get a commission and an education out of the deal.

Feel free of course to move this around, I figured I would let you gentlemen / women know who I was and if you need any verification of anything - let me know.

Out

vetteboyva

Hey,

I'm in the Army National Guard, and I finish my contract in September. I currently go to Virginia Tech and will be graduating in 2010. I wanted to shoot you a reply and ask why you are planning on going NROTC. If you are currently in the reserves, if you signed a 4 year contract you are about to loose your college financial assistance, if you signed six like me you'll probably get deployed again before you are finished. If you are seriously considering going Marines, why don't you look into the PLC program? After your first summer they pay you a monthly stipend, and a hefty amount of your tuition, and the only obligation while in school is during the summer, versus the year round obligation of ROTC. I just submitted a conditional release form to my unit to release me upon successful completion of OCS, and once they sign that I'm good to go with leaving the army. Anyways, just some thoughts :)

MPGruntWnnaB

I want the whole experience you know what I mean? No I got the 6x2 contract - bad move. I definitely wasn't thinking and I;d much rather be active duty serving if you know what I mean. The current SOP on moving out Reserve units is just lackluster to say the least if you catch my drift.

I figure go big and see what you get ya know what I mean? I'm tired of adjusting my life for stuff and people a lesson I regrettably learned late and am now trying to rectify...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Most people can't afford Penn on PLC. Good choice of schools, though. Go Fighting Quakers!

flopper

Hey, I had a similar situation as yourself. I signed up in the Army guard right out of high school to be an X-ray tech. I had always known that I wanted to be a pilot in the military but I joined anyways. I did 3 years on the army side and then I looked into the air force and rotc trying to get a pilot slot that way so I requested a dd 368 to transfer to the air guard. I hadn't really given much thought on the navy side of flying but when I stumbled upon the BDCP program, I knew I had to at least try. So I did the whole conditional release process yet again after only being in the air guard for a year and here I am, set to graduate 2010 with a pilot slot in BDCP and working full time making close to 30 dollars and hour with my skill from the Army. You did not make the wrong choice by joining the Army, in fact you made the best choice possible by enlisting and getting your pay entry basic date PEBD which will affect your pay dramatically and you will never lose. Also, every drill weekend is 2 points towards retirement, I know it sounds small but it all adds up in the end. Just make the best of your situation and don't give up on the pursuit of your dream. If things that are beyond your control get in the way (ie health); you can always say you did everything humanly possibly to achieve your dream, anything less and you are cheating yourself.

MPGruntWnnaB

Thank-you guys for the welcome back and the advice / ideas.... I really do appreciate it.

So there I was, now sitting on my bunk at the Good Old Fort Dix... I am going to see if I can get hooked up with a NROTC scholarship, I got in contact with a Marine Corps Officer selector 'sir' heh.

Yea, I don't regret any of my service, Military Police these days are getting some pretty kick ass stuff and jobs... We're going to busy thats for sure. I figured I could let you guys know how it is on the ground over there when/if there is net plus keep tabs on how the Marine Corps / Navy pilot side is doing since I will be pushing for it when I return... I just figured: Self- Why don't you freaking do what you want to do and have always wanted to do... EPIPHANY...

lol as I was...

Again thanks guys.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Thank-you guys for the welcome back and the advice / ideas.... I really do appreciate it.

So there I was, now sitting on my bunk at the Good Old Fort Dix... I am going to see if I can get hooked up with a NROTC scholarship, I got in contact with a Marine Corps Officer selector 'sir' heh.

Yea, I don't regret any of my service, Military Police these days are getting some pretty kick ass stuff and jobs... We're going to busy thats for sure. I figured I could let you guys know how it is on the ground over there when/if there is net plus keep tabs on how the Marine Corps / Navy pilot side is doing since I will be pushing for it when I return... I just figured: Self- Why don't you freaking do what you want to do and have always wanted to do... EPIPHANY...

lol as I was...

Again thanks guys.

actually, i found myself that it wasn't even necessary to find the NROTC scholarship coordinator. if you start to work on an application at:
https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/application/default.cfm
he (or she) will find you.

(by the way, the application is not there yet. for some reason, this year it seems they are late in starting to take apps for the fall 2009)

MPGruntWnnaB

Thank-you... yea I actually began when I was a Junior applying, stupid reasons for not going through with it... so we shall see right, shoot for the stars and maybe hit the moon?

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
If you decide to go the PLC route, they most likely will not call you into active service. Technically you're in the IRR, however they make provisions not to call you up. In addition to this, the College Loan Repayment Program has just been approved for fiscal years '08 and '09. The Marine Corps repays 1/3 of your outstanding dept for every year of service you give them. Check with an OSO to verify this information.

I like PLC because it allows me to maintain a relatively normal college lifestyle of studying, women, and beer....Or studying women and beer...depending on how you punctuate that haha. At the same time, I'm working towards my commission.

-Matt