• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo matters, who knew.....

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I started with a similar (but used) RCBS setup. It was originally bought in the early 80s, as a testament to the brand's quality. Your bench looks good and sturdy. *Now*... sprinkle some spent primers on the floor to dig into your feet when you walk through, dump some CLP on the carpet to piss your wife off, and steal all of her good tupperware for organizing your bullets and brass... and you've got a real reloading bench. :D

H60Gunner

Contributor
That will work Bevo. I have a Dillon 550 in a box in the garage..... Do you have a tumbler? I have that exact same beam scale and finally bought an electronic after I tired of farking around with the little weights. Regardless, you are pretty much set up, so have fun it (reloading) will suck you in!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
That will work Bevo. I have a Dillon 550 in a box in the garage..... Do you have a tumbler? I have that exact same beam scale and finally bought an electronic after I tired of farking around with the little weights. Regardless, you are pretty much set up, so have fun it (reloading) will suck you in!

I actually just bought a Dillon 550B. I need to get my hands on a scale and tumbler. Y'all have any good sources for supplies (bullets, primers, brass, etc)?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Y'all have any good sources for supplies (bullets, primers, brass, etc)?

I use Graf and sons (http://www.grafs.com/) quite a bit but I usually only order about once a year anymore. I'm pretty set on stuff after 30 years of reloading. ;) It's a great hobby that all shooters should consider. If you're interested in match shooting make sure you get the Sinclair catalog. http://www.sinclairintl.com/

cabinent-1.jpg

cabinent.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, stupid reloading question. What do those of you with a stockpile do with it when you PCS? I mean powder, primers, etc.

Bevo16

pilot
The tumbler is next on my list. My neighbor has one and is letting me use it until I get one.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
OK, stupid reloading question. What do those of you with a stockpile do with it when you PCS? I mean powder, primers, etc.

I've always boxed it up and moved it. The powder stays in the original plastic jugs, all of which are put into a big rubbermaid tub. The primers are stacked into a box. I've got a ton of old ammo cans that loaded rounds are stored in, and the brass and lead are in 5 gallon buckets. Hell, my reloading bench is set up in my storage unit right now. :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The tumbler is next on my list.

I rarely tumble my rifle brass anymore. When I'm measuring and trimming they get a quick swirl with a scotchbright pad and that works fine.

Your next purchase should be a chronograph! They are cheap and very eye opening and the ONLY reliable way to tell if you are getting towards a max load and velocity deviations are good indicators of your load quality and procedures. This is what I use and it's worked fine for $135 http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/8051/s you'll need to spend about $50 more for decent tripod.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I rarely tumble my rifle brass anymore. When I'm measuring and trimming they get a quick swirl with a scotchbright pad and that works fine.

Your next purchase should be a chronograph! They are cheap and very eye opening and the ONLY reliable way to tell if you are getting towards a max load and velocity deviations are good indicators of your load quality and procedures. This is what I use and it's worked fine for $135 http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/8051/s you'll need to spend about $50 more for decent tripod.

+1

Chronoing is the only way to see the differences in your loads. Ideally, getting the standard deviation of the velocities as low as possible will give the most consistent groups. Also, max velocities don't always equate to the most accurate loads.

H60Gunner

Contributor
+1

Chronoing is the only way to see the differences in your loads. Ideally, getting the standard deviation of the velocities as low as possible will give the most consistent groups. Also, max velocities don't always equate to the most accurate loads.

Roger that. I HAD one until I shot it. If you buy one, try to go with the remote sky screen. If you shoot the screen or tripod you still have the chrony...... Also, you will learn that factory loads rarely, if ever travel as fast as advertised.