• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo Cans?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Does anyone know where surplus ammunition cans can be had for cheap in the Hampton Roads area? My ammunition 'stockpile' is starting to get quite large, and I need a place to put all of this stuff. I've found quite a few sources on the internet, but shipping is prohibitively expensive. Thanks!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What R1 said. I would just go talk to my AOs at my last squadron...or the crewman when I knew they were shooting, but I know that's not an option for you. They'll probably give you some business about the NALC and lot numbers needing to be painted over before they can give it to you. That's not really true (or at least not for the reason they claim), but just roll with it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Short of R1's suggested (best idea), you could try the surplus store on Shore Drive about a mile or two east of Little Creek. They sell all kinds of military/police/moto wannabe gear. It's been a few years since I lived in Hampton Roads, so I can't remember much more than that.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know where surplus ammunition cans can be had for cheap in the Hampton Roads area? My ammunition 'stockpile' is starting to get quite large, and I need a place to put all of this stuff. I've found quite a few sources on the internet, but shipping is prohibitively expensive. Thanks!

If you're in Hampton Roads talk to the SEALs, SWCC or EOD folks. They will shoot kore often than squadrons, so they should be able to get hands on empty boxes sooner.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're in Hampton Roads talk to the SEALs, SWCC or EOD folks. They will shoot kore often than squadrons, so they should be able to get hands on empty boxes sooner.

Actually, that might be a better idea. I was thinking .50 cal and 7.62, which we would shoot several times a week, but C420's ordnance requires a little bit bigger ammo can.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm not terribly concerned about the size. It's really just for long term storage in my basement, which is cool but musty and humid. The plan is to throw the loose ammo in the cans with a bunch of silica packets and call it good.

Does 20mm even come in sealed cans? I should probably know this. I should probably spend a little more time talking to the AOs.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Swapmeets and flea markets are usually a good place to look. Normally a lot cheaper than surplus stores

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does 20mm even come in sealed cans? I should probably know this. I should probably spend a little more time talking to the AOs.

It does, and if you have a crapton of ammo to store, the bigger size may be up your alley.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I usually pick mine up at local gun shows when I see them. I mostly use 7.62 and 50 cal ammo cans although I have one 60mm mortar can I keep stuff in. The 50 cal cans can get a bit heavy when filled up with ammo. 20 mm cans would pretty damn heavy. Too heavy for this old guy anyway.

If you can still find any South African 5.56 in tubs (packed in battle packs) or maybe just the tubs they are great for long term storage. I still have a couple of these put away for a rainy day.

Battle packs.jpg

2700 Rounds.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'm not terribly concerned about the size.

Not even going to say it...

I tend to get mine from Cabelas...sounds odd but their bulk ammo is often a pretty good buy...so much so that if you were to buy a can and the brass you'd usually end up right around the cost of the loaded ammo and can...

For Example:
9mm brass typically runs around $19/hundred x5 = $95
ammo can for $10 plus 15 dollars shipping= 25$

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Bulk-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/106633080/Federal-American-Eagle-9mm-Ammunition-with-Ammo-Can/1214769.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shooting-ammunition-bulk-ammunition/_/N-1104709/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_106633080?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104691780&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104691780;cat106633080

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
See if you can get your hands on the 1500 round 7.62 cans, those things are pretty dang big.