• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

America's Best Kept Secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M.Gray

The U. S. Merchant Marine Academy (www.USMMA.edu), in Kings Point, NY, offers Batchelor of Science degrees in 6 areas, 3 in engineering with a license to sail as a Third Assistant Engineer on steam or motor vessels of unlimited tonnage, on any ocean or in 3 areas of marine transportation with a license to sail as a Third Mate of vessels of unlimited tonnage on any ocean.
Kings Point graduates are highly prized by all branches of the armed forces. Every year about one third of the graduating class goes on active duty. This year all 15 SNA and one SNFO candidates were sent to P'Cola. Others went to intel and SWO. Others joined the Marine Corps, the Air Force and the Coast Guard. Most years a few join the Army, but none did in '02.
The anonymity of the school means that the competition for entry is not as stiff as at other academies. The payback, however is a very demanding program including one year spent on merchant ships at sea. And there are no easy majors: no English or history or psychology.
All you young Naval Academy wannabies should check out KP as a back-up. Or as a first choice. My son has no regrets he went there and is now at P' Cola.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I'll second that. I went to USNA and did not even think about USMMA. Since then I have run into several grads and all have enjoyed the experience. The best thing is even if you don't go active duty, all you owe is a few years in the reserves for a free education. The 3rd Mates liscense is highly sought after and key for gaining employment in the shipping bussiness (very lucrative saleries).
ghost

MURdragon

EVILLLL, it is the best kept secret, and now its out. Merchant Marine is my first choice right now over the Naval Academy. it leads to the same point, but also if i find out that i dont want the Navy, i have a choice to go into civilian life immediately. lol i just found this board today and it has opened my eyes. now i must remain quite on the details of getting in, only 270 get in a year, and there are only 2 ways to get nominated Senator or Congressman/woman. Its near the end of my junior year and im prepping all my college stuff right now.

USMMAMid03

MURdragon
Good luck!! If you have any questions hit me up. There are 16 of us going NavyAir this year. In past years they have accepted #'s in the 20's and the Academy usually did not fill all of the slots available so you should have a good chance if things stay the same.

The great aspect about Kings Point, besides that it is free, is going out to sea for a year! Not many people have traveled around world and stopped at great places along the way by the time they are 21. Good luck and I am sure i can field any questions you have relating to the Academy.

Jake

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
what about the SUNY Maritime? i hear that that place offers good education. also, many east-side states pay instate tuition as well.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went to Kings Point. Went on active duty upon graduating and immediately reported to flight school. I've been an NFO since 1987 and flying Tomcats my whole career. Now I teach at the US Naval Academy. So I've seen both sides of the coin. Either school is great.
Cheers.
VT-10, VT-86, VF-124, VF-114, COMFITWINGPAC, VF-124/101 Det Miramar, VF-11/31, CVW-14, CVN-74, VF-211

T.M.Gray

MURdragon,
How's the application process going? Drop me an email if you have any questions or problems. Good luck to you.

bigspy007

I just got the app for USMMA, and was wondering if anyone had any info that might help my chances of getting in.
Also it says that you have got to apply to go active duty if you want to, which i do....and was wondering if everyone who apply for active duty gets it, or they turn some people down, also if you know going in that you want to go Navy can you go on summer cruises.
thanks for any respones
Fish

JWallAvionic

Alright this sounds indeed interesting, as I have never heard of this school, so let me run this buy you all real quick as this is my first post here ad well.

One: It is like the USNA, need the appointments, rigorous, tough to get in.

Two: You can go active in any of the services.

Three: One would be able to go into Aviation, particularly Marine Aviation.

Well basically, I am a 16 year old, Junior in High School, I just applied to the summer seminar at the Naval Academy, decent grades, three sports, all that jazz coach baseball. My dream 'goal' is to go to a service academy and become a Marine, then hopefully gain a flight slot out of college. Main question is, would the USMMA be able to give me that?

Thanks for your time, these boards are a great help.

^^^^^^^^^^
Joshua Wallace
Joshua.Wallace@comcast.net

jthorp

T.M. Gray,
thanks for posting this secret! As we don't have kids yet, I guess it's a little early for me to be concerned about where they will go to college. . but I do think about it, trying to get good ideas to guide them anyway possible, doing the g.i. bill, and such.
graduate_125.gif

How did your son find out about it?

When we have kids, we may have to take a little vacation to Kings Point
eyebrows_125.gif
. I've heard from Naval Academy grads who said they wouldn't have even thought to go there except they happened to go to Annapolis on vacation with their family.

Status
Not open for further replies.