• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

American Trafalgar: Midway 70th Anniversary

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You can thank the Navy's Bureau of Ordnance for that, they refused to listen to the submariners who claimed that the torps were screwed up for a long time and basically called them liars and incompetents. Here is a good summary of the convoluted saga of trying to fix American torpedoes in WWII.

You know us bubbleheads...shifty and not to be trusted...just look at these scum! Amazing American warriors!!

u505capture.jpg

The basis for U-571...
shoulders4.jpg

The "business end"...

Little known Silent Service fact...The USS Cuttlefish was the first positive contact report with the Japanese fleet, reporting a Japanese tanker at 0700 on June 4th, two hours before the PBY's made contact with the main body.

Conversation between Admiral Lockwood (SubPAC) and then CDR Eugene Fluckey...

(With a frown)
"How do you feel about taking Barb out on patrol tomorrow Skipper" (Thus giving Fluckey command of Barb)
"We're ready in all respects sir! How many ships would you like us to sink?"
(Frown disappearing) "How many do you think you can sink Skipper?"
"Well, would five be enough Admiral?"
(Smiling now...) "Yes, five will be enough..."
"What type sir? Freighters, Destroyers, Tankers..."
"Five of any type will do Skipper...Fair winds."

With his orders in mind, Fluckey went to sea with Barb 12 hours later and sank 8 ships on Barb's 7th War Patrol.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Conversation between Admiral Lockwood (SubPAC) and then CDR Eugene Fluckey...

(With a frown)
"How do you feel about taking Barb out on patrol tomorrow Skipper" (Thus giving Fluckey command of Barb)
"We're ready in all respects sir! How many ships would you like us to sink?"
(Frown disappearing) "How many do you think you can sink Skipper?"
"Well, would five be enough Admiral?"
(Smiling now...) "Yes, five will be enough..."
"What type sir? Freighters, Destroyers, Tankers..."
"Five of any type will do Skipper...Fair winds."

With his orders in mind, Fluckey went to sea with Barb 12 hours later and sank 8 ships on Barb's 7th War Patrol.

The late RADM Eugene B. "Lucky" Fluckey, MOH...known as one of the most aggressive and respected Submarine Skippers of WWII. Fluckey & BARB became famed as "The Galloping Ghost of The China Coast"!:cool:
BzB

VMO4

My father was on CVE 60, the Guadacanal, when that pic above was taken, it got him his Presidential Unit Citation.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The late RADM Eugene B. "Lucky" Fluckey, MOH...known as one of the most aggressive and respected Submarine Skippers of WWII. Fluckey & BARB became famed as "The Galloping Ghost of The China Coast"!:cool:
BzB
MOH and 4 NCs. And no, I'm not talking bout Navy Comms.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
BzB

My Grandfather was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to serve with him. Still have (back home) Admiral Fluckey's "thank you and goodbye" note to him when he left the command...

On another note, if you haven't read Thunder Below, you are missing out on a great piece of our Naval History. The conversation I posted above is in it and is one of the two passages I recited for the crew when I pinned on my dolphins.

<<Shameless submarine threadjack out>>

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
If I wasn't 6'5 and we still had diesel boats (nothing against nuke boats per se, I just suck at math) I might be doing something very different with my career.