• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

American Fighter Pilot Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgfighter

Guys,

I know that this board is primarily for the discussion of Naval aviation. However, I wanted to mention the show AFP on CBS. As a layperson, I think the show is awesome. I was watching to get a general idea on what the training is like for 'advanced jets' to see if I had the proverbial cajones to do something like that but in a F/A-18 as opposed to the F-15 the show is featuring. So far so good. I do have a couple of questions for the forum members that are pilots and have seen the show(it comes on Fri at 8/7c). (1) How well did they show the stresses of training? (2) Is this show realistic or are they giving it to us Hollywood style? That's all I have for now.

Erin

Phiman

I also noticed that 50 go, 8 graduate statistic, but later on in the program one of the IPs stated that the attrition rate was somewhere in the region of 8-9%. Sounds like some funny math coming out of the Chair Force.

Brooklyn

Funny math is right! Anyone know of any shows due for release on naval aviation? There are a lot of documentary-type filmings going on at the moment. Tom Brokaw for one is on the Stennis at the moment filming one.

Did you guys notice CBS's use of the phrase "TOP GUN" for this AFP series? Yeah, Ok CBS!

Dave Shutter

The filmmaker is gonna throw his $0.04 in now...

If you want to do a doc' (my school was big on those) on a technical subject, fine, do it. But if you want to do a quasi-MTV reality show for the sake of attracting the 18-29 "TA" (target audience) then do something brainless like a spring break event or 4 airheads in a RV on a road trip to somewhere arguing over Frito's.

Instead of getting some insight of the requirements and work of learning to fly one of the most capable aircraft in history, in what is becoming a more and more challenging era to be a US military aviator, we're treated to a wannabe avante' garde edited piece desperately trying to resemble a retro 80's teen angst film starring a pretty blonde guy (who could be the sixth member of N'SYNC) banging his head on a hangar wall when the "goin' get's tough." Of the dozen or so Aviators going through the syllabus at the same time it's no accident they decide to focus on him?! We see pilots drinking, playing with high-tech toys, and looking sexy strutting around in their "hero suits". This may sound pretensious from one who has yet to even start ground school; but from what I've learned from those who have gone ahead of me and gotten wings, I think I've learned a little of what will be required. None of the sacrifice, hard work and long hours is shown here, just a watered down TOPGUN from Mr. Scott formated for TV. Hey, he's got bills to pay too, I quess.

For the armchair fighter pilot this is essential viewing but for me it's nothing I haven't already seen in a dozen stupid TV shows (IE: SUPERCARRIER, Penascola wings of gold) and made for video movies, a'la ICE-T and Oliver Gruner.

BTW, I posted an article I saw in a VA film pub' on a VFA aggresor SQDN Doc' I saw quite some time ago. (VFC-113?/Hornets painted like Mig's) They went to Germany and did ACM with Mig 29's and guys from VFA-106, but I've never heard of on the air yet. It was supposed to be on the Discovery channel too!?

spidrwmn

Yup, I have to agree: the show was a MAJOR let down! Not that I have any experience, but they show the guy failing the sim and then playing at the beach?! Maybe if he studied he would do a little better?? I'm not up on all the regs, but are you even allowed to have your hair dyed?

Okay, enough of my sleep deprived rambling...

- spider

Jack

Lots of tough talk and sharp cristicism for the young AF officer. It's interesting to hear so many 'arm chair' pilots giving this guy a hard time from the safety of their keyboards.

There are two or three simulator instructors here in Meridian (Matt knows who I'm talking about) who would eat every one of your lunches and bring a tear to most of your eyes as they destroyed you from the console of the simulator. And while you are able to second guess and criticize Mr Giggy from what you saw on the show just remember two things: You didn't see everything or get the whole story, you saw what the producers chose to show - and second, perhaps it would be wiser to keep your harsh criticisms to yourself until you have done something to earn some credibility within the community.

Say what you want about the guy on the show, he's flying F-15s and the majority of those bashing him in this arena are flying something produced my Microsoft.

jec

Edited by - jack on 03/31/2002 15:05:38

Dave Shutter

quote:...you saw what the producers chose to show.

My criticism starts and stops there. In my mind these guys have "the right stuff" and I'm upset we didn't get to see more of it.

wali

I have zero flying hours so I am not going to argue about the reality of the show. It just seems that Giggy was the only one having those problem thrown at him. Gregory and Love did not seem to have AB blowouts. Anyway, it does concern me that Giggy seemed to be the only one failing the academics test as well as busting two sims.
On the other subject, when they talk about "Kicking the living crap out of any MIG-29 on the planet," are they talking about a dog fight or a beyond visual range shoot out.
For anyone who has flown hornets, I know Matt Stevenson, how would you compare the F/A-18 to a MiG-29 in a close up dogfight. Given both pilots are equally experienced.
Thanks

wali

I taped the show and watched it four times already. I have noticed one scene which leads me to believe that the producer might have went back and had Giggy just recently add some comments about his performance.
We know that Giggy is a 1st. Lt, however, in one scene, he has Captain bars on his flight suit, which leads me to believe that Giggy probably did pass everything and qualified to be an Eagle Driver. Oh, I wish I was in the Eagle but oh well, too late now.
Thanks guys.

Edited by - wali on 04/01/2002 03:21:49

Gator

I just watched AFP for the first time and have to say that I'm more motivated than ever to get training started. There where a few things that I didn't like about the show, but they were minor issues.

wali

Second Episode, well not bad. Thing Giggy should drop the hook at the runway since the jet is not stopping. I, myself, did not like the Hooter's Girl part myself but then again I am conservative. Oh yeah, "The Touch of Air Sickness" is something I can relate to. Got it two years ago in an F-16CJ Viper(Wild Weasel). Doing the incentive ride with the Air Force ROTC.
Nothing beats a ride in modern fighter.

Ryanb50

quote:
I also noticed that 50 go, 8 graduate statistic, but later on in the program one of the IPs stated that the attrition rate was somewhere in the region of 8-9%. Sounds like some funny math coming out of the Chair Force.

haha, chair force. Good one.

vballindaytona

ya michael, i found that funny too. not to mention the guy said he had 4 seconds to figure out their fate or however he put it.

i also love the fact that that blonde kid mentioned he got his bike for the whole top gun image. hahahahhahahhaha

jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.