• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Amazing find in a barn: FM-2 Wildcat..and it can be yours for > $100K

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just as amazing that it showed up on eBay: FM-2 Wildcat for sale

!B3B2d9Q!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!j!E)sBeRiMnBMkrzG,UTg~~_35.JPG

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yea I won that bid. Forgot to tell you guys. :D

No, but seriously that's not a bad find at all. Hell I wish I could just find some old car or something in a barn.

yak52driver

Contributor
AT least on the surface, that aircraft is incredible shape. Hard to tell what corrosion is like from the picture, though. It would be great to see that fly again some day.

punx_clever

ryan1234

Interesting it supposedly has a clear title from the Navy, specifically the Naval Museum, usually they're a huge asspain to deal with. "Found" in a "barn" with a clear title... yeah... ok.... wonder why the barn BS?

badger16

None
I remember driving with my dad one day a few years ago and passing by an old F-9F Panther. It was in really bad shape (top of the tail was gone and the wings were missing from pretty much the root.) and the paint was all worn off, but it was still amazing to walk around it and just imagine the stories it could share...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If I had the time and money, that would be a sweet project. I'd paint in this scheme:

fm2_elliott_ralph_jr_right_side_profile.jpg

The Navy's leading FM-2 ace, and thus Wildcat ace, Ralph E. Elliot of VC-27 with 9 kills.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember driving with my dad one day a few years ago and passing by an old F-9F Panther. It was in really bad shape (top of the tail was gone and the wings were missing from pretty much the root.) and the paint was all worn off, but it was still amazing to walk around it and just imagine the stories it could share...
These days many aircraft that are little more then an ancient pilot fart and buno number are worth restoring. The day will come real soon when someone with the bucks picks up that Panther.

yak52driver

Contributor
I've been told by people more expert than I that as long as the data tag is there, the rest of the airframe can be built from scratch and it will still be considered an original, not a replica. No matter, it would be a cool bird to rebuild and see fly.