• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I too fat right now for pilot?

Edgy

Since I have to take my ASTB, I figured I mine as well do some physical exercising as well as mental exercising. I measure between 5'10"-5'11" and weigh 215 lbs. By no means would I say I am a "small" person naturally nor am I an overweight typical wisconsinite. I ran in the summer about 3 miles twice a week, and started going to the gym again. Ironically I gained weight running, started at about 175lbs. and went up to 195 lbs. I became a little skinny, but gained ALOT of muscle mass in my legs. When school started, and I got a full time job (sitting on my a@#) I had no time to lift and run. So now I sit at this weight, still not fat, but more or less out of shape. I'm 20 and know thats sad but running sucks in the winter. I am going to force myself to start again soon :). Since the flight physical is the most demanding physical and I saw the max weight of 191 for the height I am I was wondering if I would be dqued as of right now. I know I am looking far ahead into the future, but thats what I do :icon_tong. Anyway, I know that I can certainly lose 10-15lbs. but for my frame size 191lbs. might be more than pushing it. I am still growing! The good news is that I just have to work this month and school doesn't start till Jan. 26. So I have time. Any responses are welcome?

donnyglaze

Well, I'm no expert by any means, but yes. I was just at MEPS last week for 2 days and close to 20 hours, which is awesome by the way, but the weight limit for 5'10" is 193, and 5'11" is 197. What happened to me was I went to MEPS and got my height measured and ended up being an inch shorter than I thought, and was a pound heavy. My OSO just said something about taking a body fat picture, whatever that may be.

An inch too short, what else is new...

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that if was Navy OCS, I was talking Marine Corps height weight standards. Never mind me.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I worked out with a full time job flying in the Navy and getting two masters while being married. No excuses!

Edgy

I realize that and shame on me for letting it go this far. This is why I plan on working out after today! The best way for me to tone up though is running. Then I have the problem of possibly gaining more weight:confused: which is why I am asking the question about the acceptance of weight to height ratio.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Max weight for Naval Aviation according to the FS is 245lbs. and as long as you're under that AND within H/W and/or BF standards then you are ok. However, playing the BF taping game is a dangerous gamble and I'd highly recommend that you shoot to be within weight standards for your height at all times, because different people will tape you differently and all it takes is the one shmo how F's up your measurements and lands you at 22%+ to screw up things for you royally!

MasterBates

Yep.. By the H/W charts I am usually 23% or so..

Rope-n-choke I can be anywhere from 18-26 depending on who does it.

red_ryder

None
Ironically I gained weight running, started at about 175lbs. and went up to 195 lbs. I became a little skinny, but gained ALOT of muscle mass in my legs.

What were you doing, towing tractors on your runs? You gained TWENTY pounds of leg muscle from running? Are you SURE that's what it was from?

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I'll tell you if you're fat. To help me do this, I'll need you to post the "full size" picture of your avatar with you standing next to what appear to be a couple hotties. That should help me to better answer your question.

Edgy

Lol, thanks for the responses. That pic is before I put on my "holiday" weight. I'm sure if I can get back to that I'll be fine.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
6'0 240 when I started flight school (Feb 06), same when I got winged (this past July). Like everyone said... make sure you're under the max body fat and you can pass the PRT (or PFA or whatever they call it now).

I've always been roped & choked at every single weigh in... ever... Not a huge deal. Just takes an extra few minutes out of your day.

Brett1

Banned
Naw, you are still smaller than me! This was taken at test pilot school.

Attachments

• badlands.jpg
    badlands.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 126