• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DO GUN THREADS ??? ALERT !!! Gun Thread !!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
My favorite is the Makarov 9x18:

makarov_9X18.jpg

I've been eyeing Makarovs for a while. Which one do you have? I'd like an East German.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I've been eyeing Makarovs for a while. Which one do you have? I'd like an East German.
I know your question was directed to ip586 ..... but my $20 worth:

I've held off on this ... I guess only because I don't want still ANOTHER caliber sitting in the arsenal. Lots of guys like them and they usually get satisfactory reviews. But they have always intrigued me, if for no other reason than "what did all those Commies see in this pistol for all those years?" If I got one, I, like Fly (Freudian slip?? Because I positively LOVE Fly !!! :) ) would probably go for the East German --- reviews several years back after the Wall came down and Makarovs flooded westward described the E. German Worker's Paradise product as "superior". But then, I've heard the Russian product ain't bad, either. But when you are talking Makarovs .... I guess terms such as "superior" are relative.

Lawman

None
Good gun, lots of people seem to love them like children. The main thing I warn people about with these is to watch out what kind of ammunition your using. There isnt much in the way of choices with 9x18 and most of it is extreamly corrosive in comparison with the more modern ammunitions available. Its not going to eat a hole through your gun after 20 rounds, more that some of the chemicals used in the old ammunition are like the stuff we used back in the 30's and 40's, if you dont clean it out and let it set dont be suprised when your gun starts to rust. Good shooters though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
There isnt much in the way of choices with 9x18 and most of it is extreamly corrosive in comparison with the more modern ammunitions available.

All the current Russian manufacture (Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear) are non-corrosive.

Its not going to eat a hole through your gun after 20 rounds, more that some of the chemicals used in the old ammunition are like the stuff we used back in the 30's and 40's, if you dont clean it out and let it set dont be suprised when your gun starts to rust. Good shooters though.

Corrosive ammo can be a pain, but if you clean your stuff right after use, it's not a big deal at all.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
on a related note...

My C&R arrived today. Goodbye money and hello bankruptcy

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
on a related note...

Ah, you'll love it ... it's the greatest convenience known to man that's come along since microwaves and riding lawnmowers ....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
on a related note...

Another one joins the club of More Guns, Less Money. It's worth it ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
Hey Fly, not a fan of the Desert Eagle? hehehe...me neither.

I know nothing of the Baby Eagles, but the regular Desert Eagle is nothing but overpriced, over-hyped, Hollywood sensationalized crap.

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
All the current Russian manufacture (Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear) are non-corrosive.
QUOTE]

Its more that I just cant think of the number of times some gubber comes into the range with the "5000 rounds for $100...." Ammo that was probably made some 50 years or so ago.

Oh and fly, Magnum Research 941 Jerico (Read Baby Eagle) are a very well designed pistol. They are actually one of the most lefty friendly guns around, and available with both full steel and poly frames depending on the type. They shoot very well, and are extreamly rugged due to the conditions they were designed to operate in. More: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg44-e.htm

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Fly Navy said:
Ammo that was probably made some 50 years or so ago.

hmm... My 1966 batch of .30-06 didn't have one bad round out of the whole 960. Granted... it's not quite 50 years old, but it's close.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
USGI stuff made in the past 50 years or so is good .... the foreign stuff (most of it) of the same period is problematical -- claims that it is "non-corrosive" notwithstanding.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Fly Navy said:
the regular Desert Eagle is nothing but overpriced, over-hyped, Hollywood sensationalized crap.

I concur. You can also add heavy, uncomfortable, and unbalanced.

B

Blutonski816

Fly Navy said:
I know nothing of the Baby Eagles, but the regular Desert Eagle is nothing but overpriced, over-hyped, Hollywood sensationalized crap.

I have a friend who owns a Baby Eagle in 9mm.... he's satisfied with it...

but I have to agree about the Desert Eagle... only the guys who play too much Counter-Strike would actually want to fork up the $1000+ for one... assuming they can actually handle one...