• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I Making a Mistake?

GavinMH

I'm a CMEL, CSEL, and IR rated civilian pilot. I have my CFI checkride on the 19th next month. Once I pass (hopefully) I will pursue instructing full time. I'm in the works of filling out my USMC Pilot Application which is due on April 11th. I have always has the dream of being a military aviator and being in the military in general. As a caveat I am a PSA airlines cadet and I'm currently waiting on my technical interview. Would it be a mistake to commission in the Marines and commit 8 years (really 10) to the military given the opportunities I have on the outside? I've dug through this forum to find cases like mine to no avail. Would pursing the ANG or Reserves be the best option for my case? I'm just looking for a smack in the face or the go ahead from those who have experience. I'm sure it's obvious by this thread being posted in the middle of the night, but this has been weighing on me heavily and the last thing I want to do is waste the OSO's time if this is the wrong route. I also have a promising chance with the NOAA Corps in 2024 as an aviator (seems like a really good gig) and the state police once I graduate in December.

Last edited:

wonderb0iwl

I don't know shit but the way I think about it is if you want to be a military officer first and do cool shit no one else does then apply, if you just want to fly then stick to commerical flying. But yeah if you have a lot of flying experience I'd also look into ANG, apparently that's a good gig. In the end no one can tell you what to do or give the go ahead, this is your decision.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How important is serving as a military officer/aviator to you? If it is important, do it. If not, you will be missing out on a lot of seniority if the airlines are your real goal. There has maybe never been a better time to be a freshly minted civilian aviator who wants to go to 121. That being said, the music will stop again, so have a backup plan. I don't think that your situation is particularly unique. I was a commercial/IR pilot with a few hundred hours TT when I started NROTC. But that was also shortly after 9/11, so it wasn't exactly the best time to get into the airlines, and that wasn't really my goal anyway (at the time). That being said, the guys I did civilian flight school with are relatively senior CA's at the majors now, whereas I am on year 1 FO major pay.

Sonog

pilot
I don't think there is a single aviator on this forum that has regretted his service.

Now, a nightmare scenario for you might be to leave your current program, and then not succeed and drop out? In that case you might want to pursue the OCS routes that are less risky. Don't the Marines have significantly higher rates of injuries and attrition in OCS?

I feel like if you're considering the Marines and aren't passionate about all things Marines, you're gonna have a bad time.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I don't think there is a single aviator on this forum that has regretted his service.

Now, a nightmare scenario for you might be to leave your current program, and then not succeed and drop out? In that case you might want to pursue the OCS routes that are less risky. Don't the Marines have significantly higher rates of injuries and attrition in OCS?

I feel like if you're considering the Marines and aren't passionate about all things Marines, you're gonna have a bad time.
This is my thought. If he's not 100% dedicated to being a Marine Officer first and foremost with flying as a side gig, then the Marines definitely aren't for him. If he doesn't want to fly helos, then I would assume the Marines also aren't going to be a good fit since they have limited fixed wing assets. @GavinMH, how badly do you want to be a Marine? Are you really just looking for a way to serve your country while flying? If it's the former, then continue to pursue commissioning with the OSO. If it's the latter, then look into that NOAA or an ANG/USAF Reserve billet.

VMO4

While I was not in commissioned service in my beloved Corps, I can say there where times I thought it was the worst place to be, and times I thought it was the best place to be, I have a done bunch of other things in my life, hopefully have many more things to come, but nothing will ever define who I am am or what I have done, or mean as much to me as the time I served in the gun club. The A&P who maintains my Piper Cub, still instructs as a CFI, , and is 88 years old, you have a lifetime to fly, you only have a limited time to serve in the company of brave men.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would point out that you have a lot of words like "hopeful," "potential," and "promising" in your post, you're still waiting on an interview for your airline cadet gig, and you're only in the process of applying for OCS. Yet you're agonizing over this like you actually have any choices to make at this point. All of these paths you've mentioned are solid flying gigs, and any one of them would most likely be professionally and personally satisfying. There's zero point in laying awake until the wee hours agonizing whether you should do this or that, when none of the options are as yet actually in your power to accept or decline.

My personal experience is that life tends to make some choices for you. A lot of your life will take the paths it does due to luck, timing, and chance, but keep your options open and do your best to make your own luck - hard work, research, diligence, persistence, blah blah.

Where you are in life right now, eliminating options based on "maybes" is, frankly, foolish. Do everything you can to give yourself as many options as possible. Pass that CFI check ride, go do the instructor thing if that's what does it for you. Prep for and do well at that interview. Want to apply for Marine OCS? Go ahead, and hell, look into the other services too, including the Guard. Either you aren't accepted (in which case, that choice is made for you, no?) or you are. If you're accepted for more than one option, then and only then is it worth staring at the ceiling at 0100 trying to make up your mind - and in which case, all that diligent research and hard work will only help you.

Best of luck to you.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You seem to want us to answer the question for you, but nobody here should be doing that. You need to decide what YOU want, not what a bunch of randos on the internet say you should want. We can tell you about certain aspects of our own experience, but in the end, YOU have to decide, because in 10-20 years, you certainly won't be saying "I logged into AirWarriors, and the rest was history!"

Find within yourself the fortitude to set a goal YOU are happy with, and work toward it. Be aware that your plan WILL change with your circumstances- that's a fact of life-, and be OK with that probability.

Finally, Don't be the guy in military flight school yapping about your "in" with the airlines- you'll have a bad time.

Similarly, don't be the airline pilot saying "I could have been a USMC/NOAA/whatever pilot, but..." Nobody likes that guy.

Good luck!

crt91

This. I'm prior enlisted Marine, applying for the April PLC board... I originally applied for the Navy Oct 2022 SNA/SNFO board and got the ol' Pro-Rec N, and immediately upon receiving the information I called my Marine Corps OSO. I had been in previous talks with them, but after the slaughterhouse of that board, I realized my best chance to fly is with God's beloved Corps, and I immediately flipped the Marine switch on. I've gone as far as installing a pull-up bar in my basement with galvanized steel pipe, and 3-inch lags. The Marine Corps is much more than a branch of the Department of Defense, it's a cult. I took my "No" from the Navy as a sign from the universe that "Once a Marine, always a Marine" is just a simple fact in my life. I am more than ready to drink all of the Kool-Aid, again.

Long story short, like someone else said, if you don't want to do Marine Corps "stuff," then maybe another avenue is best.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Well then join the military and be a military aviator. Duh. You won't know if it is a mistake until about the 9 year point. Go and find out.

This. Lotta good info in this (and many other) thread. Also, lotsa cool flying out there but I loved flying in the military. I know there are people who turn down mil to go commercial and can be 121 legacy captains before they are 30. I think they’re out of their mind. Plenty of time to eat Auntie Anne’s in Cleveland (yea I know the importance of seniority), go military. But only if you want to and don’t treat it as a stepping stone.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
This. I'm prior enlisted Marine, applying for the April PLC board... I originally applied for the Navy Oct 2022 SNA/SNFO board and got the ol' Pro-Rec N, and immediately upon receiving the information I called my Marine Corps OSO. I had been in previous talks with them, but after the slaughterhouse of that board, I realized my best chance to fly is with God's beloved Corps, and I immediately flipped the Marine switch on. I've gone as far as installing a pull-up bar in my basement with galvanized steel pipe, and 3-inch lags. The Marine Corps is much more than a branch of the Department of Defense, it's a cult. I took my "No" from the Navy as a sign from the universe that "Once a Marine, always a Marine" is just a simple fact in my life. I am more than ready to drink all of the Kool-Aid, again.

Long story short, like someone else said, if you don't want to do Marine Corps "stuff," then maybe another avenue is best.
Love it. Best summation I heard was “USAF is run like a company, USN and USMC like the military, and USMC like a religion.”

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm a CMEL, CSEL, and IR rated civilian pilot. I have my CFI checkride on the 19th next month. Once I pass (hopefully) I will pursue instructing full time. I'm in the works of filling out my USMC Pilot Application which is due on April 11th. I have always has the dream of being a military aviator and being in the military in general. As a caveat I am a PSA airlines cadet and I'm currently waiting on my technical interview. Would it be a mistake to commission in the Marines and commit 8 years (really 10) to the military given the opportunities I have on the outside? I've dug through this forum to find cases like mine to no avail. Would pursing the ANG or Reserves be the best option for my case? I'm just looking for a smack in the face or the go ahead from those who have experience. I'm sure it's obvious by this thread being posted in the middle of the night, but this has been weighing on me heavily and the last thing I want to do is waste the OSO's time if this is the wrong route. I also have a promising chance with the NOAA Corps in 2024 as an aviator (seems like a really good gig) and the state police once I graduate in December.
There has never been a better time to pursue AF Reserve or ANG. Apply with a Private or Commercial Pilot Certificate, a Bachelor's degree from an accredited school, pass a background and not need age waiver or health waiver and you are basically in. Tanker and Transport units are easiest right now. The rest is up to you. Passionate about being a Marine? Then be a Marine but your desire for wings will be secondary. Good luck.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Unless you’ve got a really big desire to be a Marine, you’re making a mistake. Based on what how you’re lining things up, you want to be an airline pilot. The last place you want to go to get there is Active Duty.

Go PSA and ANG/AFR combo.