• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I BDCP Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuggerat

Im definitely applying to OCS and all, but i just recently started giving BDCP a second thought and i was wondering what the goin rate is for applicants. I havent taken the ASTB or the PFT. Im just wondering if i have the qualifications of someone who they would waste their time and money on

3.2 GPA Political Science Major (concentration in world politics)
1.5 Mile Run: late 9's early 10's
Sit-Ups: around 100
Push Ups are what kill me, but ive been working on it: 40

NavyLonghorn

Unless you want to be a SEAL, I think the navy could probably care less about your PFT scores. Your GPA, your test scores, and other things you have done, are going to be /far/ more important. BDCP is competative, especially now, so get up that GPA, and hit the ASTB out of the ballpark.

NuSnake

if you want pilot, PFT is important to at least do fairly well. If you have a slack ass PFT they will probably think YOU are a slackass...just a thought.

NavyLonghorn

Somoene not being fast, or not being able to do 100 push ups doesnt make them a "slack ass." BDCP is about GPA, that is the statistic that reveals the work ethic the Navy is concerned with. OCS will make someone strong enough and fast enough. I am utterly convinced the PFT sheet is a trivial formailty, and almost completely irrelevent as long as you pass.

NuSnake

well, maybe in your district, but not in mine. My recruiter wont put an application through until the person is doing pretty well on a PFT. Most people here are going pretty well physically. Plus, this is straight from our CO's mouth at our district: If we arent in shape(read: well under 12 min 1.5 mile and a half, high PU and high SU) they will NOT send us until we are in good shape. They say that statistically, those who go to OCS only partially prepard physically are the ones who drop out first or go to GTX. So, the idea I get is that being in good shape is a key.

Oh, and BDCP is not about GPA, its about the whole person concept. Thats what the Navy looks for if I'm not mistaken. My GPA is barely a 3.0, when I got in it was lower, so I know that for a fact thats not what they focus on the most.

I can almost garuntee if you only barely pass the PFT you wont get picked up. Its not a trivial formality.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by NavyLonghorn
OCS will make someone strong enough and fast enough. I am utterly convinced the PFT sheet is a trivial formailty, and almost completely irrelevent as long as you pass.
Strong enough and fast enough for what? I’ve seen some of the product coming out of Navy OCS. They could maybe trot to the Krispy Kreme before they ran out of breath. Yeah, maybe you’ll lose some weight there, but just put it back + an extra 10 within a week.
He is right though, with officer programs, having a higher GPA is worth a lot more than not being fat - as much as it pisses me off.
To get jets, you have to be in shape, but only to the point where the ejection seat can move your ass out of the cockpit – 235lbs is the max.
No this is not everyone there, but I could only imagine the fun the DI’s had with some of the marsh mellows.

zuggerat

would a 3.2 gpa be considered competitive or on the bottom end of the stick...not that im trying to make excuses for myself or anything, im goin to be working my ass off in all departments reguardless... just wondering whats considered competitive.

NavyLonghorn

I got in with a 3.3, and they sau the minimum is 2.7. Dont know what is competative though, I think it is a board by board situation.

I just recently tried to get BDCP and I did not get professionally recomended. (Now I'm just applying for OCS, NFO) I had a 3.0 GPA, 61 ASTB, an insane amount of extra activities and good LOR's. Apparently they are being really tough lately. But, you don't even have to take the PFT before you apply to get professionally recomended... you do it after... and pretty much if you get professionally recomended, you're in unless you can't meet the physical standards or something is wrong with your health or something.

GTodd

Ok I am going to OCS for the Marines with an air contract but I just want to know what is BDCP? Sorry for the ignorance.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
GTodd, other than the fact that you get more money and it's a navy program, it's just like PLC (except there's a 13 week OCS at pensacola)

howlermonkey

GTodd, BDCP is a program that pays you as an E-3 while you go to college. You have to be a sophmore or higher to apply. You just have to keep your grades up and pass a PFT every 6 months. I'm really glad I did it. I majored in what I wanted, used the money to pay for tuition/books/housing/food, got TIME IN SERVICE as far as pay and leave were concerned, and got the pleasure of going to OCS (I loved it in hindsight. I guess they warped my fragile little mind). When I got commissioned in April I had racked up around 80 days of leave and started to get O-1 over 3 years pay in june. (the 3 year anniversary of getting picked up for BDCP)

Good luck to all those who are applying. It's a great program.

Status
Not open for further replies.