• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

alternative to PRK...natural?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Hey all,

Just curious if any other desperate souls out there had tried any natural techniques to reverse myopia? I recently bought a couple books, such as "relearning to see" and a couple others. I bought em used for a couple bucks off amazon. I figured, what the hell.. if it gets me to 20/20 it is well worth it, and if not, I wasted a couple bucks.

I am about 20/25 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left and want to ensure that I am well within limits before OCS in june.

Anyone else ever try this? It sounds stupid, but I've tried other things before that seemed impossible but worked, so I figured I'd try it. A lot of books get so-so ratings, but the books I bought seemed to have a lot of happy customers. I can imagine it would work well for 20/20-20/50 range folks, but I sincerely doubt it could reverse 20/400 vision except on rare occasions.

Anyhoo, sorry for the long post, just curious if anyone else out there tried this.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Hey all,

Just curious if any other desperate souls out there had tried any natural techniques to reverse myopia? I recently bought a couple books, such as "relearning to see" and a couple others. I bought em used for a couple bucks off amazon. I figured, what the hell.. if it gets me to 20/20 it is well worth it, and if not, I wasted a couple bucks.

I am about 20/25 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left and want to ensure that I am well within limits before OCS in june.

Anyone else ever try this? It sounds stupid, but I've tried other things before that seemed impossible but worked, so I figured I'd try it. A lot of books get so-so ratings, but the books I bought seemed to have a lot of happy customers. I can imagine it would work well for 20/20-20/50 range folks, but I sincerely doubt it could reverse 20/400 vision except on rare occasions.

Anyhoo, sorry for the long post, just curious if anyone else out there tried this.

Why not just get PRK? The author could be giving you advice that screws up your eyes even worse.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Why not just get PRK? The author could be giving you advice that screws up your eyes even worse.

I am already contracted into BDCP. The "excercises" arent really exercises. It's all relaxation techniques to release "strain" which is the premise behind this guy's interpretation of most people's myopia. He contends that PRK is just "etching" in your current prescription at the cost of reduced reading capability as you age in addition to other numerous complications and possible nightmare outcomes. I really wanted to do PRK, but I've seen a lot of websites showing some scary stuff...

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Yeah I would get it and not try the natural stuff. The thing i'm trying to figure out is how am I going to pay in full near or over 4k. Do they charge alot of interest or what?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am already contracted into BDCP. The "excercises" arent really exercises. It's all relaxation techniques to release "strain" which is the premise behind this guy's interpretation of most people's myopia. He contends that PRK is just "etching" in your current prescription at the cost of reduced reading capability as you age in addition to other numerous complications and possible nightmare outcomes. I really wanted to do PRK, but I've seen a lot of websites showing some scary stuff...

If this crap, which has been around for decades, worked, it would be approved by the FDA and recommended by doctors. Of course they're going to dis PRK because it's contrary to their financial interests. People aren't myopic because of strain, it's because of deformed corneas. Fvcking quacks selling snake oil.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
If this crap, which has been around for decades, worked, it would be approved by the FDA and recommended by doctors. Of course they're going to dis PRK because it's contrary to their financial interests. People aren't myopic because of strain, it's because of deformed corneas. Fvcking quacks selling snake oil.

Brett

hence my willingness to invest a few dollars into it. I figured I had nothing to lose except a couple bucks. I saw the horror stories of PRK on my own, not from what the authors said. Basically it comes down to this. My vision probably wont get worse than 20/40 before my flight physical. If it does, I'll ask for the SCL waiver, if they deny me I'll ask for PRK, if they deny me, I'll go NFO. I guess if I can't change my vision than I can't change what will happen at OCS so no use worrying...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hence my willingness to invest a few dollars into it. I figured I had nothing to lose except a couple bucks. I saw the horror stories of PRK on my own, not from what the authors said. Basically it comes down to this. My vision probably wont get worse than 20/40 before my flight physical. If it does, I'll ask for the SCL waiver, if they deny me I'll ask for PRK, if they deny me, I'll go NFO. I guess if I can't change my vision than I can't change what will happen at OCS so no use worrying...

That's not very Jewish of you, now is it? ;)

brett

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
The way your talking about its only a couple bucks you must have well over 5k saved in your account.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
The way your talking about its only a couple bucks you must have well over 5k saved in your account.

Let's just say I've been making ample deposits every month into my USAA mutual funds, and doing reasonably well. :)

joboy_2.0

Contributor
USAA? What is a mutal fund and what does that have to do with being well off?

uhhh...you assumed I have money saved (as should anyone planning for the future), and you assumed correctly. end of story....this thread is way past dead.