• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

allergies

chrisco133

ok, so im trying too finish all my medical crap with DODMERB. After i sent in the results of my first physical, i got a packet back requesting tests/info about blood pressure, color vision, and other pretty minor stuff. Then i noticed something requesting medical records and treatments related to a bee sting allergy. I was puzzled at first--id never been to a doctor at all for a bee sting. then i remembered i did have a minor reaction (i dont know if it was from the actual venom--i was stung several times) and had stupidly checked that little box when i sent in my medical packet. I kick myself in the butt every day now knowing that an allergy like that is a DQ. What do i do? i have no medical records or anything concerning bee stings. Will i have to get a test or can i just explain the situation to them? Can you get waivers depending on the severity of the reaction? any help or website would be appreciated

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not a doc. However, the medical establishment, despite the shit we give them as aviators, is not an unthinking monolithic agency looking to screw you because you aren't perfectly healthy. Check out the aeromedical waiver guide if you're really interested. To be sure, there are certain things which are incompatible with military aviation, but if the Navy had to DQ everyone whose mother overreacted and brought them into the doc for allergies/Ritalin/football injuries/whatever, we wouldn't have any aircrew.

If they want more info, you're far from being screwed.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
ok, so im trying too finish all my medical crap with DODMERB. After i sent in the results of my first physical, i got a packet back requesting tests/info about blood pressure, color vision, and other pretty minor stuff. Then i noticed something requesting medical records and treatments related to a bee sting allergy. I was puzzled at first--id never been to a doctor at all for a bee sting. then i remembered i did have a minor reaction (i dont know if it was from the actual venom--i was stung several times) and had stupidly checked that little box when i sent in my medical packet. I kick myself in the butt every day now knowing that an allergy like that is a DQ. What do i do? i have no medical records or anything concerning bee stings. Will i have to get a test or can i just explain the situation to them? Can you get waivers depending on the severity of the reaction? any help or website would be appreciated

I seriously doubt that Bee Stings will DQ you. Like Nittany said, the medical side of the Navy is quite fair. If you're fine, they'll clear you. I had a slew of allegy probs and sinus infection/bronchitis this past year and STILL passed the flight physical down here at NOMI. Mind you, this included sinus xrays, ENT evaluations...they did just about everything and cleared me. Be fair with them, they'll be fair with you. I bet you never hear about the bee sting thing again, to be honest. Don't even worry about it as far as your scholarship goes. I had buddies that had sinus surgeries in high school and still got their scholarships.

speeddypat

None
Hey Chrisco,
I had the same thing when i was younger, my foot had a slight reaction when i stepped on a bee. I saw a doctor about it but nothing serious ever happened. Definitely check out the Aeromedical guide like has been suggested, they just want to see that it happened when you were younger and that your throat didnt close up or anything... i passed MEPS no problem so i really dont think you have anything to worry about!

chrisco133

sorry, i should have mentioned this a physical for my NROTC scholarship. Are the standards about the same as the flight physical? and does the Navy consider the severity of your allergic reaction?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
sorry, i should have mentioned this a physical for my NROTC scholarship. Are the standards about the same as the flight physical? and does the Navy consider the severity of your allergic reaction?

that one is probably easier to pass. You can be severly allergic to stuff and still be in the program, dont worry.

Tennis21

Along the same lines as dodmerb...My status on the website changed from pending to closed, did I pass?

BackOrdered

Contributor
I can relate to your concern chrisco133. The Armed Forces really shouldn't be so blunt in their requirements if there are in fact ways around them. Often people don't know about waiver processes until they apply and get disqualified. They panic (I know I did), but in the end they get waived. But why even put someone through the stress of thinking they may never get to serve?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can relate to your concern chrisco133. The Armed Forces really shouldn't be so blunt in their requirements if there are in fact ways around them. Often people don't know about waiver processes until they apply and get disqualified. They panic (I know I did), but in the end they get waived. But why even put someone through the stress of thinking they may never get to serve?

Because the waiver process is not always in place. See the Soft Contact Lense Waiver thread. Waivers are ways to let people in when the numbers go down and standards are to keep them out when necessary.

On top of all that, the process itself isn't designed to be easy. It's set up for those that have tenacity and seek it out.