• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ALL NFO's - Army Grunt wants to be YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
To all NFO's,
I am an Infantryman in the Army on active. I have 96 credit hours of college at a 3.6 GPA...and a wife, two kids, and a dog. Since ROTC is out, whats the best route to these means? I wear glasses and I could fly army, but why would I want to? My father was a P-3 Aviator and I figure it's just more natural going back to the sea for me than staying in this mess (army).

Any advice appreciated, especially from former "other service" members.

SPC Peake

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
I would call a local NROTC unit and talk to them about options. Even though you think ROTC is out, it may not be. Some schools (U of South Florida where I went) are newer and may be willing to make you an Advanced Standing student - no scholarship but you get your commission when you grad. Anyway, just call them and they can either give you helpful info or they can get you in touch with the right guys. Since they work oftentimes with local Officer recruiters they usually have good personal relationships and can tell you which recruiter will help you and which will screw you. I was a former Marine and did Advanced Standing at U of South Florida and loved every minute of it. I just finished API last Friday and joined the pool waiting for Primary to start at TRAWING 6. If you want more info about USF just PM me.

Good luck.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Correct, since you are on active duty, NROTC is definitely out. Your best bet would be to contact an OSO (Officer Selection Officer) in your local area, and let him know of your intentions. Your transition will likely be a difficult one, since the trend seems to be "Blue-to-Green" more than the opposite, but that does not mean it can't be done.

The OSO will want to know how far you are from your EAOS, and might try to get you a conditional release from the Army prior to then if you are a particularly attractive prospect. The form for a conditional release from the Navy is DD368, the Army should have their own.

The OSO will know exactly what you need to do to make your transition. Best of luck,
-Paul

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
CORPSviation said:
doesnt the army have a seaman to admiral type of program where he can then do a latteral transfer?
I know they used to have one a couple years ago called something like "Green to Gold".

Grant

makana said:
I know they used to have one a couple years ago called something like "Green to Gold".

Correct, they still have "Green to Gold". One of my fraternity brothers is prior active duty Army, and is now in Army ROTC here at TCU.

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
That guy

OCS would be better - I'm at an accredited online university (AMU) and have college credits scattered across America.

How do we find our AFTB(?) scores? I took it before Sept. 11th and haven't been in the US since then (I'm in Germany).

The "green-to-gold" is a sheer rip-off. No lateral could be done with it and the scholarship pay is crappy. Besides, I loved the Naval Officer life (as a brat) and Army officer life seems like more dog-and-pony show than any other service. We have over 229 years of history in the Army, and we live like it's still 229 years ago mentally!

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Well I don't come right out and say this too often...but I was prior Army. The transition into the Marines was extremely easy, surprisingly enough.

I was however, in a Reserve status at the time (right when I was starting college) I'm now heading down to API. So what I did was simply talk to my OSO. Being prior has some advantages when applying to go through the PLC, or OCC course the Marines offer.

How old are you? How long till you graduate? Did you want Navy NFO or USMC?

These will be the biggest issues I bet. If you are below 28 or 29 years old they(Marines) will probably send you to OCS.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Rednight27 said:
To all NFO's,
I wear glasses and I could fly army, but why would I want to? My father was a P-3 Aviator and I figure it's just more natural going back to the sea for me than staying in this mess (army).

Any advice appreciated, especially from former "other service" members.

SPC Peake

I forgot to ask....why not fly ARMY? If you could be a PILOT (not dissing the NFO's) then why not....you are already an army dog. The transition to Army Warrent Officer would put you in the cockpit WAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster. And at your stage in the game being married and with kids you might wanna consider that (just my humble advice) If you went Marines you would have to 1. Finish College 2. Graduate from OCS 3. Graduate from TBS (6 months) 4. Take IFS (couple months) 5. Then go to NFO school

Army route: 1. Ditch college and go straight to WOCS (8 weeks) 2. Go straight to Ft. Rucker and start flight school.

Which one sounds quicker to you? I almost did it this way myself cuz i'm married and have a kid and I HATED college. But I hated the ARMY even more, so I had to make the same tough decision. Hope I didn't confuse you even more.

Good Luck

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
The whole "hating the army" thing is my hang-up. There are two words a CW4 buddy of mine told me on why I didn't get accepted to Warrant Flight (Army) - White and Male, and he's black! I'm sick of these quotas.

The Army has kept me an E-4 infantryman due to the fact that I'm reliable in a headquarters situation. They are not short on man-power, as they say.

I'm 25 and in the post HQ. I can most likely wing a BA between now and then.

Grant

I dont know if you'd want to be a WO anyway. From what I hear, commissioned officers treat warrants like second-class citizens. Whether its true or not, I dont know.

But on the other hand, flying in any capacity would be better than not flying at all. :D

KWpilot

Its true WO are treated pretty bad compared to RLO's. I think they are just jealous. Its funny in a way here I am a senior CW2 about to make CW3 going to be an IP soon and I have this 24 year old punk who think he is in charge. But because WO out number the RLO's in the unit we pretty much run everything and put the RLO's in there place. ie WO train them evalute their flying, unless they are resonable they will never make pilot in command.

As for the SPC who wants to fly navy I am also prior enlisted Navy so if I was you I would finish the degree go and take the ATSB and GO Navy. dont do the Army thing

Grant said:
I dont know if you'd want to be a WO anyway. From what I hear, commissioned officers treat warrants like second-class citizens. Whether its true or not, I dont know.

But on the other hand, flying in any capacity would be better than not flying at all. :D

bobbybrock

None
As An Army Cwo3 H-60 Guy I Would Concur With Kwpilot. After College I Looked Very Hard At The Marines. I Was Accepted To Ocs, But No Flight Contract. I Decided On The Army For Two Reasons, Age And The Fact That I Wanted To Fly. The System In The Army Is Broke. I've Stated That In A Few Threads Here.
Finish Your Degrre And Pursue Your Dreams. Flying For The Military In Any Capacity Is A Great Thing.
Also, The Army Is Full Of People Who Are Going To Tell You It Can't Be Done. Don't Listen To Them. Good Luck.

Bobby

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
bobbybrock said:
As An Army Cwo3 H-60 Guy I Would Concur With Kwpilot. After College I Looked Very Hard At The Marines. I Was Accepted To Ocs, But No Flight Contract. I Decided On The Army For Two Reasons, Age And The Fact That I Wanted To Fly. The System In The Army Is Broke. I've Stated That In A Few Threads Here.
Finish Your Degrre And Pursue Your Dreams. Flying For The Military In Any Capacity Is A Great Thing.
Also, The Army Is Full Of People Who Are Going To Tell You It Can't Be Done. Don't Listen To Them. Good Luck.

Bobby
I'm not busting your balls or anything but I just have to ask, why is every word in your post capitalized?

Hudson

I am also a former Army SPC. I did three years in the 25th. When it came time for me to think about getting back into the military after college and three years of teaching I thought long and hard about going back to the Army. I ended up going for the Navy as a P-3 NFO. I just winged last friday. I also have a wife a son and a daughter on the way. Some other things to think about are where you will be stationed. Lets face it the Army has some bad bases. The Navy bases I have been on are much nicer than most in the Army. If you don't appreciate that your wife probably will. The only problem that I have faced with the transition is who to root for during the Army vs. Navy game.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.