• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alcohol Dependent...package killer?

jwac85

FY-11 STA-21 Pilot Applicant
I have a question for all those out there who have known or do know anyone that has applied for STA-21 and is alcohol dependent. I am trying to submit my package for the FY-09 board and was diagnosed as Alcohol Dependent in Feb. 06. I followed the aftercare and have been doing great since I recieved treatment. I completed my SNA physical and everything was great except for my diagnosis. The Flight Surgeon who makes the final determination on whether I qualify for flight status said that he needs to check with NOMI to see if he can grant me flight status or not. If he does not, could and should I still apply for the core option and apply for the pilot option while I am in school? -thanks all.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apply for everything you can. They will shut you down if you are not qualified.

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
STA-21 Web-site said:
Substantiated alcohol or drug-related incidents while in an enlisted status are considered an aspect of an individual's performance and judgment and will be considered when assessing future leadership potential. Applicants who are alcohol dependent must have successfully completed the appropriate regimen of treatment and education in accordance with OPNAVINST 5350.4C and have remained alcohol free for the period of three (3) years preceding 01 July of application year."

I am trying to submit my package for the FY-09 board and was diagnosed as Alcohol Dependent in Feb. 06. I followed the aftercare and have been doing great since I recieved treatment.

Not to be a kill joy but it looks like you have to wait another year or so to to apply.

I think that if you have shown great personal and professional growth in learning from this it could help your package. It doesn't sound like you had an incident, that's good. The boards look at the whole person. It's all about the situation. I've known some enlisted that are/borderline dependent and once they received treatment went on to be outstanding sailors and leaders. However I bet everyone knows a few examples of sailors that are dependent and didn't get help or didn't want the help and end up being/continuing to be total shitbags.

haubby

None
Contributor
Alcohol Dependent = Alcoholic. Alcohol Abuser is a term for someone who for a specific event abused alcohol i.e. alcohol poisoning, dui, or any alcohol related incident whether it be minor or major. Being labeled an abuser does not necessarily mean your an alcoholic. However it is a tool designed to track trends. If labeled an abuser, Medical may determine the individual needs to attend such classes like PREVENT. If labeled a dependent you will more than likely go to SARP for treatment.

Now I may be wrong but I have gained some experience in this process in the last two weeks so thats what I've gotten out of it.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
The Flight Surgeon who makes the final determination on whether I qualify for flight status said that he needs to check with NOMI to see if he can grant me flight status or not. If he does not, could and should I still apply for the core option and apply for the pilot option while I am in school? -thanks all.

Apply for everything you can. They will shut you down if you are not qualified.

I would be cautious to apply for "everything you can". If they come back saying you're not physically qualified (at this time) for SNA due to your history, I would recommend Core simply due to the fact that if you apply and get selected for Pilot but NPQ the physical you will be dropped completely from STA-21. Selecting Core will allow you to remain in the program (granted that you pass the URL Officer physical) and give you time to prove that you no longer have the "Alcohol Dependence" for the SNA physical down the road.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
If there's anything I've learned in 14 years of naval service - beat into me by Naval Aviation, reinforced by lots of dealings with NOMI, Flight Surgeons, and BuMed - it's that you NEVER, EVER take someone else's word for it when it comes to your life, or your career.

Do the leg work, find the references, and arm yourself with official Navy Regulations. No one else ever has more of a stake (and hence, the same motivation) to make sure things are done correctly than you do.

Good Luck.

phrogpilot73

If there's anything I've learned in 14 years of naval service - beat into me by Naval Aviation, reinforced by lots of dealings with NOMI, Flight Surgeons, and BuMed - it's that you NEVER, EVER take someone else's word for it when it comes to your life, or your career.

Do the leg work, find the references, and arm yourself with official Navy Regulations. No one else ever has more of a stake (and hence, the same motivation) to make sure things are done correctly than you do.

Good Luck.
I think I can summarize Scoob's (welcome aboard by the way!) post in just a couple of words: Don't rely on anyone to look out for you other than you.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I think I can summarize Scoob's (welcome aboard by the way!) post in just a couple of words: Don't rely on anyone to look out for you other than you.
...or El Duderino, if you're not into that whole brevity thing. Which apparently, I'm not.:D