• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alaska Airlines 737 MAX 9 Decompression

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
On the 737, at least at my carrier, we don't slow down unless there is concern for structural integrity. We bug the barber pole and will descend as fast as possible with gear up.. much quicker than 1000-1500. Don't remember what we'd achieve in the sim, but I'd guess more like 3.5-4.5k.
At altitude, yes. But these folks were at 16k. You ain’t getting that much VSI down low and slow! Since I have never flown a 73, I don’t know how they behave but 250-200 knots, you ain’t getting more than 1300 without gear in a widebody. I have to assume a 73max is gonna be similar.

Our number one threat is a cargo fire (lithiums are no bueno). So yes we run this drill in the sims often.. What you’re saying is not wrong My comment is strictly in relation to their scenario and commentary that they had slowed down to slowest practical speed.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
So here is a question? Since it’s no longer a door but a plug, would you get an EICAS message for door open? Again, no 73 experience and not a PAX pilot. But was a 757 & now a 767 Capt so I sort of know a little about Boeing. And by a little, don’t read into that, I mean a little!

Mirage

pilot
At altitude, yes. But these folks were at 16k. You ain’t getting that much VSI down low and slow! Since I have never flown a 73, I don’t know how they behave but 250-200 knots, you ain’t getting more than 1300 without gear in a widebody. I have to assume a 73max is gonna be similar.

Our number one threat is a cargo fire (lithiums are no bueno). So yes we run this drill in the sims often.. What you’re saying is not wrong My comment is strictly in relation to their scenario and commentary that they had slowed down to slowest practical speed.
Ah, I didn't realize they slowed to slowest practical.. that's fair then.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So here is a question? Since it’s no longer a door but a plug, would you get an EICAS message for door open? Again, no 73 experience and not a PAX pilot. But was a 757 & now a 767 Capt so I sort of know a little about Boeing. And by a little, don’t read into that, I mean a little!

No EICAS in the 737 (MAX included), but if I recall correctly, the door lights on the overhead panel associated with those exits are placarded INOP on our tails that have this "feature"

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
No EICAS in the 737 (MAX included), but if I recall correctly, the door lights on the overhead panel associated with those exits are placarded INOP on our tails that have this "feature"
This always blew my mind. The P-8 has (to some degree) an EICAS. Granted, most of the messages that would pop up were mission system related, but we still had basic ones that would pop on the center MFD. Why the MAX doesn’t I don’t understand.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

I think it was MANsomething sim but we did the ANC air return with a cargo fire in ITU and it was crazy busy. Very thankful for the fancy cargo suppression system Fred sprang for during those TRANSPACs.

Mirage

pilot
The weird thing is the 737-900 has the same plug door.. from what I've heard, no difference at all. It's been flying for decades without issue. Wonder why the max is grounded but not the 900? Just to appease the unaware public with minimal impact? Maybe part of the distrust of Spirit Aerosystems/Boeing's recent manufacturing processes?