• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airplane Purchases

phrogpilot73

I was looking into buying a IFR-rated Cherokee 180, right around $60,000 for a good one. Several things turned me off to it - maintenance/hangering fees, and the fact that my wife won't let me. The initial cost is just the tip of the iceberg my friend. If I ever do buy a plane, it's either going to be part of a fractional ownership scheme, or rent it back to the local flight school.

SemperApollo

Consider the RV series from Van's.

It will be cheaper in the long run, as you pay for it in chunks.

By the time you finish building it you will have time to fly it.

A manufactured aircraft that has generally the same performance will cost you four times as much, all at one payment.

Plus, you will save loads of money that you would ordinarily be giving up to mechanics for maintenance, overhauls, yearly inspections, etc...

I would go with the new RV-10 as it has four seats, or the RV-3 because you can choose to install the turbine driven prop and flat out fly!

I saw an RV-4 the other day and fell in love...okay maybe it was the fact that it was painted like a Chinese Theatre P-51 had something to do with it. On the downside, it did look rather snug for my frame. Supposedly the RV-8 is a bit bigger but has anyone actually been in it who could tell me?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
What a sweet looking line of aircraft they are!!!

Flying impressions? Manuverability? Aerobatic capable? Specifically, I'm most interested in the 7...I like the idea of the tailwheel config and the side by side seating...

Got to be honest...the idea of building one is moderately terrifying....and I am reasonably mechanically inclined.

theduke

well, i've flown an RV-4, and it's a blast. i didn't find myself cramped up, but then again i'm only 5'8" (although 195 lbs or so), and used to driving Miatas and S2000s as primary transportation.

the RV-8 is a little bigger, and can carry a little more, but they're WAY more expensive...like 2-3x more expensive.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I really like the looks of the RV-7...the tandem cockpit just doesn't make sense to me in a recreational airplane...especially for my wife who is a little timid about flying aircraft to begin with.

Supposedly the builds are quite a bit easier too with the -7/-8/-9...obviously I have no experience here...this is just what I've read.

I am dying to hear some first hand reports of these airplanes with the Innodyn turbine engines. The 185 horse turbine weighs 185 pounds wet and installed...some 275 less than a comparable horsepower Subie or Lycoming engine! And that is on an aircraft with a gross weight of 1800#! All this while costing less and burning pretty much anything you put in the tanks. Should hold power better at altitude as well.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've been lusting after a homebuilt recently. Through my research, I've come to decide I want an RV-4, 7 or 8. I am well aware that it is probably not remotely feasible to build an aircraft until I am established in a fleet squadron (probably not until HAC) and even then it will be very difficult. But my dream forever has always been to OWN my own plane, and not some "Toyota Tercel of the skies" Cessna either.

I've stumbled upon a few blog sites of builders, but this one site I found has and EXTREMELY extensive log of his progress from start to finish building his RV-7. He has thousands of annotated pictures explaining his progress of building, fixing and eventually flight testing, flying cross-country, and even making international trips in it! I HIGHLY suggest you take a peek if you're considering the world of RV aircraft.

http://www.rvproject.com/

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I think that site links to it, but if you're seriously considering an RV you need to check out Van's Air Force and if you'd like to see what you can do with an extremely large budget and plenty of time (like we all don't have those two) check out Paul Dye's bird. Amazing.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old-Amazing.jpg

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I disagree on the insurance - if you have a tailwheel endorsement, it will not be outrageous. Not much more than a tricycle gear a/c.

I instructed a guy who bought a Citabria 7ECA(115HP) to get his PVT rating in. 0TT,time his insurance was about 1,300 a year. If you compare that to the C-152(2 seats) it goes down about $500-$700 for the same hull value ($30K).

Insuring a Decathalon (150-180HP) is another animal. rates go up simply because it's a purpose built aerobatic trainer. The flat-wing Citabria was originally the same idea, but it's rarely used for acro anymore.

Insurance rates are all over the place depending on who brokers for you and your qualifications. My J-3 Cub for instance is $850/year (65HP) and I've got a high TT, 500 hrs T/W, CFII, etc.

Mike-