• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airplane Purchases

pilot06

The trick is finding a plane that is that "cheap" and still is a) airworthy and b) does what you want it to do. If all you want is slow VFR on the weekend, then sure, but if you want something that is faster, can take 3-4 people, and do it possibly IFR, it's going to cost more than $40K. Can it be done? Sure, you bet. But I'm w/ Brett on this one. A typical JO sea tour is pretty busy, and you may not get to enjoy it as much as you would have liked. I had this same problem w/ a boat. Thankfully webmaster and I shared the expense, which is certainly another option for a plane, as well.

@pilot06:

I'd definitely recommend getting a 1-2 hour sign off in the same type before you go picking it up and flying it cold. Do the new AA-5Bs still have a 180HP in them? If so, getting a hop in an older Tiger would be the same basic airplane let you get the feel for it. More than one new Grumman pilot has pranged his airplane because it didn't quite fly (and land) like a Cessna. You might want to check out the American Yankee Assoc. (AYA), which is a Grumman owner's assoc, as well.
Gatordev, yeah I'm definitely going to get some time in the a/c before going to pick it up, and yes, I believe they do still have a 180hp in them. Thanks again for the info.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the airplane goes...if you can buy a $40000 automobile...and how many JO's that we know do that (Corvette, M3, 3 series etc...) than you could own your own plane...

Don't think you have to put yourself in the poorhouse to do it necessarily if you keep the purchase price low enough.

Buying a $40K automobile and buying a $40K aircraft aren't even in the same zip code, let alone ballpark. Initial buy-in is the same. That's. About. It. Insurance, Hangaring, MAINTENANCE (HUUUUUUGE cost), inspections, etc. The cost of ownership of an aircraft is crazy high. Owning a car is cheap, unless you buy a POS Audi that needs fixing every month.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Owning a car is cheap, unless you buy a POS Audi that needs fixing every month.

If your talking about the silver S4 Princess had... I'm sure most of the problems that car had were caused by him driving like a f'n idiot. I've had other friends who didn't have any problems with theirs.

Lawman

None
If your talking about the silver S4 Princess had... I'm sure most of the problems that car had were caused by him driving like a f'n idiot. I've had other friends who didn't have any problems with theirs.

Agreed, the A8 Series that the owner of my local range has is just an insanely good car.

Now if you wanna talk about overrated Eurojunk try a V-12 Jag.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Buying a $40K automobile and buying a $40K aircraft aren't even in the same zip code

I never said anything about a 40$k aircraft...if I were going to make a direct comparison, I would say maybe a 25K aircraft...none of this is what I originally asked though....just as an FYI

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never said anything about a 40$k aircraft...if I were going to make a direct comparison, I would say maybe a 25K aircraft...none of this is what I originally asked though....just as an FYI

I don't care what you originally asked, I'm addressing what you said. You're right, you didn't say a 40K plane, so fair enough. They're still quite a bit different though, and I would never recommend an Ensign buy a plane :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Scoober, regardless of pay (and FWIW, finding a $25K airplane can be difficult), let me reiterate my statement earlier... It may not be the best idea, not necessarily for monetary reasons, but because of time and logistics as a new JO. You're milage may vary, but just putting it out there.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone read the thread...;) :D

...at 10 years....bout the same BP as a new LT....

We're tracking differently. I made that statement as a matter of point. Even with equivalent new LT pay, it'll be tight. The few guys I know that own airplanes have supplemental income. Not saying it's impossible, just... buyer beware :) The general wisdom is if you can't fly more than 100 hours a year, you're wasting money.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
My best friend's father owns a time-share with about 4 other pilots, and is basically able to use the plane at will. We went down to Fun 'n Sun this year and he was able to use it for several other occasions w/o conflict from the other pilots. He pays a low amount for upkeep a month + that of fuel when he uses it. He has read this thread and told me to recommend a time share. So for better or for worse, consider this.