• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airplane Purchases

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a guy who used his USAA starter loan to get a taildragger (I forget the type). Then, sold that one and bought a Pitts.

My other buddy ordered a Supercub kit.
I think I know the guy you're talking about. If so, he liked to buzz around over my house in Meridian when flying on weekends.

But aside from his investment luck, I suppose if you're willing to live in an apartment, drive a junker and possibly eat ramen noodles, it's possible to have your own plane while a JO.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
As far as the airplane goes...if you can buy a $40000 automobile...and how many JO's that we know do that (Corvette, M3, 3 series etc...) than you could own your own plane...

Don't think you have to put yourself in the poorhouse to do it necessarily if you keep the purchase price low enough.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As far as the airplane goes...if you can buy a $40000 automobile...and how many JO's that we know do that (Corvette, M3, 3 series etc...) than you could own your own plane...

Don't think you have to put yourself in the poorhouse to do it necessarily if you keep the purchase price low enough.

The trick is finding a plane that is that "cheap" and still is a) airworthy and b) does what you want it to do. If all you want is slow VFR on the weekend, then sure, but if you want something that is faster, can take 3-4 people, and do it possibly IFR, it's going to cost more than $40K. Can it be done? Sure, you bet. But I'm w/ Brett on this one. A typical JO sea tour is pretty busy, and you may not get to enjoy it as much as you would have liked. I had this same problem w/ a boat. Thankfully webmaster and I shared the expense, which is certainly another option for a plane, as well.

@pilot06:

I'd definitely recommend getting a 1-2 hour sign off in the same type before you go picking it up and flying it cold. Do the new AA-5Bs still have a 180HP in them? If so, getting a hop in an older Tiger would be the same basic airplane let you get the feel for it. More than one new Grumman pilot has pranged his airplane because it didn't quite fly (and land) like a Cessna. You might want to check out the American Yankee Assoc. (AYA), which is a Grumman owner's assoc, as well.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
Long EZ?

My dad (ret. A-10/F-5 pilot) bought a Long EZ awhile back. He always commented on how it was like his minnie fighter. The Long EZ, is a 2 seater, single engine prop plane, with acrobatic capabilities (i.e. barrel roll). Anyway here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.answers.com/topic/rutan-long-ez

index001008.jpg

thull

how/why exactly is a plane going to appreciate?

as for the original question..depending on where you live of course, but i'd get a little cessna seaplane. there's lakes everywhere here in maine, take a friend or two off for weekend camping trips,,etc.

theduke

It's a bad idea. The Navy is going to essentially give you a plane. Buy a boat instead.

yeah, but you don't get to fly it if you have 2 anchors on your wings. plus, that's like work...when you're doing it on your on terms, it's like play.

It just seems like for all the money you're going to spend on a plane, you're probably better off renting unless you plan on flying a whole lot of hours. You probably won't have that much free time on your first squadron tour.

true, although you can't generally rent anything cool.

The trick is finding a plane that is that "cheap" and still is a) airworthy and b) does what you want it to do. If all you want is slow VFR on the weekend, then sure, but if you want something that is faster, can take 3-4 people, and do it possibly IFR, it's going to cost more than $40K.

I can think of several aircraft that will do 180-200+ kts that you can get for $40,000 (and even find an IFR-equipped example). RV-4, Mustang II, Glasair, etc. They're all aerobatic, too (no **** aerobatic...not a barrel roll in a Vari-Eze).

they're just not certified category, which is a concern to some people.

I'd like to get a partial share of an RV-4 (or maybe a Citabria, although it's kinda slow for XC work, and you prob won't find an IFR one), but I don't know when I'll have time to enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile.

I'd thought about getting something like a half share of an EAA bipe, Cessna 140, etc just to have something dirt cheap to fly and build taildragger time in before I get something more expensive and higher performance...but again, this won't be anything right away.

gaetabob

pilot
as a pipe dream, I'd love to own an old WWII or Korean era warbird. Or if you got an extra $500K lying around, I saw a Mig-21 for sale.

But on a more practical note, you can get a real nice kitplane for a reasonable price. The catch is, you need a nice workshop and skills with the tools. I've got an uncle who's building a second plane right now and enjoying it...it's also been taking him a few years to do because he can only do a fews hours here and there. His first plane is an old Piper Cheroke that he bought years ago. I've seen 'em listed cheap, and those things seem to last. Great for cruising around on the weekends, or crosscountry...and there's my $.02

good luck with your private airplane endevours, Scoob!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@theduke:

You honestly think owning an airplane doesn't require work? There's still upkeep.

I can think of several aircraft that will do 180-200+ kts that you can get for $40,000 (and even find an IFR-equipped example). RV-4, Mustang II, Glasair, etc. They're all aerobatic, too (no **** aerobatic...not a barrel roll in a Vari-Eze).

they're just not certified category, which is a concern to some people.

I think maybe the issue here is defining what one wants to use the aircraft for. I didn't know you get get an IFR Glassair for that cheap. Sounds fun, but still only two seats. That might be fine for some, not so much for others. As for an RV-4...I can't imagine doing anything in that aircraft other than screwing around for an hour or two on the weekend. The one I flew in (a long time ago) I swear was smaller than the T-34, which isn't exactly all that comfy.

I take your points, but stand by my statement that if you're looking for something more than just a 2 seater, it gets more challenging to find something, bu certainly not impossible.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
@theduke:

You honestly think owning an airplane doesn't require work? There's still upkeep.

You ain't kidding. I found out the hard way that the purchase price is just the tip of the iceberg. I had a partnership in a T-34A, owned a Citabria, now a Cub. It's easy to buy a plane, 4 months later, you get the tax bill (several thousand dollars based on the sale price and state of residence). Insurance is all over the map depending on your TT, and type of time. Taildraggers are very expensive to insure compared to a C-152, etc. (which wil be around 1K for a lot timer and goes up for more complex ships) Annual state registration/luxury tax can be several hundred dollars, hangar is always going to be at least $100 in the cheapest states. (Mine's $210/mo). Annual inspections are also dependant on type. The T-34 went about 1K (If nothing needed repairs, the Cub goes about $300.) Then there's the recommended maintenance fund. I used to out $20/hr in an account for the 34, $7 for the Cub to offset unexpected repairs, and the eventual engine overhaul / fabric recover which can easily exceed several thousand dollars.

Lastly, there's fuel. Again, a bigger engine (IO-520 in my T-34 burned 18 ga/hr, the Cub 5 ga/hr. At roughly $4.50/ga, an afternoon a flying can cost big bucks.

I did all the cost anaylsis of ownership compared to renting. The math will never work, out unless you can fly your plane a couple of hundred hours a year. I finally realized that I would never be able to rationalize the numbers, and simply wanted the plane for the enjoyment it provides. Would I do it again? Absolutely. And yes, we own a modest house, drive old cars, and don't eat out alot, but we fly the hell out of the airplane!

JIMMY

pitts? u need an Extra 300! but then... there goes ur whole afford-ability thing...

thull

You ain't kidding. I found out the hard way that the purchase price is just the tip of the iceberg. I had a partnership in a T-34A, owned a Citabria, now a Cub. It's easy to buy a plane, 4 months later, you get the tax bill (several thousand dollars based on the sale price and state of residence). Insurance is all over the map depending on your TT, and type of time. Taildraggers are very expensive to insure compared to a C-152, etc. (which wil be around 1K for a lot timer and goes up for more complex ships) Annual state registration/luxury tax can be several hundred dollars, hangar is always going to be at least $100 in the cheapest states. (Mine's $210/mo). Annual inspections are also dependant on type. The T-34 went about 1K (If nothing needed repairs, the Cub goes about $300.) Then there's the recommended maintenance fund. I used to out $20/hr in an account for the 34, $7 for the Cub to offset unexpected repairs, and the eventual engine overhaul / fabric recover which can easily exceed several thousand dollars.

Lastly, there's fuel. Again, a bigger engine (IO-520 in my T-34 burned 18 ga/hr, the Cub 5 ga/hr. At roughly $4.50/ga, an afternoon a flying can cost big bucks.

I did all the cost anaylsis of ownership compared to renting. The math will never work, out unless you can fly your plane a couple of hundred hours a year. I finally realized that I would never be able to rationalize the numbers, and simply wanted the plane for the enjoyment it provides. Would I do it again? Absolutely. And yes, we own a modest house, drive old cars, and don't eat out alot, but we fly the hell out of the airplane!

Thanks for the good info on that post. lots to consider when/if i ever think about buying a plane.

HUDcripple

pilot
If your even thinking about renting a plane you should join AOPA. $44 a year is well worth it. Great magazine, and the message boards (members only) are excellent. That is the place to ask this question.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I've always had my eyes on the Long EZ. Affordable, efficient, 2 slots, aerobatic. What more can you want? I have a car that's paid for and is very reliable, so instead of a car payment I'd rather pay for something that flies. After I get my commission, obviously.

For a pipe dream, say, I win two lotteries, I'd probably go with a P-38. I drool just thinking about them.