• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airlines and Security -- The Challenge post 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Guarding Airliners From Missiles Determined Too Costly (note: is ANYONE, with the exception of bureacrats and politicians TRULY surprised at this .... "news" ??? -- A4s )

sam7-index.jpg

January 25, 2005, 2:30 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Outfitting every U.S. commercial passenger plane with anti-missile systems would be a costly and impractical defense against terrorists armed with shoulder-fired rockets , according to a study released Tuesday.

Researchers said it could cost nearly $40 billion over 20 years to deploy defense technology on the country's 6,800 passengers jets. By comparison, the federal government currently spends roughly $4.4 billion a year on all transportation security.

The study by California-based Rand Corp. also found the devices -- powerful on-board lasers that divert heat-seeking missiles -- weren't yet reliable enough for commercial aviation because of false alarms that could distract authorities and create a safety hazard.

So far, no U.S. carriers have been attacked by missiles. But two shoulder-fired rockets launched by al-Qaida-linked terrorists narrowly missed an Israeli passenger jet in Kenya in November 2002. Since the 1970s. more than 40 aircraft have been hit by shoulder-fired missiles, killing 600 people.

The availability of shoulder-launched missiles on the black market has heightened fears. As many as 750,000 shoulder-fired missiles are now deployed, with about 1 percent said to be outside government controls, according a Government Accountability Office report issued last year.

The study also suggested that reducing the missile threat involved other countermeasures such as working with foreign governments to slow the proliferation of missiles and helping local authorities set up security perimeters around airports. :) :) :) (note: HEY !! HEY !! HEY !!! That will work !!! I KNOW IT WILL --- I have GOT to get a job doing some of these "studies" -- A4s)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TSA Airport screening : I'm From the Government and I'm Here to HELP !!

TSA%20Logo.gif
... nope, I'm talkin' about that OTHER TSA

Roughly one in every seven passengers now faces secondary screening, an increase from previous levels. Predictably, that's drawing complaints. "It's fair to say the frequency of secondary screening has gone up," Transportation Security Administration (TSA) spokeswoman Amy von Walter said in a recent interview.

Somewhere between 10% and 15% of passengers are picked randomly before getting their boarding passes. The TSA says an unspecified additional number are flagged by the government's generic profiling system, where buying a one-way ticket, paying cash or other factors may bring extra scrutiny -- such as suspicious bulges or shapes under clothing. Passenger complaints about screening have roughly doubled every month since August, according to TSA and Department of Transportation figures. Von Walter says the TSA isn't sure why complaints have risen so sharply ..... ????? Right, we don't have a clue as to why ... in the meantime, middle-east 20-30 something males get a "pass" while we give a full body check to little old blue-haired grannies and blond Norweigans. Including airline Captains in full uniform -- especially them.

Regardless, the TSA does require airlines to pick 10%-15% of travelers at random. If picked in advance by the airlines' computer system, the boarding pass is marked to identify that; most airlines print "SSSS" in a corner of the boarding pass.

I have personally been subjected to the red-carpet, maximum "secondary" screening procedure several times, even in full uniform, and when flying the aircraft. But ... in uniform & flying the bird ??? The "full" treatment ?? It only happened ONCE!! More later on this prime example horror story of governmental overkill and rank incompetence ..... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Passengers subdue man on Southwest flight

vert.egyed.jpg
logo_sw.jpg

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 3:48 PM EST
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Passengers aboard a Southwest Airlines flight helped wrestle a fellow passenger to the floor Tuesday night after he tried to force his way into the cockpit, law enforcement officials said.

The incident happened aboard Flight 2161, which was traveling from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to West Palm Beach, Florida.

Christopher Egyed, 37, made "threatening comments about the government" and tried to make his way into the cockpit, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokesman Paul Miller said. "He had been acting in an obnoxious way throughout the flight," Miller said.

Egyed exchanged punches with a flight attendant before passengers joined the scuffle and subdued him, authorities said. "They used duct tape to tie him up," FBI spokeswoman Judy Orijuela said.

Egyed was charged with interfering with a flight crew, she said. The pilot did not declare an emergency, and the plane landed without further incident at 9:45 p.m. ET in West Palm Beach. Egyed was taken into custody when the plane landed. Authorities said he is unemployed and lives in Philadelphia.

Egyed was scheduled to appear Wednesday in federal court in Fort Pierce, officials said. If convicted, he could be sentenced to up to 20 years behind bars.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Security fee on plane tickets may double

Hike part of Homeland Security budget
Friday, January 28, 2005 Posted: 2:18 AM EST
TSA%20logo%20cutout.gif.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A fee charged to airline travelers to help pay for airport security would more than double under the Administration's spending proposal for the Homeland Security Department. The plan calls for boosting the security fee from $2.50 to $5.50 for a one-way airline ticket and from a maximum of $5 to $8 for multiple legs. The hikes are expected to generate $1.5 billion.

Debby McElroy, president of the Regional Airline Association, criticized the proposal as taxing an industry that already carries one of the highest tax burdens. "This could put further pressure on airline revenues at a time when many carriers are struggling for their very survival". (Note: 45% of the price of every domestic U.S. ticket is taxes and fees -- read: more taxes, by any other word -- A4s)

James C. May, president and CEO of the Air Transport Association, said the proposal "demonstrates a complete failure to comprehend the economics of a crippled industry."

Rebel652

pilot
Is it just me or does that guy look a lot like Robert Downey Jr ?

Attachments

• DowneyJrRobert.jpg
    DowneyJrRobert.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 81

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
YOU GUYS ARE BOTH RIGHT: I did not notice the resemblance....
Rebel652 said:
Is it just me or does that guy look a lot like Robert Downey Jr ?
gaijin6423 said:
You know, I was just thinking that. It must be the lighting they use in those mugshots, right?
And ANOTHER EXCELLENT POINT:
Patmack18 said:
HAHAHAHAA... I find it hilarious they didn't declare an emergency......"Naw center don't worry about it, the passengers have him hog tied and are taking turns kicking him in the face."
But on my airline, hogtied and kicking --usually in the groin as it doesn't show -- was a normal pre-9/11 response for that presumptuous passenger who would ask for that 2nd cup of water ... and sometimes, just because ... :)
We got the Toughest/Best Flight Attendants in my world ..... :devil_125 :angel_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Michael Moore's bodyguard arrested at JFK

Michael Moore's bodyguard arrested on gun charge at Kennedy airport
mmguneat.jpg

January 20, 2005, 9:36 PM EST
NEW YORK (Newsday) -- A bodyguard who has protected outspoken moviemaker and gun control advocate Michael Moore was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport for carrying a pistol without a New York license, authorities said Thursday.

The bodyguard, Patrick Burk, was questioned by Port Authority police Wednesday night after he notified a United Airlines ticket agent that he wanted to carry his weapon --- unloaded and in a bag --- on a flight to Los Angeles, Port Authority spokesman Tony Ciavolella said.

Burk, 34, was arraigned Thursday evening in Queens on a felony charge of criminal possession of a weapon and was released on his own recognizance, Queens district attorney's office spokesman Patrick Clark said. A return court date was set for Feb. 3.

Burk's attorney, Marc Greenwald, said his client "was following proper airline procedures when he was checking in and informed the airline that he had an unloaded and locked weapon in his checked baggage, which he is entitled to do."

The bodyguard, who works for the California-based security firm Gavin de Becker & Associates, told police he had traveled to New York with Moore earlier this month, Ciavolella said. He produced licenses for his Mauser handgun from California and Florida but not New York, which prompted his arrest. De Becker defended Burk, saying he had followed proper procedures at the airport. He called him "a leading professional in his field." (note: "a leading professional in his field" breaks or does not know the local firearms laws re: possesion and/or concealed carry ???? --- A4s) :confused: :confused:

Moore won an Academy Award for best documentary for "Bowling for Columbine," a scathing look at the gun culture in America. In an interview last year with Playboy magazine, Moore called the National Rifle Association a "radical, freaky group." "Most Americans are with me on this," he said about stricter gun controls. "They understand duck hunters don't need Uzis and cop-killer bullets."

When asked to comment Thursday on the arrest of Moore's bodyguard at Kennedy Airport, an NRA spokesman said: "Based on empirical evidence, this is the height of hypocrisy."

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever notice the very vocal gun-control advocates have guns for themselves or body guards with guns? I guess only the rich and privelidged should be allowed to have them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Thats cuz their all post menopausal dikes.... oops was that out loud?
HAH !! I dunno ... you may have something :skull_125 , I just don't know.

GOT IT !!! Give me your name, rank, serial #, home phone, home address, etc., etc., and I will pass it along to some of our F/A's !!! ... for further examination and discussion ... while you are cruising around in rehab ... in your wheelchair .... sucking on a chew-toy :icon_woma :icon_very )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Guarding Airliners From Missiles Determined Too Costly
1/28/2005 UPDATE:
TSA%20logo%20cutout.gif.jpg
Study Criticizes Antimissile Systems for U.S. Airliners
logo_rand.gif

An independent study that the Rand Corporation recently conducted supports ALPA’s long-held argument that a missile defense system on airliners would be too costly and would not provide adequate results. Unless the cost of such technology is drastically reduced, these missile defense systems are not prudent in the U.S. airline environment, the study’s lead author warned.

The study concludes that existing military antimissile technology cannot be adapted to block MANPADS fired at airliners without the costs being too prohibitive and maintenance too expensive. The study also noted that false alarms that trigger defense mechanisms could be a problem. The Rand Corp. estimated that installing devices on U.S. airliners to interfere with or jam MANPADS laser-targeting technology would cost more than $11 billion to install and $2.1 billion each year to maintain—three times what the U.S. government now spends on all transportation security.

In 2004, the Homeland Security Department gave contracts to two companies to test such laser systems. DHS claims it is already addressing many of the Rand Corp. concerns and hopes to have results from the tests ready to present to Congress in 2006.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SUPERBOWL SUNDAY SECURITY - JAX style

U. S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Transportation Security Administration

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - January 31, 2005

Jacksonville gets explosives checker:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said Florida's Jacksonville International Airport— the main air gateway to this Sunday's Super Bowl — is the latest to test an explosives trace portal machine.

During Phase I of the pilot, TSA began testing the trace portal at passenger security checkpoints at airports in Providence, R.I., Rochester, N.Y., San Diego, Tampa, and Gulfport, Miss., last summer. In the fall of 2004, TSA deployed a sixth trace portal to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City.

At Jacksonville, passengers who are directed by the TSA screeners will step into the trace portal. Passengers will stand still for a few seconds while several “puffs” of air are released. The portal will analyze the air for traces of explosives and a computerized voice will tell passengers when to exit.

marilynskirt.jpg
TSA Depiction of how the new "puffer and analyzer" will work. We understand they are not soliciting new applications, they are presently overwhelmed with applicants to operate the new equipment.

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lasers: Blind or Range Find ???

So what's going on here ... ??

The recent Laser beam scare around certain airports was getting a lot of media ink a couple of weeks ago, but mention of the phenomenon now has largely disappeared.

Even though the FBI continues to blame the laser incidents on "pranksters," it's good to see them finally cracking down. 'We're taking it very seriously,'' says an FBI agent who heads Nashville's Joint Terrorism Task Force, regarding a recent incident reported by flight crew of an outbound United Express jet on January 2 on its way from Nashville to Chicago. The same article in The Tennesean cites the comments of Capt Steve Luckey, national safety committee chairman for ALPA, and tend to corroborate the theory advanced by myself and others that the lasers aren't a weapon in and of themselves but a rangefinding device for a more conventional weapon, such as a missile:

" Someone with enough practice and the right targeting equipment [like a "laser range-finder/target designator" -- pix below] could train a laser accurately on an airplane", Luckey said. "It's a possibility, though not likely, that someone could use a laser as a targeting device for a ''beam-rider'' missile", said Luckey who has lengthy commercial and combat flying experience. (Note: I know Capt Luckey personally --- he is one of the experts today in the field of airline security. A discussion with him re: TWA 800 would make your hair stand on end ... he doesn't make a career of guessing -- Steve's a "just the facts, Ma'am" kind of guy ... A4s)

So if lasers are NOT being used by "pranksters" to harrass pilots in the landing/take-off segment of flight, what ARE they being used for ???

Speculation : Lasers are not being used to blind pilots. Lasers are being used to measure straight-line distances from the ground to an aircraft. By whom, you ask, and for what reasons? Well, by terrorists, naturally, for purposes of gathering speed and azimuth data to most efficiently launch their shoulder-fired MANPAD missiles ... ?? They missed EL AL coming out of Mombasa because they took a bad shot launched out of missile parameters ... but the next time ??
image3381.jpg
Anyone have any better ideas ... ??
an-tvq-2%20_dfst9201655_jpg-s.jpg

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Opportunity Knocks, ALPA Answers to Promote TWIC

Opportunity Knocks, ALPA Answers to Promote TWIC
AlpaLogo3.gif

An investigative report by a Chicago-area cable news station, CLTV, recently demonstrated how easily any individual could use an Internet connection and a credit card to order a pilot uniform delivered right to the person’s door.

Once alerted to the CLTV story, ALPA worked with the journalist to help make it clear that, while the unauthorized use of airline pilot uniforms is a serious concern, it is only one method of impersonating transportation workers. ALPA recognized the story as an opportunity to promote the Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) system, and took advantage of it.

The United MEC’s vice-chairman, Capt. Wendy Morse, represented ALPA in an interview for the story. She delivered the union’s message that TWIC is designed to counter any attempt by unauthorized individuals to gain access to secure areas and equipment, whether by wearing an unauthorized uniform or using another means. The TWIC includes fingerprints, facial features, and other biometric information that make it an extremely secure method of identification.

As a result of the CLTV story, and ALPA’s driving home the TWIC message, U.S. Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Barack Obama (D-Ill.) asked Congress and the Transportation Security Administration to investigate the easy availability of airline pilot uniforms online and the technologies available to address the issue.

The Illinois Senators said in the letter to Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), chairman and ranking member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee respectively, that: “We urge the committee to fully investigate this matter to determine why it is so easy for civilians to buy uniforms, how a civilian could get through security in disguise and whether tighter security measures for airline personnel need to be implemented. …We would also like to know how new and, as yet, unimplemented technology, such as the biometric identification card for transportation workers, could help in this regard.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**** NOTE: I DO NOT SPEAK NOR AM I A SPOKESMAN FOR ALPA OR ANY AIRLINE ... ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN, ALL POSTS COPIED ARE ATTRIBUTED TO THEIR AUTHORS ... A4s ****

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
2 Delta Flights Arrive Without Incident At JFK

Delta Flights 119 And 81 Arrive Without Incident At JFK

Friday February 4, 4:52 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP)--Two Delta Air Lines (DAL) planes landed without incident at Kennedy Airport Friday after authorities received several reports that they had been threatened. Witnesses reported that a passenger from each flight had been removed.

Both aircraft were searched and the pilots interviewed, but no further problems were discovered, authorities said.

Dag Erik Kleven, 20, a passenger from Norway who was on Flight 119 from Paris, said that when his flight landed in New York, he saw two law enforcement officers board the plane. He said a man in his 20s sitting in the first-class section was removed from the plane without incident.

Cable news outlets reported a "person of interest," someone whose name was similiar to a person on a security list, was taken off one of the planes and questioned, but that was never confirmed.

Marcel Teunissen of the Hague, who was aboard Delta Flight 81 from Amsterdam, said that an announcement had been made before the flight took off that there would be a slight delay because a woman had been taken off the plane due to security concerns.

A spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Steve Coleman, said that at about 12:45 p.m., his agency, which operates Kennedy Airport, received a number of reports, which he said were subsequently found to be erroneous, from "various federal agencies."

He said the reports alleged first that there were seven "people of interest" on Flight 119, which had originated from Bombay, India, and then only one.

A third report, Coleman said, had the plane being escorted to Kennedy Airport by F16 fighters. "The Port Authority took the necessary precautions and mobilized," Coleman said. Port Authority and federal law enforcement agents questioned both pilots and determined "there was absolutely no problem on board either flight," he said.

Earlier, MSNBC reported that Flight 119 had received a threat that came into NORAD, or the North American Aerospace Defense Command, in Colorado Springs, Colo., that on Flight 81, from Amsterdam, there was a "discovery of a person of interest."

Delta Airlines issued a press release saying both aircraft were momentarily held back from the gate on instructions from the Transportation Security Administration before being cleared. The aircraft, it said, have resumed scheduled service.

HUH ????

Status
Not open for further replies.