• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline consideration/credit of Helo flight hours?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I'm guessing very few .... fly in formation. (I've never gotten a ticket that says I'm on American Airlines flight 765 dash two)...
And then, there's always the ol' "exception" that proves the rule ---

When one of my former airlines brought the Concorde (almost said SST -- I wish!!) into DFW for the initial look-see-big-party ... "we" provided the crowd warm-up w/ a fly-by w/ three (3 !!!) big ol' orange WHALES in a rather "tight" parade right echelon entry into the DFW "break" .... even though DFW never knew they had one ... :D

I also remember an A-7 driver coming through the clag NORDO on the wing of a 727(?) many years ago. Can't remember the exact details or location ... if I remember correctly, Navy guys were flyin' both birds. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This one?:
braniff.jpg

Heloanjin

pilot
I have a bud flying something similar (Oil Rigs/Oil Tankers) out in Oregon... He loves it.. Gets lots of time off.. Pay not as good as but makes up for it in QOL... If the A/C is broke or in maint they still get paid.. And then if he works on days off, gets extra... But he gets to see his 4 kids grow up and according to him that is priceless.

Yes, QOL is a big factor when it comes to many of the helo jobs out there.

I think EMS is a great gig. I am currently flying for the Maryland State Police.

I love the hours. I am home every night or every day. I haven't used any vacation hours, yet I have had a number or 10 day stretches off to take trips.

I love the flying. Nothing more rewarding than landing in random fields or on roads to fly critically injured people to trauma centers. We also get SAR and law enforcment calls from time to time.

I don't love the pay so much. Here at MDSP the pay does leave something to be desired. $55k to start. Goes to about $60k after a year if you have over 2500 hours, and slowly climbs after that. Without my retirement pay, I wouldn't be able to do it in this area. Local EMS guys flying for the privates get quite a bit more and seem to like the job as much as I do.

This isn't a case of loving what I do because it is what I do. This is good work, and there are lots of openings around the US...if you have about 2000 hours or more helo time. You're not likely to find too many 6 figure salaries, unless you pick up a lot of overtime or go overseas. But you are not on the road like the airline guys (an important factor for me with kids).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I don't love the pay so much. Here at MDSP the pay does leave something to be desired. $55k to start. Goes to about $60k after a year if you have over 25k hours, and slowly climbs after that.

Good God! A4s is the only person I've heard of with that many hours. Even the saltiest of cranky sim instructors tops out at about 20K hours.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Still trying to figure out what my "powered lift" hours will mean on the outside.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Still trying to figure out what my "powered lift" hours will mean on the outside.

Dunno.. Look good on a resume though! I would say in the next 5 years or so when Osprey guys get out that will be a big indicator as to how Airlines will look at those hours.. Also how many hours are ya'll getting in those things and how much is PIC?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Now that I'm fully qualified, about 200/year, most (for me almost all, save a couple initial Xs and checkrides) of that as PIC. Should get a lot more once we deploy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This one?:
braniff.jpg
That would be "Her" ... 'cept they were never painted in BI livery and were flown in BA and AirFrog colors -- the BI scheme was due to be applied sometime in 1980 and of course, we all know what happened .... :icon_cryi

Concorde Inauguration Day @ DFW airport, January 1979

biconcordeday12jan1979lc4.jpg

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Now that I'm fully qualified, about 200/year, most (for me almost all, save a couple initial Xs and checkrides) of that as PIC. Should get a lot more once we deploy.

Just looked a cockpit shot and lots of 'Glass' which is nice! Looks like a lot of helo-like controls. What are it's flight characteristics like? Are the controls manipulated more like an Airplane or more like a helo? If it acts more like an airplane then I think you would have a very good argument to count that flight time???

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
It's much more like an airplane--the "Thrust Control Lever" works like a throttle (i.e. push for more power), plus we spend way more time in APLN than CONV mode. We also do a significant number of STOs and run-on (rolling) landings.

I don't think there will be a significant number of commercial tiltrotors for some time. My ongoing concern is that my time won't count as helo time for helo jobs, nor as fixed-wing for airplane jobs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think there will be a significant number of commercial tiltrotors for some time. My ongoing concern is that my time won't count as helo time for helo jobs, nor as fixed-wing for airplane jobs.

But you will have the satisfaction of knowing you did a good job. Isn't that good enough?

;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

For the rotary side of things, your 206 IP time should still be pretty helpful, right?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I think I have more than the mins for most helo jobs. Some of the higher-end fire, EMS, and especially, uh...government contractors require more than I have, at least on their lists of required qualifications. However, depending on where the USMC takes me, my most recent "helo" time might be 10 years in the past by the time I'm in the civilian job market.

I don't really want airlines, unless I stumble upon a really good gig, i.e. I don't want to spend 5 years making burger-flipping wages as FO on a Saab in the hopes of something better. I really want a reasonable(e.g. at least 1/2 my AD pay if you get my drift) -paying job doing something interesting, learn the ropes and perhaps start my own aviation-services company someday.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I really want a reasonable(e.g. at least 1/2 my AD pay if you get my drift) -paying job doing something interesting, learn the ropes and perhaps start my own aviation-services company someday.
You Sir might be able to make a million bucks doing this.....as long as you start with 2 million:D