• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrat crash site website...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have heard it referred to as "aviation archeology". I'd rather research and hike out to a crash site than follow GPS coordinates to a geo-cache.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm surprised at how many sites he has been to. Interesting.

dotonfire

The incident was a while ago and he has since recovered, but he's still suffering some after-effects of those injuries. The aircraft had a hydraulic failure and both he and the pilot ejected during a roll. His arm was nearly torn apart by the vertical stabilizer and ended up dangling from a cliff, hanging by his parachute. The pilot's parachute unfortunately never deployed.

blackbart22

pilot
I've flown (and been flown) in the QF-86H pictured. One of the dates in my log is 12/04/1973. The H model was really fun to fly, but the remote controller could rally throw you around. When we wrote the -1 suppliment, we included a restriction that he couldn't turn more than 720 degrees at over 4 G's. It's a different world when the guy p[ulling the G's can't feel them.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I thought it was pretty weird and a bit macabre, until I realized: I've spent a some time and coin doing the same thing. . .I just have a preference for the crash sites that are underwater.

Hellcat in Naragansett. . .Thunderbolt off Lanikai. . .Corsair off Diamond Head. . .B-24 (x2) off Haleiwa

And if you think about it, most wreck diving is the same thing, with ships instead of aircraft.